"Fighting Myself" from Meteora|20 Released

LPLStaff

1 hour ago, witeken said:

In fact, apparently also a controversial opinon, but there's no fundamental reason why an album has to have a certain amount of songs. If a song's great, then why not do the effort to turn it into an album-worthy song? All this talk about songs having to fit into an album is overdone. A song is just a song. No one would have ever complained about Meteora with 16 songs.

During the making of HT, I think it was Brad who said they intentionally aimed for a certain number of tracks and to keep the album under 40 minutes because they wanted the album to not have any filler and to not overstay its welcome.

It was just their mindset at the time, which we know they retained for Meteora. It wasn't until MTM when Linkin Park decided to really challenge any preconceived notions, even amongst the band members, about what they were supposed to sound like and what their albums should be.

6 hours ago, witeken said:

Fighting Myself is a great song. Fight me.

Apparently an opinion out of left field, but Lost, Fighting Myself and probably More The Victim could definitely have made the album. Let's not pretend as if some of the Meteora songs like Nobody's Listening (a song nobody is listening to anymore), Hit The Floor (which sets the floor for LP song quality) and Easier To Run (which is indeed easier than listening to this song), none of which were ever played live much, are S tier songs that couldn't have been traded in for these 2023 songs. 

I mean, Meteora definitely doesn't contain 12 Numbs, so if people liken Lost to Numb (which I personally don't really agree with either though), then Lost certainly must have been on the album. The fact that the song is doing so well proves the point that Linkin Park omitted an S tier song for some random non-musical reason.

In fact, apparently also a controversial opinon, but there's no fundamental reason why an album has to have a certain amount of songs. If a song's great, then why not do the effort to turn it into an album-worthy song? All this talk about songs having to fit into an album is overdone. A song is just a song. No one would have ever complained about Meteora with 16 songs.

The only album they would've EVER done more then  12 songs is Minutes to Midnight which Rick and Chester did vote for it but the whole band declined. Because the album was the most massive effort by the band really, its like... Too much for a conceptual type of album and cramming it with 12 songs is just a lot of esoteric tastes despite being rock oriented, they definitely should've added the other 5 cuts and minutes to Midnight would be their best album to date. 

Edited by Awalkinthelinkinpark

1 hour ago, leftshoe18 said:

I think with the amount of songs we have that were left off of MTM (including stuff like Pretend To Be and Not Alone that were finished later) it could have easily been a double album if the band wanted it to be.

Yep! But Linkin Park doesn't roll like that. 

Anyway, while fighting myself was a let down 

Healing foot is the song we all were waiting for.

It is infinitely better then what we got. 

So far for me it's really hard to rank the four songs we have because the effect of being new LP from an old era I love is really weird and amazing, but... so far I can say:

LOST: I really love it, it's like Numb little sister, the chorus is super strong and the second verse is better than the first, the bridge is amazing but the instrumental in the verses is a bit too demo-ish for me, kinda like a Xero demo. 

FIGHTING MYSELF: looove it but totally get why it was not on the album, it's really too similar to Papercut and HTF (and maybe a bit even to Figure09), I think I like it more than HTF because of the bridge and the weird crazy reversed vocal.

MORE THE VICTIM: it has that weird punky vibe and the chorus makes me think of DBS, Mike's rap is very good, but it's one that could have fit more on LT than Meteora IMO.

HEALING FOOT: love the song, it's very demo-ish but gives me vibes of Faint and ITE and the instrumental is a bit Reanimation style. Out of the 4 we heard so far, this one is the one that I think needed more work to be complete.      

I love this mixing. It sounds heavier than Lost, which sometimes sounds really "thin".
I'm really expecting that the original mixing of Lost would sound more like this.

Edited by tfae

On 3/27/2023 at 5:02 PM, LPLStaff said:

You can really tell Lost has a modern mix when you listen to Fighting Myself go into it, because the FM guitars are just bludgeoning heavy haha. The Lost 2002 mix will be cool to hear.

Yeah it’s like comparing a song from the last BMTH record as opposed to By Myself, the guitars in the latter are 10 times heavier. 

I really like the sequence "Lost" into "Fighting Myself".

First you get your super Linkin Park-ish hit single to get you pumped, and then, your classic banger. 

Definitely could have worked as the beginning of an official studio album.