Mike Q&A Summary 7/7/2020

LPLStaff

Mike's Q&A recap and highlights from July 7th!

Mike took a huge look at the "Open Door" multitracks in ProTools and discussed the song... we highly recommend it if you haven't seen it. The vocal layering is pretty impressive.

- "If you had an opportunity to travel back in time to change a moment in your life, would you do it or not?" -> "That's a good question. And I know that you weren't thinking of what I'm thinking of right now when you wrote that question, because now it becomes painfully obvious what the answer to that question is. So we're going to take that and move that, and put that to the side. And other than that, hmm. The joke version of that was - red hair, that's what you guys said in the chat. What else was there? Blue hair. Here's a crazy, like, to go ahead and dive into the real answer to that question though... here's the thing. Here's an existential question - if you know somebody who is super depressed and they are... in the process of the last few years, I've talked to many people who have said they have a friend or relative or know somebody who has attempted suicide many times and they were like, "What should I do?" So the question becomes, if you had the Doc Brown time machine and you could go back in time and be there when the person did it and effectively just be there. In your imagination, you'd just be there and you'd stop them. But if they are going to keep trying, then being there doesn't fix it, right? Mmm. So then... what do you do? I don't know what you do, I don't have the answer to that question, Doc Brown."

- "The Meeting of the ATS documentary suggests the sessions became somewhat stressful at the end. Could you talk about what was going on at that time? Were there fears of missing deadlines?" -> "The ATS sessions got stressful at the end because they we were trying to get the record wrapped up and we had committed to a deadline and then the deadline was starting to approach and then we realized, it was like, "Oh, we've got a real deadline." And that's really the only reason. We were just trying to keep ourselves on track to do like, do the things we said we were going to do and finish the record. It wasn't stressful the way Hybrid Theory was stressful or the way Minutes To Midnight was stressful. Hybrid Theory was stressful because the guy from the label was being horrible and trying to change everything. The Minutes To Midnight sessions were getting stressful because it felt like we were never going to put a record out, it was just like going around in circles over and over and making more demos and making more demos."

- Mike was asked if the tabs you can buy for guitarists are officially done by the band or done by someone else just listening to the music. Mike: "I don't remember. I have personally never done those, I have never sat down and said, "This is what I wrote." At the same time, I know that our stuff is not super complex so you can hear the notes. So you wouldn't need to be some virtuoso to figure out what the guitar part on "What I've Done" is, for example. But I haven't been asked, so that's my answer. But probably, the artist is not asked."

- Asked if he has any weird traditions: "Not really. We celebrate Japanese Children's Day, we do Halloween, we do all of the normal ones."

- "Why wasn't Debris released? It was a lit demo." -> "I always liked Debris. It is a good demo. I tried to play with it, I got as far as the demo that you've heard that's on the LPU release. I got that far with it, and I submitted it to the band. We had our Monday Meetings, like here are demos, here are demos. I submitted it to the band a few times and I was like, "I like this track" and nobody else liked it. And I just didn't finish it, because nobody was into it. It is what it is. And that's sometimes how it works guys"

- Mike said you are allowed to cover the new songs and post them online as long as you are not making money from them. He specifically said he instructed his management to whitelist them to allow them to be played on Twitch in streams. If it's on YouTube or somewhere else, give Mike credit.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/672688792

Fuck that was heavy.

But i got what Mike is saying, and that's somehow a relief for his conscience. 

Chester orbited suicide a couple of times... those other times he was saved somehow. If someone saved him on the july 20th, we wouldn't know about it for years... probably until he tried it again and succeed. Depression is almost unstoppable. So, really, Chester's death wasn't anyones fault and no one could really prevent that...

52 minutes ago, kiq fLP said:

I found weird the story behind "Debris". I mean, the song has gang vocals on it. The way as Mike said, gave me the impression that we wroted the whole demo by himself.

Debris doesn't have any gang vocals, Mike is the only one on vocals on that song. He did write the entire demo by himself.

9 hours ago, LPLStaff said:

- Mike was asked if the tabs you can buy for guitarists are officially done by the band or done by someone else just listening to the music. Mike: "I don't remember. I have personally never done those, I have never sat down and said, "This is what I wrote." At the same time, I know that our stuff is not super complex so you can hear the notes. So you wouldn't need to be some virtuoso to figure out what the guitar part on "What I've Done" is, for example. But I haven't been asked, so that's my answer. But probably, the artist is not asked."

I'd think that Astat knows better what they are playing on the guitar than LP themselves :D

8 hours ago, vinifeijo said:

Fuck that was heavy.

But i got what Mike is saying, and that's somehow a relief for his conscience. 

Chester orbited suicide a couple of times... those other times he was saved somehow. If someone saved him on the july 20th, we wouldn't know about it for years... probably until he tried it again and succeed. Depression is almost unstoppable. So, really, Chester's death wasn't anyones fault and no one could really prevent that...

Definitely ... I always thought that if didn’t happen that it’d have probably happened another day... yeah maybe we could have had some more months or even years With Chester, but it’s not anyone’s fault 

On 7/8/2020 at 6:14 PM, kiq fLP said:

I found weird the story behind "Debris". I mean, the song has gang vocals on it. The way as Mike said, gave me the impression that we wroted the whole demo by himself.

You realize that he can record layers of his own vocals, right?