Mike Q&A Summary 5/22/2020

LPLStaff

Here we go again! Mike answered some cool stuff on the 22nd, and here's the recap.

- "How did you start making music when you were young?" -> "I started with classical piano for about ten years. After that I went to basically sequencing and samplers. Back then, keep in mind, we didn't have the technology that we have today. So it was different. So I couldn't make stuff on a laptop, I was literally making stuff with like a cassette tape recorder. And like really shitty samplers and stuff like that. Specifically I did Akai S900 which I loved. I was programming it using a drum machine called the HR16, you'd have to literally... there was a little box and it was supposed to be a drum machine with its own drum sound but you could turn the volume off on that and instead of it playing its own sound, you could have it play triggered sounds off the other thing. So I'd have that, trigger my sampler, run the sampler into the cassette four track, and then rap over the beats. And I was using a $100 microphone. Microphone straight into the four track, nothing else. Sounded like shit."

- "You and Chester wrote QWERTY on the plane?" -> "The lyrics were written on the plane, but the music was not. So we did the music beforehand and then Chester and I wrote... like we had already started on the lyrics before we flew, and then we were running and forth in the plane to each other. We weren't far, like we were a few seats from each other. And we'd come over and be like "hey what do you think of this?" He wrote it, I usually write lyrics on my phone and he would write it on paper, he would usually write. He was slow typing and paper was faster and he was writing it and it was back and forth."

- "Can you talk about the making of "Promises I Can't Keep?" -> "There isn't anything really unique in terms of that, it wasn't different making that one versus making the other ones. The Post Traumatic record, everything was just capturing what was going on at the time when each song was made. And make the whole song as quickly as possible, at least get all the lyrics and vocal recordings as quickly as possible so I could capture that day and that moment in time. So, the same thing for that one. I think the lyrics are very self explanatory. The music was a track that I already had that I didn't use. And I heard it... I was like picking through folders of things, "oh I really like this one." And I feel like it filled a role on the album, because I wanted something on there that felt a little more like a Linkin Park song, like my version of what that would be if that would be, if that makes sense. It dipped its toes in the water of like a Linkin Park. So I thought that was important to have on the record."

1 hour ago, hybrider said:

Please someone ask Mike about Thoughts That Take Away My Pride!

There's just no way he knows what that song is this far from it. Did you see him try to answer the Reading My Eyes question yesterday? lol

15 hours ago, xeroboi said:

What did he say about it 

He said LP brought RME back into the setlist because they only had 40 minute time slots so they had to play RME, And One, Step Up, and covers to fill time in the sets. 2001.

Lmao.

2 hours ago, MrCinder said:

Has he ever answered if the last song for post traumatic will get some form of video?

The guy with the hard drive it was on was racially profiled at the airport in Israel during the Post Traumatic Tour and they stole the hard drive after going through all of his stuff. Crazy.

On 5/26/2020 at 11:34 AM, LPLStaff said:

There's just no way he knows what that song is this far from it. Did you see him try to answer the Reading My Eyes question yesterday? lol

What did he say about it 

On 5/27/2020 at 3:36 PM, LPLStaff said:

He said LP brought RME back into the setlist because they only had 40 minute time slots so they had to play RME, And One, Step Up, and covers to fill time in the sets. 2001.

Lmao.

WHAT xD why is mike memory so bad