Can we talk about Emily?

TRIGGER WARNING: references to news about sexual assault

Maybe this isn’t the best time/place to discuss this, but i genuinely can’t think of a more appropriate group of people to try and work this out with. I value the community here as being a lot more thoughtful than run of the mill fan sites, and especially other social media platforms. I want to preface this all by saying how much i loved the Emptiness Machine, playing it on repeat my whole drive home from work yesterday. I want emphasize how brave I thought it was to actually bring in a female vocalist as a new member, and how excited i was to once again champion my favorite band for doing what they do: creating something bold that not everyone will accept, but doing it for the sake of their purist form of expression.

When my sibling and my friends and other commenters tried to discredit Emily because “she’s Scientologist,” i initially brushed it off. I know that some of their views are problematic, but personal religious beliefs can’t be enough to simply cast someone aside. Then i saw she actually publicly supported Danny Masterson during that extremely unsettling multiple-count sexual assault case, and it was kind of like a punch to the gut.

That whole situation was so dark and twisted, and the fact that Chester himself was also a victim of sexual abuse made it all the more unsettling. I know she just posted something on her instagram story to make it clear that supporting him was a “misjudgment” after he was found guilty, but anyone who remembers how some members of that community were behaving towards Masterson’s victims at that time might still have some apprehensions about this, especially if she’s still a part of that community. It adds a layer to all of this I’m having trouble wrapping my head around.

i’m hoping people are able to discuss this respectfully, but if this isn’t appropriate to talk about here i understand.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, Bambitt said:

Even Ashton Kutcher and Mila Kunis initially supported the asshole. Tensions were high. They made an apology. Emily made an apology. Case closed.

I really appreciate that take. Since you mention it I was also a genuine fan of That’s 70s Show. Ashton Kutcher & Mila Kunis were figures that  i already knew and admired, and i still found their apology… weird. It prompted me to remember that Mila Kunis was actually only 14 when she started working with Ashton who was 20.

Look i’m not trying to be ridiculous or paint some overly malevolent picture or anything. The world is a complicated place. I’m finding myself just missing the day before yesterday when my favorite band’s biggest “controversy” was getting accused of snitching on another band for smoking weed, and defending them when i got shit for it from the Amoeba Records staff ringing up THP for me when it came out. This is a tad different and i don’t know her!

i also had a chance to scroll through the Chatbox (which often intimidates me) and see most everyone here is aligned that there’s a real issue to acknowledge here, but at the end of the day maybe it’s just better to give her the benefit of the doubt and take her statement at face value. I appreciate the opportunity to try and process this.

4 minutes ago, OKCrew said:

I really appreciate that take. Since you mention it I was also a genuine fan of That’s 70s Show. Ashton Kutcher & Mila Kunis were figures that  i already knew and admired, and i still found their apology… weird. It prompted me to remember that Mila Kunis was actually only 14 when she started working with Ashton who was 20.

Look i’m not trying to be ridiculous or paint some overly malevolent picture or anything. The world is a complicated place. I’m finding myself just missing the day before yesterday when my favorite band’s biggest “controversy” was getting accused of snitching on another band for smoking weed, and defending them when i got shit for it from the Amoeba Records staff ringing up THP for me when it came out. This is a tad different and i don’t know her!

i also had a chance to scroll through the Chatbox (which often intimidates me) and see most everyone here is aligned that there’s a real issue to acknowledge here, but at the end of the day maybe it’s just better to give her the benefit of the doubt and take her statement at face value. I appreciate the opportunity to try and process this.

Yeah, I understand its all part of process. But I believe her. People make mistakes, hell, I made some shit decisions in life. I can only be better after realizing my own mistakes. So can she and I believe her sincerety in the statement.

1 minute ago, Bambitt said:

Yeah, I understand its all part of process. But I believe her. People make mistakes, hell, I made some shit decisions in life. I can only be better after realizing my own mistakes. So can she and I believe her sincerety in the statement.

Most definitely. Thanks for that 🙏 

There was some discussion about that in the shoutbox, too and people were/are concerned about the whole thing. But gladly no one from LPL went the extreme route of calling for "cancelation" (aka consequences of actions). Her statement was a good start to clear the air and much needed to not let it gain more traction. Though, the whole thing might (or already has) turn(ed) off some people which is a shame.

Edited by Trumtram

I also wanna add this. She made a statement that she supposted Danny until it was proven he was truly guilty. And then moved on from having him.

Also from news in the past (and some in my close circle). IF you decide to leave Scientology you should let knowbody know, because in that case you should let nobody know. IIRC one of the reasons Cedric Bixler-Zavala and his wife were attacked was the fact apart from was also going on, they were announcing to leave the "organisation"

8 hours ago, Trumtram said:

Though, the whole thing might (or already has) turn(ed) off some people which is a shame.

Yeah...

I enjoyed Emily’s performance and I like the new song. I want to like her, and I want to believe the song is about or at least distancing herself from that cult, but everything that’s come out suggests otherwise. Cedric and Chrissy are still accusing she’s a devout believer and now are echoing claims that her parents are in the Office of Special Affairs, which is the branch that targets dissidents and ex-members.

I can empathize if she really was indoctrinated since birth, and it is a difficult and dangerous process to get out, but why did the band bring her on in the first place with all this potential controversy? Even If she is actually serious about leaving but can’t speak out publicly, still, why bring her on?

This was meant to be a celebration of a new era and not even a day later it’s put the band in a rough spot. I’m sorry, but if the response, so far, is an Instagram Story that does not address the Scientology links or even call out Masterson directly by name, then I just cannot get onboard with this.

Edited by HybridParty

3 minutes ago, HybridParty said:

Yeah...

I enjoyed Emily’s performance and I like the new song. I want to like her, and I want to believe the song is about or at least distancing herself from that cult, but everything that’s come out suggests otherwise. Cedric and Chrissy are still accusing she’s a devout believer and now are echoing claims that her parents are in the Office of Special Affairs, which is the branch that targets dissidents and ex-members.

I can empathize if she really was indoctrinated since birth, and it is a difficult and dangerous process to get out, but why did the band bring her on in the first place with all this potential controversy? Even If she is actually serious about leaving but can’t speak out publicly, still, why bring her on?

This was meant to be a celebration of a new era and not even a day later it’s put the band in a rough spot. I’m sorry, but if the response, so far, is an Instagram Story that does not address the Scientology links or even call out Masterson directly by name, then I just cannot get onboard with this.

You mention that there is a branch of the church specifically designed to target dissidents, and then you say "it is a difficult and dangerous process to get out", but you can't get on board with it if she doesn't address her status with Scientology? Seems to me that part of the reason she may not address it is specifically to avoid being targeted and having this organization's vast resources dedicated to harming her.

Also, I wouldn't mind ever having to see Danny Masterson's name ever again. Everyone knew who she meant. She unequivocally denounced him, but now it's not enough because she didn't actually say his name? Is there another rapist she was accused of supporting and being an apologist for? I thought part of the consequences for pieces of shit like him would be that his name fades from memory as he fades into obscurity as a disgrace rotting in prison. 

5 minutes ago, Justin said:

You mention that there is a branch of the church specifically designed to target dissidents, and then you say "it is a difficult and dangerous process to get out", but you can't get on board with it if she doesn't address her status with Scientology? Seems to me that part of the reason she may not address it is specifically to avoid being targeted and having this organization's vast resources dedicated to harming her.

Also, I wouldn't mind ever having to see Danny Masterson's name ever again. Everyone knew who she meant. She unequivocally denounced him, but now it's not enough because she didn't actually say his name? Is there another rapist she was accused of supporting and being an apologist for? I thought part of the consequences for pieces of shit like him would be that his name fades from memory as he fades into obscurity as a disgrace rotting in prison. 

I get what HybridParty is saying though, and it’s why I brought this up in the first place. At least one of Masterson’s victims was upset with Emily for what happened and was hurt enough to make it a point to publicly call her out for it, after Masterson was found guilty. This isn’t to put her on trial, but this was all a thing a long time before she was anywhere near Linkin Park, and our boys still decided to take her on.

Not just Chester, but our fanbase includes survivors of sexual assault. I believe in the band’s judgement and hope they took into consideration the potential message it could send. If those survivors and their loved ones have a reaction to this, i can’t imagine the band’s intent would be to just brush it off.

Again, i recognize it’s impossible for everyone to be able acknowledge all things at all times. She very well could also be a victim in the whole thing, we just don’t know, and it hasn’t necessarily all been addressed. There’s also a beautiful thing happening here in terms of what’s actually being communicated in the new song, the upcoming events, and interviews like the one above. I’m just very eager to see if they can also reconcile this particular issue a bit more.

Mike and Brad are really smart guys 

They said that the person is way more import than the talent.

If they knew that there was something wrong about Emily they wouldn't even have talked to her in the first place.

This is their comeback for sure they were gonna do it right and they believe in Emily.

I also LOVE Emily and i believe that she's a good person.

0 doubts 100 love

Like i said in the shout box 

Not because im a friend of el Chapo means that im evil lol

I knew that there was going to be some kind of shitstorm to criticize the new vocalist no matter who was the chosen one, there's always going to be something wrong.

Just because some hardcore fans and some papercuts can't accept that the Chester era is over.

Seems to me that part of the reason she may not address it is specifically to avoid being targeted and having this organization's vast resources dedicated to harming her.

She's still being accused of staying in the cult. And as I said, if she's really trying to leave, why would the band bring her on and risk unwanted controversy if she couldn't speak out about it?

10 minutes ago, Justin said:

She unequivocally denounced him, but now it's not enough because she didn't actually say his name?

Other members have denounced him but won't explicitly name him because that goes against the official stance of the "church". That's how they operate.

In spite of all this, Mike did say how being a good person was important to joining the band. So, I sincerely hope Emily is on the path to getting out because as of right now it's not a good look. Hopefully this doesn't get any worse and both her and band can get through this safely and with tact.

23 minutes ago, JZLP-RoadsUntraveled said:

Mike and Brad are really smart guys 

They said that the person is way more import than the talent.

If they knew that there was something wrong about Emily they wouldn't even have talked to her in the first place.

Yeah, I hope that is the case

25 minutes ago, JZLP-RoadsUntraveled said:

I knew that there was going to be some kind of shitstorm to criticize the new vocalist no matter who was the chosen one, there's always going to be something wrong.

I don't think anyone expected this, tbh

8 minutes ago, HybridParty said:

She's still being accused of staying in the cult. And as I said, if she's really trying to leave, why would the band bring her on and risk unwanted controversy if she couldn't speak out about it?

Other members have denounced him but won't explicitly name him because that goes against the official stance of the "church". That's how they operate.

In spite of all this, Mike did say how being a good person was important to joining the band. So, I sincerely hope Emily is on the path to getting out because as of right now it's not a good look. Hopefully this doesn't get any worse and both her and band can get through this safely and with tact.

Mike has also directly criticized Scientology in the past and called them "really dark" for trying to indoctrinate children at a young age who are just learning how to read.

So it really wouldn't make sense to say that, and then say it's important to be a good person to join the band, and then bring in a proud Scientologist.

Something doesn't add up, and I'm aware that it's probably my own bias that's allowing me to give them all the benefit of the doubt. So hopefully there will be some kind of clarification made?

There's no way Emily won't be asked about her status at this point, especially with mainstream music media currently making it a huge deal and the fact that they'll be doing a lot of promo work between now and November leading up to the album's release date. So I suppose it's a matter of time before she's asked directly and we'll see her response at that point. I'm not expecting her to denounce them, but it'll be telling to see how she does react. If she reacts like Elisabeth Moss does, by saying Scientology is full of love and understanding and is a really great thing, then we'll be having a different conversation.

17 minutes ago, HybridParty said:

https://www.instagram.com/stories/chrissiebixler/3452179372994891426/

(For those who don't have Instagram) -> https://imgur.com/a/3kXg7uD

I hate it here...

The band really need to do or say something

Her whole instagram story is so wild and upsetting right now. Do you guys remember all the horrible things conspiracy theorists were saying after Chris Cornell’s & Chester’s deaths? Some nonsense about how they were “actually murdered” because they were going to expose some sex trafficking ring or whatever? All the unfounded and terrible things they said about Mike and Talinda, etc, which only compounded everyone’s grief?

I hate to bring it up. I know it’s not related to this at all. I know the people creating/spreading that filth were misguided at best, and just plain cruel at worst. But in light of everything else on top of that, I just don’t understand why the band would involve themselves with someone who has some actual ties to a group much more credibly accused of something like that.

30 minutes ago, HybridParty said:

The band really need to do or say something

Do you think she, or the people who have latched on to this, would accept any type of statement or action from Emily and the band right now?

I feel like no matter what, they'd just say "This is more damage control and manipulation from the cult. I don't believe that it's sincere."

2 minutes ago, Justin said:

Do you think she, or the people who have latched on to this, would accept any type of statement or action from Emily and the band right now?

I feel like no matter what, they'd just say "This is more damage control and manipulation from the cult. I don't believe that it's sincere."

I don't know, but I can see this has gotten too big for the band to ignore. Chrissie was one of Danny Masterson's victims, she and her husband were close with Emily before they got out of the cult. She has every right to call this out.

4 minutes ago, Justin said:

I totally understand your point. I think what i want to distinguish is the difference between “appeasing the outrage machine,” and meaningfully addressing a decision they made that’s causing genuine fans actual pain and confusion. I think they are capable of it. In my previous post i pointed out that there are people in this world that just want to believe the worst and get something out of that kind of engagement. We’re weary of them, but that’s not the point. I’m still holding out hope simply because the rest of the band hasn’t said anything yet.

2 minutes ago, HybridParty said:

I don't know, but I can see this has gotten too big for the band to ignore. Chrissie was one of Danny Masterson's victims, she and her husband were close with Emily before they got out of the cult. She has every right to call this out.

Yeah I'm not saying she's lying or that she's wrong for speaking out. I'm questioning what path the band has forward in order to even navigate all of this. I'm not sure that issuing a statement, even a scathing one claiming that she has left Scientology and regrets ever being affiliated, would do anything but throw gasoline on the fire and make it even worse. We've reached the point where anything they do is now going to be received as "too little, too late".

Yeah I'm not saying she's lying or that she's wrong for speaking out. I'm questioning what path the band has forward in order to even navigate all of this. I'm not sure that issuing a statement, even a scathing one claiming that she has left Scientology and regrets ever being affiliated, would do anything but throw gasoline on the fire and make it even worse. We've reached the point where anything they do is now going to be received as "too little, too late".

I don’t think it’s just about denouncing Emily/Scientology at this point. At the very least it’s acknowledging all of this and explaining their choice imho