Technique Samples

LPsMart

2 hours ago, NJPLP said:

I think Beside sampled from Master Mix, then Linkin Park sampled from Beside.

22 minutes ago, LPsMart said:

Change The Beat came out in 1982?

So Master Mix sampled from Beside, but Linkin Park sampled from Beside, and possibly Master Mix?

That's what I'm kind of getting here from this info.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just listened to Korn's Paradigm Shift, the track "Tell Me What You Want", and I heard an interesting detail.

These are drum samples in the background. They seemed to me very similar to samples from Mike's track Pods (1/3).

Let me remind you that the Paradigm Shift was produced by Don Gilmore (Hybrid Theory and Meteora).

Samples:

Tell Me What You Want

Pods

What do you think?

• 9 months later...
On 9/21/2021 at 8:57 AM, NJPLP said:

The “MOBB1_SN“ sample, that was sampled in “Dialate”, in the chorus, comes from the Mobb Deep song “Eye for a Eye (Your Beef Is Mines)”.

Not too sure if the “mobb_kic“ sample, that was also sampled in “Dialate”, is from the same song or a different Mobb Deep song, though.

I'll try to find more information on the other samples.

I misspelled the name of the song slightly, lol. The song is called “Eye for a Eye”, not “Eye for an Eye”. I’m guessing I misspelled the name of the song based off the lyrics I was hearing in the song.

Edited by NJPLP

• 1 month later...

The "OUTSTEP" sample comes from the DJ Babu song "Step Up Break", which, in turn, samples Gang Starr's song "Step in the Arena".

"Step Up Break" plays at 5:36 in this video.

The sample plays at 0:12.

Also, the 1997 Xero demo version of "Stick N Move" samples "Change The Beat (Female Version)" by Beside.

The sample plays at 0:42 in the video.

The sample plays at 3:37 in the video.

• 4 months later...

PORTIS1 - Undenied by Portishead

NIN_PDRG/NIN_PDRG1 - The Perfect Drug (Remix Trent Reznor & Keith Hillebrandt) by Nine inch Nails

D_ANGELOSNAR2 - Shit, Damn, Motherfucker by D'Angelo

3CYMS - Running With The Night by Lionel Richie

Any Funk/Lionel Richie fan here? i really wanted to know the origin of these samples:
LIONELSNARE
LIONELBASS2

I'm working on a remaster of old MPC beats... mainly Goop, Rendevzvo & Emo.

8 hours ago, unksoldier2000 said:

PORTIS1 - Undenied by Portishead

Wow! I swear I went through their entire discography (great band by the way) and didn't hear this before.

NIN_PDRG/NIN_PDRG1 - The Perfect Drug (Remix Trent Reznor & Keith Hillebrandt) by Nine inch Nails

Great catch. From The Perfect Drug Versions. Never considered that Mike could be using remixes of those songs.

3CYMS - Running With The Night by Lionel Richie

Is this the same as "LIONELCYM"? I don't have the files handy to compare them.

15 minutes ago, lpliveusername said:

Wow! I swear I went through their entire discography (great band by the way) and didn't hear this before.

Great catch. From The Perfect Drug Versions. Never considered that Mike could be using remixes of those songs.

Is this the same as "LIONELCYM"? I don't have the files handy to compare them.

i just went like crazy hunting for some samples, i even asked about those NIN samples on reddit... lol
here's 3CYMS sample, it is not the same as LIONELCYM

Does anyone know the origins of the P_WESTON, NIN_BLUE, NIN_CRAK, DEFTKICR, and OUTKAST_ samples, which come from the Xero Current folder?

Also, does anyone know the origins of the LIMPKICK sample, which comes from the NewFinishesA folder?

I've been try to figure out where these samples originate from with no luck.

Edit: I commented on a couple YouTube videos of Closer from Nine Inch Nails a year ago asking if there were any Nine Inch Nails experts there on YouTube. A couple different people replied back to me saying that there were or maybe were. I just recently replied back with a link to the NIN_BLUE and NIN_CRAK samples. I'm awaiting an answer at the moment. I will edit this when I get an answer.

Edited by NJPLP

3 hours ago, NJPLP said:

Does anyone know the origins of the P_WESTON, NIN_BLUE, NIN_CRAK, DEFTKICR, and OUTKAST_ samples, which come from the Xero Current folder?

Also, does anyone know the origins of the LIMPKICK sample, which comes from the NewFinishesA folder?

I've been try to figure out where these samples originate from with no luck.

Edit: I commented on a couple YouTube videos of Closer from Nine Inch Nails a year ago asking if there were any Nine Inch Nails experts there on YouTube. A couple different people replied back to me saying that there were or maybe were. I just recently replied back with a link to the NIN_BLUE and NIN_CRAK samples. I'm awaiting an answer at the moment. I will edit this when I get an answer.

I didn't found anything of those... actually i've asked on a NIN reddit like i said... someone mentioned about NIN_BLUE but i couldn't find
DEFTKICK0 - Lifter by Deftones

Xero Current > deftones - Around the Fur 
(there's another sample that uses this drum... but i can't remember which one)

MIKE MPC > LIMPKICK1 - Just Like This by Limp Bizkit

P_Weston must be from Paul Weston.

Idk about the others you've mentioned ((so far))

On 2/28/2023 at 2:10 PM, unksoldier2000 said:

I didn't found anything of those... actually i've asked on a NIN reddit like i said... someone mentioned about NIN_BLUE but i couldn't find
DEFTKICK0 - Lifter by Deftones

Xero Current > deftones - Around the Fur 
(there's another sample that uses this drum... but i can't remember which one)

MIKE MPC > LIMPKICK1 - Just Like This by Limp Bizkit

P_Weston must be from Paul Weston.

Idk about the others you've mentioned ((so far))

On Linkinpedia, it says that the DEFKICK0 sample is "My Own Summer (Shove It)". Not sure if you are wrong or they are wrong. Who knows. Unless you meant to put DEFTKICR instead of DEFTKICK0.

I found the deftones sample already, lol. Yes, it does come from "Around The Fur". I'll check in a bit to see if the sample is used in another Deftones song.

The P_Weston sample does belong to Paul Weston, but as for what the song is that is sampled, I don't know.

The OUTKAST_ sample belongs to the band Outkast, but as for what the song is that is sampled, I don't know. Since it's in the Xero Current folder, which contains samples that date back to the earliest 1997 to the latest of 1999 or early 2000, it must be a sample to one of their songs from one of their albums before 2000. The albums that can be considered are 'Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik', which was released in 1994, 'ATLiens', which was released in 1996, and 'Aquemini', which was released in 1998.

Also, I think the TIMDRUMS and TIMKICK1 samples come from a song (or a couple of songs) by Primus. I think the names of the samples refer to Tim Alexander, the drummer of Primus. The sample comes from a song off one of their albums before he left the band in 1996 before later rejoining in 2003, to which he left again in 2010, then rejoined in 2013. The albums that can be considered from his first stint in the band are 'Frizzle Fry', which was released in 1990, 'Sailing the Seas of Cheese', which was released in 1991, 'Pork Soda', which was released in 1993, and 'Tales from the Punchbowl', which was released in 1995.

Edited by NJPLP

How can you convert .snd files online? I've tried using multiple converters and they all end up giving me errors because it couldn't convert for some reason.

Edit: Nevermind.

I think the NIN_PDRG sample (or a similar sample to that) is sampled in Chair (1999 "Part Of Me" Demo), Part Of Me (9-Track Demo), and Part Of Me (8/7-Track Demo).

The sample plays from 0:20 to 0:33 in Chair (1999 "Part Of Me" Demo).

The sample plays from 0:27 to 0:40 in the first verse and 1:21 to 1:34 in the second verse in Part Of Me (9-Track Demo).

The sample plays from 0:34 to 0:47 in the first verse and 1:28 to 1:41 in the second verse in Part Of Me (8/7-Track Demo).

Edited by NJPLP

• 2 weeks later...

I think the CO_TOOL1 sample belongs to the band Tool, but as for what the song is that is sampled, I don't know. Since it's a sample of Coal, which is a Xero demo that dates back to 1997, it must be a sample to one of their songs from one of their albums before 1997. The albums that can be considered are 'Undertow', which was released in 1993, and 'Ænima', which was released in 1996.

Edited by NJPLP

2 hours ago, NJPLP said:

I think the CO_TOOL1 sample belongs to the band Tool, but as for what the song is that is sampled, I don't know. Since it's a sample of Coal, which is a Xero demo that dates back to 1997, it must be a sample to one of their songs from one of their albums before 1997. The albums that can be considered are 'Undertow', which was released in 1993, and 'Ænima', which was released in 1996.

there's alot of samples missing, those "Grr" Scratch/Pad, some samples from "Coal" too.. and last but not least "Pods" samples.

EDIT: is always to keep an eye on EPs too, most of the samples are already on the intro, but there's some that are in the mid/end of the songs.

Edited by unksoldier2000

Now that we know the origins of many of those samples and we have a list of samples present in each demo, I was thinking we could check their dates to figure out an approximate date for the demos. Here's the list I made:

Spoiler

None But The Lonely Heart by André Kostelanetz And His Orchestra (1958)
From Russia With Love by John Barry (1963)
Goldfinger by Shirley Bassey (1965)
Tuesday Afternoon by The Moody Blues (1967)
House Of Four Doors (Part 2) by The Moody Blues (1968)
Parisian Pierrot by Julie Andrews (1968)
Sex Explained For Children by Nathan S. Leichmann and Stanley Z. Daniels (1971)
Change The Beat (Female Version) by Beside (1982)
Running With The Night by Lionel Richie (1983)
Step In The Arena by Gang Starr (1991)
China by Tori Amos (1992)
Shit, Damn, Motherfucker by D'Angelo (1995)
Lifter by Deftones (1995)
Eye For An Eye (Your Beef Is Mines) by Mobb Deep featuring Nas and Raekwon (1995)
Little Horn by Marilyn Manson (1996)
Unravel by Björk (1997)
Around The Fur by Deftones (1997)
Do It Again by EPMD (1997)
Last Man Standing by EPMD (1997)
The Perfect Drug (Nine Inch Nails Remix) by Nine Inch Nails (1997)
Undenied by Portishead (1997)
Half Day Closing by Portishead (1997)
The Saga Begins by Rakim (1997)
Vapor Trail by The Crystal Method (1997)
Caribbean Connection by Big Pun featuring Wyclef Jean (1998)
Intro by Big Pun (1998)
You Never Knew by Hieroglyphics (1998)
What's It All About by Rasco (1998)
Me & My Crew by Rasco (1998)
17 by The Smashing Pumpkins (1998)
Just Like This by Limp Bizkit (1999)

4 hours ago, lpliveusername said:

Now that we know the origins of many of those samples and we have a list of samples present in each demo, I was thinking we could check their dates to figure out an approximate date for the demos. Here's the list I made:

Hide contents

Eye For An Eye (Your Beef Is Mines) by Mobb Deep featuring Nas and Raekwon (1995)
Unravel by Björk (1997)
Intro by Big Pun (1998)

Since i found those Rasco's samples, from songs that came out in 98'... we can assume that Goop was made in 1998 aswell.
SAD (1999), UGH (1999), SWISH(1999).
I think that these might be the real date of these, based on the most recent sample on the project from these demos (which were LIMPKICK1/LIMPKICK2)

On 3/12/2023 at 5:27 AM, lpliveusername said:

Hide contents

Unravel by Björk (1997)
Intro by Big Pun (1998)

You forgot about "Three Coins In The Fountain" by The Melachrino Strings And Orchestra (1959).