Hard Drive Crash Problem

hahninator

If it's a mechanical problem, stop using it immediately and take it to a professional.

A few HDD's died under my reign in the last years too, but in most of my cases the file structure was "just" fucked.

Same here if it clicks it's a bad sign. Had 2 hard drives with that problem and none of them was "rescued"

You could do more damage that there is by connecting the HDD and trying to do god knows what. Anyone of you guys know anything besides "software things" that you write? No offence but this is not gonna solve the "click" problem at all...

And for you that don't know the "click" is made by the payload hitting the disk itself (in most cases it's a mechanical problem) Best case is that the electronics plate is damaged. Best thing Mark, is to get a proffesional advice..

Edited by michalangelo

Sorry for you man, but I have to admit that I had a pretty good laugh because of this. I mean, with the passion you obviously have for LP and their liveshows, it beats me why the heck you would have everything on one harddrive :P Hope that you'll recover it, though.

Guys I hate to post this kind of thing in the News but I'm in a dire situation. I've had a 250gb external hard drive that I got in mid 2005 right around the time of Live 8 and right now, it has just absolutely died. 4 years worth of my data is on it and I am pretty clueless on what to do. All of my Linkin Park shows are on it - audio and DVD...all of my music (albums) by other bands....all of my pictures that I've taken since 2006 with my camera are on there. I think I can pay to get it fixed but I was wondering if it's possible to fix it myself. I don't want to mess anything up, so if anyone has any ideas please let me know. Thanks.

Windows XP, a Western Digital 250gb HD. It's like the computer recognizes it almost but it doesn't. When I plug it in and try to open shit like Firefox, nothing opens. When I unplug the external HD, Firefox will open for example. It's very weird but I've tested it multiple times and that's proven to be true. IE, Firefox, other programs, etc. Anyway it starts up and acts like it's running, and then bam a click and it shuts down. It's like it goes into hibernating mode but it's not showing up under My Computer at all, etc. You can tell it clicks and then basically just about shuts down completely.

audible clicking indicates a mechanical problem (which is a very bad thing). It clicks once and shuts down or do you hear clicking as it is rotating? If there is a lot of noise coming from it I suggest not starting up the drive at all, as friction will eventually tear itself apart. There are professionals who repair this kind of thing but they will charge hundreds of dollars for their services.

Don't try what linkindude said because he's referring to a boot drive, not an external. Likewise, Wilderness is talking about a virus, and this sounds nothing like a software issue.

springer's advice would rule out computer and cable, and vlc70r's advice would rule out an operating system issue. But again, only if there is not a ton of noise coming from it. Otherwise, get a backup device to store your files on if you have an opportunity to move them. use the drive as little as possible.

The freezing thing is an absolute last resort.

audible clicking indicates a mechanical problem (which is a very bad thing). It clicks once and shuts down or do you hear clicking as it is rotating? If there is a lot of noise coming from it I suggest not starting up the drive at all, as friction will eventually tear itself apart. There are professionals who repair this kind of thing but they will charge hundreds of dollars for their services.

Don't try what linkindude said because he's referring to a boot drive, not an external. Likewise, Wilderness is talking about a virus, and this sounds nothing like a software issue.

springer's advice would rule out computer and cable, and vlc70r's advice would rule out an operating system issue. But again, only if there is not a ton of noise coming from it. Otherwise, get a backup device to store your files on if you have an opportunity to move them. use the drive as little as possible.

The freezing thing is an absolute last resort.

This post makes a lot of sense. It definitely looks like a mechanical issue from what I've gathered.

However, whatever you do... DO NOT attempt to repair it yourself. Hard Drive are really sensitive and require an enclosed space like that in order to keep itself magnetized to hold data. Letting anything on the inside touch the outside air would be absolutely horrible, in case you didn't know that already.

I'd hate to say it... but if you absolutely value your data (and I would considering all you have -_-) I would strongly consider paying the money to let a professional take a look at it. It may cost money, but if there is any possible way to recover the data, they'll be able to do it. Hard drive's are a tricky affair and shouldn't be messed with. Take the smart advice from me and others.

Back ups FTW. I also have an external hard drive, and this makes me nervous. I'm a hypocrite, so allow me to go back up my data... lol.

Edited by Cyro

This post makes a lot of sense. It definitely looks like a mechanical issue from what I've gathered.

However, whatever you do... DO NOT attempt to repair it yourself. Hard Drive are really sensitive and require an enclosed space like that in order to keep itself magnetized to hold data. Letting anything on the inside touch the outside air would be absolutely horrible, in case you didn't know that already.

I'd hate to say it... but if you absolutely value your data (and I would considering all you have -_-) I would strongly consider paying the money to let a professional take a look at it. It may cost money, but if there is any possible way to recover the data, they'll be able to do it. Hard drive's are a tricky affair and shouldn't be messed with. Take the smart advice from me and others.

Back ups FTW. I also have an external hard drive, and this makes me nervous. I'm a hypocrite, so allow me to go back up my data... lol.

pretty much what i was going to say too ! but i would definately reccomend once this gets fixed buying a backup drive for incase this happens again!