Valentine's Day.... Fire?

Cyro

Now I more or less came up with this while bored, and I'm not saying its true, so don't bash me... but when I was listening to Fire earlier this morning, it kind of reminded me of Valentine's Day... If you listen to the lyrics in both songs, it could pretty much be interpreted like so... Fire is the sequal to Valentine's Day! I think it's pretty intriguing if nothing else.

Once again... I understand Dead By Sunrise is not Linkin Park, and Linkin Park isn't Dead By Sunrise, but with that being said... Does anyone else understand what I'm saying here?

I won't say drastically different... but let me elaborate further since everyone apparently didn't understand fully from the first post...

Velentine's Day, is like the immediate reaction to the death of a loved one

Fire, is like the eventual reaction to the death of a loved one, after learning to accept it, realizing that they'll always be with you

Which is why I said that it's like the sequel, it was just an observation. It wasn't really meant to be over analyzed too much.

Edited by Cyro

Fire could have very well been written before Valentine's Day though. Also, you could place Shadow Of The Day in this category too since that song is also about death. Leave Out All The Rest is too but not in the sense that we're talking about.

To me the entire M2M era (DBS included) seems to be about Chester and the band getting over personal problems in their life. Chesters divorce and minor alcohol addiction, and I'm guessing other private matters between the band.

A lot of the songs on MTM deal with these things, and we all know that the DBS album deals with what Chester went through with his divorce, addiction and what happened with LP.

EDIT: I'm bored, so I'll elaborate. Keep in mind these are all my opinions on what the songs are about, so don't jump down my throat if you don't agree with me. Also remember that Mike and Chester wrote all the lyrics to MTM so all the songs are about their problems or universal problems. Obviously the DBS songs are straight from Chester's heart.

Given Up: Pretty much a song about when everything is going wrong and you're making self destructive decisions, Chester said this somewhere but I don't remember where. Chester could have very well felt this way going through his divorce at first as well as LP when they went through the label problems.

Leave Out All The Rest: This song is obvious. Pretty much saying you want to remembered for the good things when you die and not the bad things. Also about admitting your problems.

Bleed It Out: Mike wrote the lyrics for this song over 100 songs so the lyrics are pretty much a whole joke and just winging it while keeping ''fuck it'' in mind. The lyrics are so crazy that they suit the style of the song. The most obvious lines are ''And here we go for the 100th time, hand grenade pins in every line (not caring) and ''I bleed it out'' (about having to keep re-writing it'').

Shadow Of The Day: About death or someone close to you leaving or moving away.

What I've Done: Direct quote from Blender magazine 2007. ''The new album's first single, 'What I've Done', is a personal reckoning of sorts, drawing both on Bennington's relationship turmoil and his history of drug abuse. ''I've made some really bad decisions in my life'', Bennington says. ''And I got to a point where I realized I'm kind of a jerk. So this song is about saying, 'You know what? It's me.''

Hands Held High: Obviously the song is about what the US was going through at the time, as well as now pretty much. Not going to get into it to much.

No More Sorrow: Basically a song attacking establishment . Quote from Blender magazine 2007. ''No More Sorrow slams the 'thieves and hypocrites' profiting from the Iraq war''.

Valentine's Day: A song about death and being alone without the person. The song is pretty much about the pain you go through losing a loved one. Chester also told Kerrang! magazine in 2007 that this is the darkest song lyrically on the album.

In Between: It's known that Mike wrote the lyrics and Chester said it came from the most sincere heartfelt place. I actually don't know what the song is about but whatever the situation is, it meant a lot to Mike.

In Pieces: Chester has stated numerous times that this song is about what we went through with his divorce, and the lyrics are pretty much blatantly obvious about what the song is about as it is. Ending a big relationship and realizing what is happening and becoming the bigger person.

The Little Things Give You Away: We all know what the song is about, Hurricane Katrina. Direct quote from Blender magazine 2007. ''The Little Things Give You Away'' is a stinging indictment of the government's botching of Hurricane Katrina.''

Fire: The song is about knowing that even though this important person in your life has passed on, they will always be there with you. Unlike Valentine's Day it's about accepting that this is the way it's going to be and not to beat yourself up over the death, but rather understand that it wasn't your fault and the person will be there with you in your heart and mind forever. Could also be about his ex-band member, I believe, that died on a brain tumor and he couldn't make it play the benefit show before he died because of Warner?

Crawl Back In: Direct quote from Chester. “It’s a song about feeling as if I don’t have my own identity and, at the same time, feeling like you wish you were never born,” he says. “That song came out of the despair you feel being addicted to something.”

My Suffering: Pretty obvious what the song is about but here's a quote from DBS's official biography. Bennington delves deeper into his addiction in “My Suffering,” in which he sings, “I’ve seen the devil in a smile/I’ve found salvation in a vile/My happy ending exists only in my dreams.”

Edited by Geki

• 2 weeks later...

Deep thoughts Geki :)

I truly sympathise with your experiances. It also proves that chester is much more of a thoughtfull lyricist than people give him credit for.

People bash Chester's lyrics because they're simple/they just get to the point. I think there are three different kinds of lyricists. The first type being the type that is very complex and you can't figure out the meaning of the song. The second type being the type like Chester and Mike who get straight to the point and write lyrics that matter to people. The third type being the type that just sucks at writing, much like Fred Durst from Limp Bizkit or Lil' Wayne. ;)

People bash Chester's lyrics because they're simple/they just get to the point. I think there are three different kinds of lyricists. The first type being the type that is very complex and you can't figure out the meaning of the song. The second type being the type like Chester and Mike who get straight to the point and write lyrics that matter to people. The third type being the type that just sucks at writing, much like Fred Durst from Limp Bizkit or Lil' Wayne. ;)

Don't forget the ones who don't even write their lyrics themselves and always need to rely on certain songwriters *lol*

Don't forget the ones who don't even write their lyrics themselves and always need to rely on certain songwriters *lol*

Oh yeah. That would fall under my third type of lyricists. :lol: *Cough*90% of today's hip-hop/rap artists*Cough*

To me the entire M2M era (DBS included) seems to be about Chester and the band getting over personal problems in their life. Chesters divorce and minor alcohol addiction, and I'm guessing other private matters between the band.

Chester said in an interview he did recently that he would drink 2 bottles of jack daniels, 2 bottles of grey goose vodka, and 2 cases of beer a night in his road bus. He also said that he smoked a ton of weed!

To me that was major addiction!

Edited by lperocker