Intros/Outros

rsw2010

What's the name for the one step closer live intros with the epic gunshot samples, ie Dallas 2008 projekt rev and others?

Most of the intros/outros LP uses live don't have any special names for them. They also used the gunshot sample to open both of the extended OSC intros, which are completely different otherwise.

• 6 months later...

This list does not include concert intros that then went into the first song normally (i.e. any of the random instrumentals that went into With You, Don't Stay, etc. when they opened shows), show openers are only included if something was changed in the structure of the song itself. It also only includes intros and outros, not things that were done in the middle of songs.

If I'm missing any (good luck thinking of any more, because I sure can't!), let me know.

Papercut:

June 2004-September 2004: Extended string intro

August 2006-August 2008: Longer version of above string intro

One Step Closer:

June 2004-September 2004: Short clip of 1STP KLOSR for intro

April 2007-March 2008 (most shows): Extended intro #1

June 2008-August 2008: Extended intro #2

January 2008-Present: Extended outro

With You:

January 2004-September 2004: Short clip of WTH>YOU for intro

August 2006: Concert intro from 2004 used as partial intro, straight into heavy guitar part

Points of Authority:

June 2004-September 2004: Short clip of PTS.OF.ATHRTY for intro

June 2004-December 2007: Extra hits at end of outro

May 2007-August 2008: Extended intro (often w/various Mike verses)

January 2008-March 2008: Extended outro #1 (sometimes started with bass, sometimes with guitar)

June 2008-August 2008: Extended outro #2

July 2009-Present: New extended intro w/various Mike verses

July 2009-Present: Extended outro #3 (almost identical to #2 other than the beginning guitar part)

Crawling:

Februrary 2003-March 2004: Short clip of Opening/KRWLNG for intro

June 2004-August 2006, January 2008-Present: Full-length KRWLNG intro (w/Hands Held High verse starting in July 2008)

Runaway:

January 2004-September 2004: Alternate intro/transition from end of With You

By Myself:

April 2003-October 2003: Extended guitar intro w/bridge lyrics

In the End:

November 2003-September 2004: Extended string intro

A Place for My Head:

April 2003-September 2004: Repeated synth notes before regular intro

January 2008-June 2008: Extended guitar solo intro

Forgotten:

July 2000-May 2001: Alternate beat intro

June 2001-February 2002: Extended guitar intro

Don't Stay:

November 2003-March 2004: Extended synth intro

June 2004-September 2004: Extended intro w/'Gacela of the Dark Death'

Somewhere I Belong:

June 2004-September 2004: Short extended drum/guitar intro

April 2007-December 2007: Longer version of above drum/guitar intro

January 2008-March 2008: Drum/guitar intro again, w/different guitar parts

June 2008-Present: Album version intro, but the beat comes in on the 3rd repeat instead of the 2nd

Lying From You:

June 2008-August 2008: Extended intro

Faint:

April 2007-Present: Extended outro w/guitar solo

Figure.09:

July 2004-September 2004: Short extended beat intro

July 2004-September 2004: Extended outro/transition into From the Inside

Breaking the Habit:

November 2003-March 2004, August 2006-August 2007: Extended intro, piano/first verse

June 2004-September 2004: Extended piano solo intro followed by above intro

July 2004-September 2004: Extended outro/transition intro Numb

August 2006: Extended outro w/additional chorus/piano loop

August 2007-March 2008 (most shows): Extended piano solo intro (various different versions) followed by November '03-March '04 intro

December 2007 (KROQ Almost Acoustic Xmas): 'God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen' played as piano intro

January 2008-Present (most shows): Extended outro w/additional chorus/string fade-out

July 2009-Present: New extended piano intro, straight into album version (no first verse over piano)

From the Inside:

November 2003-June 2004, August 2006-Present: Extended synth loop/guitar feedback intro

Nobody's Listening:

April 2003-March 2004 (most shows): Extended outro, often w/breakdancers

Numb:

October 2003 (a few shows): Extended guitar intro

June 2004: Palm-muted guitar intro, followed by one extra repeat of intro riff

April 2007-Present: Extended piano outro

Wake:

June 2008-August 2008: "Wake 2.0"

Given Up:

January 2008-Present: Short extended outro

July 2009-Present: Extended clapping intro (transition from Session)

Bleed it Out:

July 2007-Present: ...Pretty much everything you can think of has been done to this song. I'm not even going to try to list all of them, lol.

What I've Done:

May 2007-December 2007 (many shows): Keyboard intro (Shadow of the Day/WID interlude from Minutes to Midnight)

January 2008-March 2008, July 2008-Present (most shows): Extended "AMBO" intro

June-July 2008: Extended piano intro

Hands Held High:

December 2007 (KROQ Almost Acoustic Xmas): Extended intro w/'O Little Town of Bethlehem' by children's choir

No More Sorrow:

May 2007-July 2007 (some shows): Extended EBow guitar intro

July 2007-August 2008 (some shows): "Short" extended intro

July 2007-Present (many shows): "Long" extended intro

Valentine's Day:

February 2008-June 2008 (a few shows): Extended guitar intro

The Little Things Give You Away:

July 2007-August 2008: Extended keyboard intro (either piano or organ), sometimes w/added Chester vocals

P5HNG ME A*WY:

January 2004-March 2004 (most shows): Extended guitar intro (harmonics from original Pushing Me Away)

Numb/Encore:

February 2005 (MFR show): Extended guitar intro

Step Up:

September 2001-March 2002 (most shows): "Who can rock a rhyme like this" crowd participation intro

High Voltage:

June 2001-September 2001 (most shows): Extended guitar intro

My December:

December 2000 (KROQ Almost Acoustic Xmas): Alternate piano intro

September 2001-February 2002, January 2004-March 2004: Ending slightly changed since studio version fades out

It's Goin' Down:

November 2003-March 2004: Extended "big ending" outro

November 2003-March 2004: First verse rapped acapella before song

Step Up/Nobody's Listening/It's Goin' Down:

June 2004-September 2004: Alternate extended intro on Step Up portion

June 2004-September 2004: Same "big ending" on It's Goin' Down portion as with the full song

We Made It:

July 2008: Short extended intro, piano outro

New Divide:

June 2009-Present: Extended intro w/droning synth note and sometimes piano

You missed some intros & I will make some supplements...->

Papercut:

January 2001(probably?)-August 2001: High Voltage sample (an interview for Mike) for intro

One Step Closer:

January 2001(probably?)-June 2001: Use a film (I forgot) sample for intro,or probably,there are other intros in OSC in 2001.......

Crawling:

January 2001(probably?)-? 2001: Use some beats (like the wind blowing) for intro (like Rock Am Ring 2001)

Runaway:

The transition to With You/Alt. intro started to play in November 2003.....

In The End:

The string intro was started to play on late-2003 to late-2004,but LP used this intro in 2006 shows.....

APFMH:

In 2008,few shows didn't have the guitar solo intro....

Nobody's Listening:

Except two Asia shows(Japan and Korea),other shows which have the song have the intro.....

Numb:

Only few Japan shows & Korea show in 2003 have the guitar intro.

Edited by franktaiwan

You missed some intros & I will make some supplements...->

Papercut:

January 2001(probably?)-August 2001: High Voltage sample (an interview for Mike) for intro

One Step Closer:

January 2001(probably?)-June 2001: Use a film (I forgot) sample for intro,or probably,there are other intros in OSC in 2001.......

Crawling:

January 2001(probably?)-? 2001: Use some beats (like the wind blowing) for intro (like Rock Am Ring 2001)

When it comes to these 3, I consider them more as interludes rather than intros to songs, they did always precede certain songs, but they don't really have any musical connection to them, the interlude just plays, and then when it's done, they play the song normally.

Runaway:

The transition to With You/Alt. intro started to play in November 2003.....

In The End:

The string intro was started to play on late-2003 to late-2004,but LP used this intro in 2006 shows.....

Thanks for those, fixed.

APFMH:

In 2008,few shows didn't have the guitar solo intro....

Not sure why I hadn't noted that before, fixed that too.

Nobody's Listening:

Except two Asia shows(Japan and Korea),other shows which have the song have the intro.....

You mean the outro? I have that marked as "most shows," I'm pretty sure there were a few other shows outside of the 2003 Asian shows that didn't have the extended outro, I just don't want to go to the trouble of checking every one.

Numb:

Only few Japan shows & Korea show in 2003 have the guitar intro.

I also have that marked as "a few shows" already.

A Place For My Head had that weird piano/beat/Mr. Hahn scratching at one point. Someone posted it on here.

I dunno if that counts as an intro or interlude.

That was a show intro that was used when APFMH opened shows in late 2000/early 2001, so it doesn't fit in here.

But, I didn't know whether LP used '04 string intro in 2005 shows (MTR & Live 8).......

*LP used short clip of KRWLNG/Opening (like '03 & early-'04) of Crawling

intro in Live 8 in 2005.

*I didn't know whether LP used short or long version of KRWLNG over Crawling intro in 2005 Music of Relief.....(Because the bootlegs of the show are very uncirculated!!!)

*I didn't know whether LP used drum intro (like '04 & Live in texas) of APFMH in PR 2003....

• 4 months later...

2010:

The Requiem: Other Pitch Version

The Radiance: Piano & Scratching Version, go to BTH.

Wretches and Kings: Scratching Intro.

The Messenger: Other Pitch Version.

Papercut & Crawling: Normal Version

Bleed It Out: Short Jam Ending (September ATS Release Show) & Ext. Outro & w/ BITS or APFMH bridge (sometimes)

What I've Done: Normal Version

Breaking The Habit: Normal Intro & A cappella outro

2010:

The Requiem: Other Pitch Version

The Radiance: Piano & Scratching Version, go to BTH.

Wretches and Kings: Scratching Intro.

The Messenger: Other Pitch Version.

Papercut & Crawling: Normal Version

Bleed It Out: Short Jam Ending (September ATS Release Show) & Ext. Outro & w/ BITS or APFMH bridge (sometimes)

What I've Done: Normal Version

Breaking The Habit: Normal Intro & A cappella outro

The Requiem is played exactly the same live as it is on the album. It's a straight playback of the original recording.

The intro to Wretches and Kings is, more precisely, a mashup of the Mario Savio speech with the instrumental portion of The Radiance. The Radiance is essentially split into 2 sections during the show - the instrumental portion is used after The Requiem/during the intro to Wretches and Kings, while the speech by Oppenheimer is used later during the interlude between Numb and Breaking the Habit.

The extended outro to Faint has been shortened a bit for 2010, and the extended outro to One Step Closer has been slightly modified as well (the big pause before the outro riff kicks in has been removed).

There's a very subtle, but noticeable, keyboard transition between The Catalyst and The Messenger in the live shows. The Catalyst ends on a D root note on the keyboards, and Mike modulates it up half a step to an Eb to fade into the beginning of The Messenger.

The Messenger is moved from the key of G to the key of Eb live, and the outro is extended, which also features some drumming by Rob that isn't present on the studio version.

The extended outro to Given Up has one additional drum fill/guitar chord added to the end of it, Given Up normally ends on an E, then they add an F chord after that, since New Divide starts on an F.

The extended outro to Given Up has one additional drum fill/guitar chord added to the end of it, Given Up normally ends on an E, then they add an F chord after that, since New Divide starts on an F.

I actually noticed that. First I was trying to work it out then I realized that ND starts on the F. so its basically a key changer to slide into ND