Hybrid Theory Track-By-Track

lpliveusername

For the first time in the band's history, they got together for detailed track-by-track commentaries on every song in Hybrid Theory. Check out some exclusive behind the scenes stories from Brad, Joe and Mike on Billboard and Kerrang! Additionally, the Kerrang! article brings video interviews and a link to download photos from the Hybrid Theory era.

1 hour ago, Trumtram said:

So now we have a new holy grail with the three-song demo before the Xero tape? Boy oh boy... :D

Oh, this is interesting. I hadn't read the article yet when I posted it. I remember this was brought up before:

https://lplive.net/forums/topic/12342-an-earlier-xero-tape/

It's interesting that Joe says the tape had 3 tracks, none of which made it on the album, and that Rhinestone came from a later batch after they started putting the band together. Maybe Dialate was in the original tape? I remember Mike saying on his blog Reading My Eyes was in the tape they would send to record companies AND the tape they would pass to new fans:

http://www.bloggang.com/viewblog.php?id=circlegriff&date=17-06-2008&group=12&gblog=12

However, on Kerrang! Joe does say By Myself was written by Xero, so his memory might not be the best. In the Billboard article Mike talks about doing the demos with Chester and we know Mark isn't credited for the song.

But he mentions this 3-song demo twice (in both his videos I think). At first I thought he got the Xero tape wrong because it's 4 songs and 1 1/2 made it on the album. But then he mentions it again that they started on the next batch of songs after the original show case 3-song tape which became the 4-song Xero tape (presumably). Never knew of that and I doubt there is a lot left from it after all this time (see the "Rhinestone" audition tape rip).

I haven't listened to it yet, but "Dialate" might be one of those songs.

Btw: The videos contain more little bits of information which is not in the written version.

Edited by Trumtram

I'm confused how the Xero (4-track) tape would be "after the band started coming together" when Rhinestone is the only track that features anyone other than Mike and Mark.

Maybe they just did Reading My Eyes/Stick N Move/Fuse as the first batch of 3 songs, then added Rhinestone later, and that's what they're thinking of?

Joe specifically talks about the 4-track they had to use for recording but mentions it for the songs after the 3-song demo. There might be something to this which is funny considering how we thought with HT20 this early chapter of the band might find rest :D.

Of course this might be the case of Joe mixing stuff up like Mike did in the past. But we should at least keep this on our radar. Maybe Joe mixed up "By Myself" with "Esaul" as that one was worked on with Mark besides "Rhinestone".

Edited by Trumtram