'Over Each Other' Out October 24

martinez

I really like this song but i think it's very very bad decision for releasing this as a single especially when album isn't released so far. Maybe as a 5th single it could be cool. But pop/rock song before release is shoot in the foot. They bring back some old fanbase with TEM/HITC and releasing something in completely different taste.

I hate that songs from FZ are so shortened. Some parts should be extended, decorated more. There is big potential to doing this and Song ends when its start to be really great.

Edited by MMM

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Yucker said:

A música me dá vibrações de MTM e um pouco de Post Traumatic, e algum tipo de sentimento de algo como One Ok Rock.

A colaboração de Jon Green está realmente presente na melodia da voz.

Eu gosto disso, um belo começo e um final de alta energia para uma "balada".

The first thought that came to mind was: this sounds like One Ok Rock and I loved it. 

I love the song, and I probably like it more than HITC because unlike that song it feels like it's adding new sounds and ideas to the LP catalog. 

The melodies and lyrics are strong and very OML (hello JG), the production is really a mix of almost every album so far, and Emily's performance is great. I wish they really let her off the leash with a few more measures at the end to just go for it and do more vocal layers

I agree it's a bit surprising to see something so soft/different so early, but I love to see it. I think a lot of new/casual fans who are just hyped for this cycle will grow to really like it and it'll expand their tastes accordingly, and it also reminds everyone that LP is more than their top 10 guitar-driven tracks on Spotify. 

I seriously cannot imagine asking for more loud guitars after 2 songs with classic LP guitar walls coming out of nowhere and more heavy songs on the album confirmed lol. LP has been more than loud guitars for 13+ years now and none of this was ever a guarantee, and they're out playing the heavy classics on the road, too. Fans of heavy LP are getting absolutely fed and now fans of the other stuff are getting OEO (which is still heavier than anything on OML, half of ATS and LT)

2 hours ago, AceWav said:

Though I know you feel strongly about LP moving on without Chaz, it’s cool to see you around here. I feel like you haven’t frequented here for a while. Anyways! Everyone opinion is welcome 🙏🏻 

cheers man ! I still have very strong feelings on that and im finding it difficult to see this new era as something other than a cheap copy, but i want to try and like it as no matter how i feel CB is never coming back. Difficult times

18 minutes ago, YRQRM0 said:

I love the song, and I probably like it more than HITC because unlike that song it feels like it's adding new sounds and ideas to the LP catalog. 

The melodies and lyrics are strong and very OML (hello JG), the production is really a mix of almost every album so far, and Emily's performance is great. I wish they really let her off the leash with a few more measures at the end to just go for it and do more vocal layers

I agree it's a bit surprising to see something so soft/different so early, but I love to see it. I think a lot of new/casual fans who are just hyped for this cycle will grow to really like it and it'll expand their tastes accordingly, and it also reminds everyone that LP is more than their top 10 guitar-driven tracks on Spotify. 

I seriously cannot imagine asking for more loud guitars after 2 songs with classic LP guitar walls coming out of nowhere and more heavy songs on the album confirmed lol. LP has been more than loud guitars for 13+ years now and none of this was ever a guarantee, and they're out playing the heavy classics on the road, too. Fans of heavy LP are getting absolutely fed and now fans of the other stuff are getting OEO (which is still heavier than anything on OML, half of ATS and LT)

Well said, all of it. That's all i can say. I agree completely. 

19 minutes ago, YRQRM0 said:

The melodies and lyrics are strong and very OML (hello JG)

If that's the case, I really hope it is more NCSM-level melody than Battle Symphony-level melody ^^' 

Taking production out of the equation and on a pure melodic level, the first gives me the chills, while the second never did much for me.

10 minutes ago, Subs said:

cheers man ! I still have very strong feelings on that and im finding it difficult to see this new era as something other than a cheap copy, but i want to try and like it as no matter how i feel CB is never coming back. Difficult times

The cool thing is, you're still showing up here with the rest of us and giving the new music a very graceful chance in this new Era. You're a true LP fan. I had to go into ATS album knowing i wasn't too excited about their drastic style change, but i stayed and learned to appreciate the different music over time, and it's still growing on me! ATS of all albums, is the one I won't ever get used to. All in all, we have our fav eras and our least fav Eras, and that's part of being a genuine fan of any band. 

The song melodically feels like it would be at home on OML, but it's got way more energy and LP-like production. It's not a masterpiece or anything but it's pretty solid imo and much better than most of OML.

I just wish the songs were a bit more adventurous in terms of structure. They're all so short and with no real twists, I want something like Blackout or A Line in the Sand where the song just takes a big turn and goes somewhere unexpected. I think all 3 are good though, with Emptiness Machine being really great.

EDIT: Also wish Brad remembered how to do literally anything else on guitar besides play octaves lol.

Edited by nickishere12345
Added on

I don't dislike it, but I'd definitely have it at the bottom of my list of the songs we've heard so far. I like the mellow-ness of the track, but there's nothing exciting about it. It reminds me of Pretend to Be: It actually sounds like the two of them came from the same sessions. It seems like a track they'd put on the LPU or a Music for Relief comp. I did love hearing Emily's clean vocals after we got two heavy tracks. She did a great job. Overall, I'd give it a 3/5. Not bad, ok. I could see this getting played on pop/top 40 radio.

2 hours ago, MMM said:

I really like this song but i think it's very very bad decision for releasing this as a single especially when album isn't released so far. Maybe as a 5th single it could be cool. But pop/rock song before release is shoot in the foot. They bring back some old fanbase with TEM/HITC and releasing something in completely different taste.

I hate that songs from FZ are so shortened. Some parts should be extended, decorated more. There is big potential to doing this and Song ends when its start to be really great.

I disagree. I don't know if this is the only slow/melodic song on the album but I feel like it's honest that singles represents the album in the best possible way. Over each other really sounds like a single to me, not like an album track with not much single potential. Right now singles makes most sense before the album release. Singles are becoming meaningless post release date. This feels kinda like Leave out all the rest type of single. Obviously LOATR was the fifth MTM single but 2008 was a very different era. They gave HITC to the fans of their early work and now they are giving something different to fans of their more melodic work. Also HITC was not released for radio airplay so they might want to push a pop-rock ballad single to gain momentum for the release date. I know it has pop elements and meets OML halfway but it is way more a rock song than anything in OML, it's like a poppier final masquerade imo.

26 minutes ago, nickishere12345 said:

EDIT: Also wish Brad remembered how to do literally anything else on guitar besides play octaves lol.

The last time he didn't just do Octaves GATS, ALITS popped out. It was so good that they didn't chose one song off of it for Papercuts ☠️ Just joking. I don't think LP is the right band for super interesting guitar playing. I mean it works and I think when guitarist think of LP, they think of Octaves and a lot of melody. 

Just listened to the song, and while I do like it a good bit, I can't help but feel like it was a missed opportunity to have a LOATR-like single at least length wise, since the song could easily be a couple minutes longer.

Emily is great in it though, but I wish (Mike's?) backing vocals were a bit more present if they decided on putting them in there in the first place, instead of just making this song feature Emily only. Also can't say I'm a massive fan of the chatter at the end, at the very least I'm a bit surprised it's in the single version of the song which may or may not go into either HITC or TEM, but clearly this one was going to be a tease for Casualty, which is not getting released here.

Edited by Rockter

I love it actually. I was getting a bit scared reading the comments, but to my surprise it resonated with me.

First off, it does not have the melodic choices that sound very 2016-2018 that I feared for bc of John Green. Honestly, I hated a lot of the, at the time, trendy melodic choices on OML. The melody still sounds like something Mike Shinoda himself could have always written.

I knew the third song was undeniably gonna be some sort of ballad, so this one is a nice change of pace, but it still connects well with the other singles as it progresses and the band comes in.

Also, the production is distinct and kind of bold. The little repeating two note synth after every line is awesome and I like how they doubled down on the chopped up rhythm in the first chorus. It's very atmospheric and thankfully not very OML. Emily's performance is beautiful too. The only thing I don't like is the word skyscrapers... Just a little cringe and childish as a metaphor

Edited by Fleur de Lys

4 hours ago, ChaseChief said:

I don’t understand this choice. I mean I like it personally but given how divisive the fanbase is now, wouldn’t it be wiser to wait for everyone to be more comfortable with the lineup before releasing songs like this as singles?

I can totally see more hate coming but I hope I’m wrong.

Can you elaborate?

What do you mean by "songs like this", and what type of songs would you personally be releasing as singles if you were the one making those decisions?

I'm asking because Over Each Other sounds like it's meant to be a radio single. It's catchy and not too overpowering. I think it'll do well.

2 minutes ago, Justin said:

Can you elaborate?

What do you mean by "songs like this", and what type of songs would you personally be releasing as singles if you were the one making those decisions?

I'm asking because Over Each Other sounds like it's meant to be a radio single. It's catchy and not too overpowering. I think it'll do well.

Don’t get me wrong, I like the song and I don’t have any problem with it being a single. 

It’s just that the last two songs are very powerful and have that “classic LP sound” with the familiar vocal interplay with Mike. Personally, I would release it after the album’s out and instead release a hard-hitting rock song to minimize the controversy. I feel like a 2010-pop-rock sounding Emily-only song would just be a bigger bait for the casual listeners and doubters to say “see this isn’t LP.”

With that said I hope you’re right and this will turn out to be another success.

I found this to be the least interesting of the three songs, but it's still intriguing. It's hard to compare it to any other song, but it could fit into One More Light or Minutes to Midnight.

I'm not sure if it will be as big a hit as the other two songs.

5 hours ago, thor3 said:

i think the band has learn a long time ago that you can't please everyone. 

Looking at it this way, their approach is very interesting. They could focus on making only songs similar to what people consider Linkin Park to maintain the idea that they are the same band.

1 hour ago, ChaseChief said:

Don’t get me wrong, I like the song and I don’t have any problem with it being a single. 

Yeah I figured. I was being genuine because these discussions are interesting.

I have to believe that thought came up with the band as they were choosing the singles. Ultimately I think that the haters will find a way to criticize no matter what, so they probably just put all thoughts about potential haters aside. HITC is probably the closest the band has come to the HT/Meteora sound since that era ended, and the haters were still out in force saying that Emily was trying to copy Chester and that the scream was an attempt to one-up Chester's scream on Given Up, etc. So I don't think they'll ever say "Now this is Linkin Park!" no matter what as long as Emily is their vocalist.

With that said, if they keep trying to appeal to those people and win them over, they'd run the risk of coming off as way too try-hard as if they feel they need to prove that they are indeed still Linkin Park.

There's definitely a balance to be had when choosing singles from this album.

5 hours ago, YRQRM0 said:

Well said. I'm glad we got this as the next single - to me it demonstrates that there will be diversity on the album and isn't at all what I expected from the song. I still prefer The Emptiness Machine out of the three, but I prefer this one over Heavy Is The Crown.