Mike on iHeartRadio's Inside The Studio Podcast

RogueSoul

Mike recently joined iHeartRadio's Inside The Studio podcast for its debut episode to talk about his new record Post Traumatic, which is out on Friday.

The podcast is definitely worth a listen. Mike covers a lot of ground in the 44 minutes he's on, including clips of new songs! Other highlights of the podcast include Mike talking about the future of Linkin Park (saying that it just isn't feasible to sing Chester's songs), what Mike misses most about Chester (their hugs at the end of every show), and the possibility of adding touring members to his live show. He has a lot of interesting comments about a hypothetical Chester replacement, as well, for those curious about his current thoughts about the future of Linkin Park.

If you want to listen to the podcast, click here.

Liked his thoughts on replacing Chester. Nobody can. Continue the band as a 5 piece and I'll support it 100%. Mike is fully capable of fronting the band, which we've learned even more so now with Post Traumatic, he can sing well. He has sang well for a few years now, though. I would never support replacing Chester as a 15 year fan of the band who has seen them 19 times and owns thousands of dollars worth of merch. Can't be done.

It's also funny that Mike said he wasn't very good with hip hop. One of Chester's absolute BEST vocal performances of his entire career was the ending of Slow Ya Roll after the last chorus, the Young Buck track. I also loved his verses on Blackout and Sorry For Now, they were fantastic to me. I also loved him rapping Sabotage in 2012. B12 was also great. Hmm. Lol. Chester was just great at anything.

Edited by Geki

Liked his thoughts on replacing Chester. Nobody can. Continue the band as a 5 piece and I'll support it 100%. Mike is fully capable of fronting the band, which we've learned even more so now with Post Traumatic, he can sing well. He has sang well for a few years now, though. I would never support replacing Chester as a 15 year fan of the band who has seen them 19 times and owns thousands of dollars worth of merch. Can't be done.

It's also funny that Mike said he wasn't very good with hip hop. One of Chester's absolute BEST vocal performances of his entire career was the ending of Slow Ya Roll after the last chorus, the Young Buck track. I also loved his verses on Blackout and Sorry For Now, they were fantastic to me. I also loved him rapping Sabotage in 2012. B12 was also great. Hmm. Lol. Chester was just great at anything.

What did he say? I can't listen this podcast because of snippets of new songs. So new singer is not an option for the band?

This podcast was really insightful and nice to listen to. We usually get the same information across all interviews but this pod gave us some nice refreshing info.

Also, what is the track playing in the back at 13:00? That is officially the track I am now looking forward to most.

It indeed sounds like he is not interested in a replacement vocalist, he is really blunt with his words. He says there is just simply no one that can take Chester's place or sing his songs. "No one is Chester." We have to remember it's not just a singer they would have to replace, it's a soulmate, a literal best friend (hell, more than a best friend, like a brother). It reminds me of Mike talking to Zane Lowe last month saying, "you'd have to go on tour with the new person....ehhhhh."

The interviewer did good but I cannot believe he repeated the 324 shows in 2001 claim. It's so outlandish that surely you'd do a double take and say "that isn't possible." We disproved that over the years.

I don't think Mike meant Chester can't SING hip hop, I think he was referring to him rapping. And that's ironic because Chester sounds 10x better rapping Sorry For Now than Mike does, LOL! I indeed love his performance on Slow Ya Roll, We Made It, etc. He has sung on an incredibly large amount of hip hop songs throughout his lengthy career, including many LP songs. I don't see why Mike would be referring to "singing" hip hop since Chester did it so much for LP. Almost all of Reanimation, he guested with Fort Minor several times, High Voltage, the Hybrid Theory EP, LPU songs, I mean just a very large amount of hip hop songs that Chester sang on. On the contrary, he has only rapped twice, once on Blackout and once on Sorry For Now. Both are excellent performances. Odd comment by Mike.

It indeed sounds like he is not interested in a replacement vocalist, he is really blunt with his words. He says there is just simply no one that can take Chester's place or sing his songs. "No one is Chester." We have to remember it's not just a singer they would have to replace, it's a soulmate, a literal best friend (hell, more than a best friend, like a brother). It reminds me of Mike talking to Zane Lowe last month saying, "you'd have to go on tour with the new person....ehhhhh."

I don't know, man. I have a weird feeling. I feel like in few months or maybe year Mike might say „We can't replace Chester and we don't wanna play without him. We're done.“ :'(

Edited by FromTheInside

The interviewer did good but I cannot believe he repeated the 324 shows in 2001 claim. It's so outlandish that surely you'd do a double take and say "that isn't possible." We disproved that over the years.

I don't think Mike meant Chester can't SING hip hop, I think he was referring to him rapping. And that's ironic because Chester sounds 10x better rapping Sorry For Now than Mike does, LOL! I indeed love his performance on Slow Ya Roll, We Made It, etc. He has sung on an incredibly large amount of hip hop songs throughout his lengthy career, including many LP songs. I don't see why Mike would be referring to "singing" hip hop since Chester did it so much for LP. Almost all of Reanimation, he guested with Fort Minor several times, High Voltage, the Hybrid Theory EP, LPU songs, I mean just a very large amount of hip hop songs that Chester sang on. On the contrary, he has only rapped twice, once on Blackout and once on Sorry For Now. Both are excellent performances. Odd comment by Mike.

I agree with everything you said. I mean Chester was a rock God first and foremost, just listen to him sing with real rock bands and stuff from over the years, he was Godly. I saw him with Kings of Chaos in Boston in late 2016 and he sounded AMAZING. I’ve also seen him with STP many times and DBS, etc. But check out his other features with Camp Freddy, Hunger Strike and so much more. But he could definitely do hip hop 100% and sounded great. Definitely an odd comment. As far as LP continuing, they can’t replace Chester. Can’t be done. And Mike knows it, that’s why he says it. I’m glad the tribute show helped him realize that nobody is Chester in case he was having doubts or something before. Haters will say that Chester wasn’t a God but he was. Like I said, listen to those real rock band songs that he has done, don’t just credit him for like ITE. (Haters)

Definitely a heartfelt interview from Mike. He (and the others) have come along way. I can't imagine how it must feel trying to promote an album but having the conversation always derail to Chester. I am sure that he expects it, but I appreciate the way he handles it. I feel like I learn something new about him everyday.

Probably Mike tried to say that he wasn't good at writing rap verses cause when he performed he sounded awesome! Don't forget about Fight For Your Right that one was also amazing.

Oh wow I forgot Fight For Your Right. Sounded badass.