The Best 1-2 Punches

OKCrew

Below is a mix/playlist I just threw together of some of my favorite "1-2 Punches." A "1-2 Punch" is simply two songs that appear in succession on an album. What are some of you favorites? Which ones did I leave off?

Do you like them because of how one flows into the other, or because of a certain duality the two songs represent? EPs, Remix albums, and Live albums are all also fine to include

Et23-1KVgAE3eVg.png

After taking a second look at my list I noticed that all of my favorite "1-2 Punches" either start or end an album, other than the one I picked from Living Things!

7 hours ago, OKCrew said:

Below is a mix/playlist I just threw together of some of my favorite "1-2 Punches." A "1-2 Punch" is simply two songs that appear in succession on an album. What are some of you favorites? Which ones did I leave off?

Do you like them because of how one flows into the other, or because of a certain duality the two songs represent? EPs, Remix albums, and Live albums are all also fine to include

Et23-1KVgAE3eVg.png

After taking a second look at my list I noticed that all of my favorite "1-2 Punches" either start or end an album, other than the one I picked from Living Things!

Catalyst/Messenger might be my favorite because the 2 songs are the opposite (the former being super complex, almost entirely electronic and lirically abstract and the latter being stripped down and beautifully simple). Papercut/OSC is just a banger 

3 hours ago, PurpleFlinstoneVitamins92 said:

Catalyst/Messenger might be my favorite because the 2 songs are the opposite (the former being super complex, almost entirely electronic and lirically abstract and the latter being stripped down and beautifully simple). Papercut/OSC is just a banger 

💯 

3 hours ago, JZ-AmendsStripped29 said:

APFMH ↗️ Forgotten is a killer duo.

That one is soo hype! I would say it also demonstrates the best musicianship of Hybrid Theory. If Papercut/OSC wasn’t so dang prolific, APFMH/Forgotten would be my favorite too

2 hours ago, Rasputin 93 said:

Cure for the Itch > High Voltage

...oh wait. 😩

Lol we can still count it 😂😂

43 minutes ago, PurpleFlinstoneVitamins92 said:

CFTH is my least fav on HT, it’s really a song that fits to “its time” if you know what I mean. HV version with the “sometimes I feel like a prophet” Chester’s part is GREAT 

I agree Cure is def a product of its time, in that it primarily exists to demonstrate Joe’s prowess as a composer at the turntables, but I would also say that’s pretty much the only thing I missed when it came to “old vs new” Linkin Park. By my count they only even had 4 songs with audible turntable scratches since Meteora (What I’ve Done, In Pieces, The Catalyst, and Wretches & Kings), and then none at all since ATS besides live performances. Now that every kid with a smart phone calls themselves a DJ, it’s like a lost art I find myself longing for more and more. It’s like an itch that— wait a sec 👁👄👁

14 minutes ago, OKCrew said:

I agree Cure is def a product of its time, in that it primarily exists to demonstrate Joe’s prowess as a composer at the turntables, but I would also say that’s pretty much the only thing I missed when it came to “old vs new” Linkin Park. By my count they only even had 4 songs with audible turntable scratches since Meteora (What I’ve Done, In Pieces, The Catalyst, and Wretches & Kings), and then none at all since ATS besides live performances. Now that every kid with a smart phone calls themselves a DJ, it’s like a lost art I find myself longing for more and more. It’s like an itch that— wait a sec 👁👄👁

Ahaha yeah man I get what you’re saying. I like the scratch in LP songs

Back in the day, I loved WFTE->Blackout and Blackout->W&K on A Thousand Suns. It is still a fantastic trio for me, but I don't have any explanation for that. Now when I think about this, my favourite would be probably Papercut->OSC. Both are iconic LP songs, and there is that specific sound at the end of Papercut that always makes me want to hear One Step Closer. When it comes to other albums, I very much enjoy One More Light to Sharp Edges on OML. One of the saddest song LP has ever written is followed by one of the most uplifting songs I have ever heard. Sharp Edges is like the ultimate acknowledgment of the past and mistakes within it. It has a nostalgic vibe and I'm glad that the band put it as a closer on the album because it really fits there, in my opinion - especially after Chester's death. I can't come up with anything more. Maybe honourable mentions would go to Final Masquerade->ALITS, The Catalyst-> The Messenger, In Pieces->TLTGYA and APFMH->Forgotten.

2 hours ago, blackout said:

Back in the day, I loved WFTE->Blackout and Blackout->W&K on A Thousand Suns. It is still a fantastic trio for me, but I don't have any explanation for that. Now when I think about this, my favourite would be probably Papercut->OSC. Both are iconic LP songs, and there is that specific sound at the end of Papercut that always makes me want to hear One Step Closer. When it comes to other albums, I very much enjoy One More Light to Sharp Edges on OML. One of the saddest song LP has ever written is followed by one of the most uplifting songs I have ever heard. Sharp Edges is like the ultimate acknowledgment of the past and mistakes within it. It has a nostalgic vibe and I'm glad that the band put it as a closer on the album because it really fits there, in my opinion - especially after Chester's death. I can't come up with anything more. Maybe honourable mentions would go to Final Masquerade->ALITS, The Catalyst-> The Messenger, In Pieces->TLTGYA and APFMH->Forgotten.

Really well-said 💯 

3 hours ago, blackout said:

Great post man 

1 hour ago, vinifeijo said:

blackout to blackout.

I remember the firsts blind ATS listening parties, people thinking and describing blackout as 2 different songs.

also, victimized > roads untraveled is a mindblowing duo

The sequence COG> Victimized> RU is mind blowing. They basically had 2 similar  songs in terms of tone and vibe and then slapped Victimized in the middle. 
I love when LP does crazy like that 

14 hours ago, vinifeijo said:

also, victimized > roads untraveled is a mindblowing duo

For real! The “Raaaaaa!!!” going right into what sounds almost like a lullaby music box is a trip! They pulled it off so well

13 hours ago, PurpleFlinstoneVitamins92 said:

The sequence COG> Victimized> RU is mind blowing. They basically had 2 similar  songs in terms of tone and vibe and then slapped Victimized in the middle. 
I love when LP does crazy like that 

Lol me too! It was almost like The Hunting Party couldn’t wait its turn and had to crash the middle of Living Things for a sec before getting back to its nap

5 hours ago, OKCrew said:

For real! The “Raaaaaa!!!” going right into what sounds almost like a lullaby music box is a trip! They pulled it off so well

Lol me too! It was almost like The Hunting Party couldn’t wait its turn and had to crash the middle of Living Things for a sec before getting back to its nap

Yeah Victimized is basically a “demo” of KTTK, its prime form

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/1/2021 at 9:20 PM, YRQRM0 said:

Wastelands -> Until It's Gone. Neither are my fav song off THP, but that transition is absolute fire. 

💯 🔥 not to veer off into another topic discussion, but that’s actually probably one of Joe’s contributions to the album. It’s a very Joe-sounding percussion sample

• 5 months later...