DBS Feature Article in Revolver Magazine Dec. edition

zuben7o7

I'm not the biggest fan of DBS around but I still find the band intriguing. Sorry if its already news, but just bought Dec. edition of Revolver magazine mostly because the hottest girl in rock - Lzzy Hale from Halestorm - is on the cover. Went looking through to find a nice full page pic of the band and an interview with Chester, mostly the same old stuff about how he was really bad off in 2005. They compared DBS to a Stone Temple Pilots meets Depeche Mode sound which is pretty accurate.

Anyways, did anyone ever really realize how bad Chester was back in 2005? This is some pretty hardcore stuff he's talking about, Layne Staley (Alice in Chains) in early 2002 type stuff. Also, a bit off topic, but Mike Shinoda and some of the other band members seem a bit... "clean" so to speak. Chester mentions coming to the studio to work on MTM early on doing nothing but smoking weed and bringing beer in while the others were working. Do you think the rest of the band condones this, especially Mike, who has the best relationship with Chester and is the mechanics of the band. Just like an opinion, we all know LP is not your typical rock group in the sense that their all smashed on drugs all the time.

I'm not the biggest fan of DBS around but I still find the band intriguing. Sorry if its already news, but just bought Dec. edition of Revolver magazine mostly because the hottest girl in rock - Lzzy Hale from Halestorm - is on the cover. Went looking through to find a nice full page pic of the band and an interview with Chester, mostly the same old stuff about how he was really bad off in 2005. They compared DBS to a Stone Temple Pilots meets Depeche Mode sound which is pretty accurate.

Anyways, did anyone ever really realize how bad Chester was back in 2005? This is some pretty hardcore stuff he's talking about, Layne Staley (Alice in Chains) in early 2002 type stuff. Also, a bit off topic, but Mike Shinoda and some of the other band members seem a bit... "clean" so to speak. Chester mentions coming to the studio to work on MTM early on doing nothing but smoking weed and bringing beer in while the others were working. Do you think the rest of the band condones this, especially Mike, who has the best relationship with Chester and is the mechanics of the band. Just like an opinion, we all know LP is not your typical rock group in the sense that their all smashed on drugs all the time.

I'm pretty sure they just roll with whatever one of the members is choosing to do. Mike's been known to drink from time to time, and Rob battled drug addictions as a teenager. They aren't "perfect" when it comes to being clean all the time, they just make sure it doesn't interfere with their creativity/performance - they have a pretty strict policy against the use of drugs/alcohol by anyone on their crew when they're on tour.

Some musicians totally fall apart and lose their creative focus when they're going through substance abuse problems, others don't have a problem with it, and a few even thrive on it. Chester's said that he never really stopped writing songs even though he had effectively hit rock bottom, so I think as long as he's able to keep himself together in a creative and performing capacity (which he did throughout 2004-2006, when most of this was going on), whatever he chooses to do isn't a big issue with his bandmates. We all know they were concerned for his well-being, but it wasn't like he totally dropped out of the Linkin Park picture during that period.

The hiatus was at least partially due to the conflicts with Warner - the gap between the end of the Meteora touring cycle and the release of MTM surely wouldn't have been as long as it was if they hadn't gone through the lawsuit and subsequent contract re-negotiations. I think even if Chester hadn't been going through problems, they still would've taken a break when they did, because they hadn't really had one since Hybrid Theory came out. They went in the studio to do Reanimation in 2002 right after Projekt Revolution ended, and there was only a gap of a couple weeks between the end of the Reanimation sessions and the start of the Meteora sessions. Working almost nonstop for 4 years straight is enough to burn any band out, even if they're totally healthy.

I'm pretty sure they just roll with whatever one of the members is choosing to do. Mike's been known to drink from time to time, and Rob battled drug addictions as a teenager. They aren't "perfect" when it comes to being clean all the time, they just make sure it doesn't interfere with their creativity/performance - they have a pretty strict policy against the use of drugs/alcohol by anyone on their crew when they're on tour.

Some musicians totally fall apart and lose their creative focus when they're going through substance abuse problems, others don't have a problem with it, and a few even thrive on it. Chester's said that he never really stopped writing songs even though he had effectively hit rock bottom, so I think as long as he's able to keep himself together in a creative and performing capacity (which he did throughout 2004-2006, when most of this was going on), whatever he chooses to do isn't a big issue with his bandmates. We all know they were concerned for his well-being, but it wasn't like he totally dropped out of the Linkin Park picture during that period.

The hiatus was at least partially due to the conflicts with Warner - the gap between the end of the Meteora touring cycle and the release of MTM surely wouldn't have been as long as it was if they hadn't gone through the lawsuit and subsequent contract re-negotiations. I think even if Chester hadn't been going through problems, they still would've taken a break when they did, because they hadn't really had one since Hybrid Theory came out. They went in the studio to do Reanimation in 2002 right after Projekt Revolution ended, and there was only a gap of a couple weeks between the end of the Reanimation sessions and the start of the Meteora sessions. Working almost nonstop for 4 years straight is enough to burn any band out, even if they're totally healthy.

Good material. Obviously, as you said, Warner was the biggest reason and most definitely the non-stop schedule the band had since HT was dropped. But I do think Chester's falling out had at least something to do with it. When I say "clean" in describing the other members, I wanted to say that very loosely. Obviously, we don't know all the real nitty-gritty backgrounds of the other members because, in reality, they are pretty private outside of CB. I'm sure they all have done there fair share of the goods, but they certainly seem like a band that has music and progression and "doing the right thing" while making good alternative music. I just don't see Phoenix coming in with a bag of weed, saying "Let's all get high before we write this song" like they describe CB as doing.

In the end, CB probably indeed had very little to do with the grand hiatus between Meteora and MTM. However, I'm sure it played a role in somewhere down the road in the early phases of writing and such.

On a side note that is referrenced to this, as I have mentioned, one of the biggest reasons I dislike this DBS project is that this "sideproject" is taking away directly at time that should be spent on LP's record. There is very little way right now CB can be helping LP out at a crucial time on a crucial record when he is out with another 6 piece outfit playing international shows. Hey, more power to him, I just think he could have found a much better time to introduce this "sideproject" to the mainstream world and prepare for what could amount to a year or more of touring.

Umm, I don't wanna interrupt your pretty insightful conversation but why the hell is there a December edition of a magazine coming out at the end of October? Is Revolver a mag that only comes out every 2 months? I should get my pawns on the mag as well since I found that interview snippet on the homepage very interesting!

Edited by immortalsoul

Umm, I don't wanna interrupt your pretty insightful conversation but why the hell is there a December edition of a magazine coming out at the end of October? Is Revolver a mag that only comes out every 2 months? I should get my pawns on the mag as well since I found that interview snippet on the homepage very interesting!

Haha, I have always wanted to know why magazines do that. I was like DECEMBER. WTF?

You know actually, in the past year, it seems like LP may not need Chester to be doing much at this point in time in regards to making the new album.

It seems like Mike writes/produces/does a lot of the dirty work, scats the vocal melodies, and then Chester comes in and replaces the scatting with singing when it's time.

From the work aspect, it seems all LP may be missing right now is Chester's input, which in the end only sucks for Chester. Though from a good buddy stand-point, they won't release the new LP until DBS has done its fair share of touring and such.

And as far as the other members of LP being clean, yeah they are. And I like that, though we don't know for sure what they're into. I mean some of it is probably good natured stuff, like Mike drinking. It's legal and he's a grown man. I just want these guys to be around for a long time, I'm real glad Chester has sobered up.

You know actually, in the past year, it seems like LP may not need Chester to be doing much at this point in time in regards to making the new album.

It seems like Mike writes/produces/does a lot of the dirty work, scats the vocal melodies, and then Chester comes in and replaces the scatting with singing when it's time.

From the work aspect, it seems all LP may be missing right now is Chester's input, which in the end only sucks for Chester. Though from a good buddy stand-point, they won't release the new LP until DBS has done its fair share of touring and such.

And as far as the other members of LP being clean, yeah they are. And I like that, though we don't know for sure what they're into. I mean some of it is probably good natured stuff, like Mike drinking. It's legal and he's a grown man. I just want these guys to be around for a long time, I'm real glad Chester has sobered up.

You're forgetting one thing. Chester is also writing, which is big thing.