Mike Shinoda Interview with Forbes

LPLStaff

Forbes has posted a new interview with Mike.

Baltin: At what point did this evolve into an album?

Shinoda: When people's tour schedules fell apart and they weren't allowed to continue on as planned I watched a number of artists panic because the things they planned to do they weren't getting to do. And also because the attention they were expecting to have from people was gonna go away. And all of a sudden they were scrambling to grab people's attention in other ways. All of a sudden every single music artist in the universe had to live stream concerts from their bedroom. And I was so bored by that. I don't know why I felt that way. I just didn't like it. And that's not a knock by the way.

Baltin: Were there any live streams you enjoyed?

Shinoda: Post Malone's Nirvana one was dope. That was one of my favorite ones. I've caught some of the stuff that Questlove and the Roots have done. Quest is always spinning records and stuff, talking about his experience in the studio or bits and pieces of trivia about the artists that he's playing. I love that. My favorite things have been random unknown singers on Instagram who sit down with a guitar and sing a thing. And Instagram's algorithm is so good that it knows now that's what I love. And it just shows me new singers with like 25,000 followers singing a song with a ukulele. That's half my feed (laughs).

Baltin: So could these discoveries ever lead to collaborations?

Shinoda: When I hear people I think are really dope I reach out. That's how I ended up doing a remix with Ren For Short. I heard her on a playlist and I was like, "What's this girl all about?" She had like no followers. I put it on my playlist, I posted it on Instagram, she DM'ed me, we started talking and then I made a remix for her and we debuted it on my stream on Twitch.

Baltin: One of the interesting things about this time is seeing how people evolve and show different sides of themselves. I doubt you would have made an all-instrumental album at another time.

Shinoda: I fell into it. These albums, Dropped Frames is gonna be the first of at least three. I've got the second one done and the third one is in progress. And I say in progress, basically it's just tightening up and mixing stuff that I made on the stream. But certainly it's a thing I wouldn't have done unless I was in this situation that I'm in right now. It's also funny cause it's clearly not for everybody. Instrumental music is not your way to the Billboard top five (laughs).  But anybody who knows my discography knows I've done instrumentals often, on every record, every couple of records there [are] instrumental tracks. A few different instrumental pieces that have gone to film and TV as well. I feel like there is a poetry to the instrumental that it leaves an openness to interpretation in terms of the content that is a lot of fun. And I haven't ever done that before on a full-length album.

Check out the full interview here.

8 hours ago, PurpleFlinstoneVitamins92 said:

Acting again like the "alternative guy" that doesn't want to be in the Top 5 LOL ;) 

I'm sure he does, but I'm also sure he didn't expect this album to go to the top of the charts since it's just Open Door, 10 instrumentals, and Booty Down lol. This is all just for fun.

On 7/12/2020 at 5:05 PM, PurpleFlinstoneVitamins92 said:

Acting again like the "alternative guy" that doesn't want to be in the Top 5 LOL ;) 

He has been in the top5 for years, he knows his target is not top5 crowd, he built his own fanbase and doesnt need Billboard to tell him he is succesfull.

If he wanted to be in the top5 he would just drop an LP song using remixed Chesters vocals, say this is his legacy and what he wanted and milk it as much as he wants

44 minutes ago, Cesar656 said:

He has been in the top5 for years, he knows his target is not top5 crowd, he built his own fanbase and doesnt need Billboard to tell him he is succesfull.

If he wanted to be in the top5 he would just drop an LP song using remixed Chesters vocals, say this is his legacy and what he wanted and milk it as much as he wants

preach bro. preach. this sums up everything. haha

1 hour ago, Cesar656 said:

Like LOL I was kidding. 
Who’s bringing up the Mike vs GD argument again now ? 

39 minutes ago, PurpleFlinstoneVitamins92 said:

Like LOL I was kidding. 
Who’s bringing up the Mike vs GD argument again now ? 

This is a forum and is all text so the "jokes" get a bit lost sometimes. 

Also since in the past you attacked Mike's music (TRT, Dropped Frames, Etc) people get a bit defensive and bring Amends on this, since you mention it in every opportunity you have. of course people are gonna take advantage off that and try to attack it just to pissed you off, thats like internet 101.

Ok I’ll stop making jokes about Mike and his awesome groundbreaking music, I’ll make Amends, just give me a second chance lol 😂 

Anyway, I Never attacked Dropped Frames, just said that I’m not huge on it, but I listen to some tracks from time to time. 

Edited by PurpleFlinstoneVitamins92