LPU15 11th Track - "Attached" (2003 Demo)

hahninator

"Attached (2003 Demo) is the fifth of six free tracks available for download bi-monthly exclusively to LPU members."

attached.jpg

"Attached" is the 11th song from LPU 15, with one bi-monthly demo remaining that is due in October. The track is a 3:28 instrumental that was previously-unknown before this release. It is possible the song is mislabeled (as others have been) and is really from 2002, as the Meteora sessions wrapped up extremely early in 2003 (finishing vocals, mixing and mastering for the album). "Attached" is a Meteora-era song, but without the loud, explosive guitar from that era and instead featured sampled drums and samples by Joe and Mike over a poppy beat.

LPU members can download the song here.
Mike's track-by-track video can be seen here.

Mike says he even thinks the song came from a later batch of songs, meaning it sounds a little past the Meteora time. Unfortunately, vocals didn't work on the song.

I think when Mike says that the song sounds like it came from a "later batch," he's specifically referring to it not sounding like a typical Meteora song. The guitar in particular sounds more like a Minutes to Midnight era thing.

Entirely possible that the 2003 date is correct and that this isn't even a Meteora demo, if it was a home studio thing Mike could've thrown this together while at home between tours. Keep in mind they were off for two months from late April until late June because of Chester's medical problems.

There's a part where it sounds like "Issho Ni". Probably this is the early demo.

Huh, that quiet guitar part that comes in way in the background about halfway through Issho Ni really does sound like it may have been sampled from this track. Hard to say that with certainty, though. Even if it is sampled, I wouldn't really call this a demo of Issho Ni based on that because every other aspect of the two songs is different. That'd be like saying High Voltage is a demo of Nobody's Listening.

As Astat said, this could be easily a quick demo that Mike did before the album was released in march of that year. As far as the demo itself goes, not bad, nothing like how we've heard Meteora demos before made between 2001-2002. It's something that could perfectly fit somehow between FM-MTM era. I highly expected another vocal demo but I see Mike doesn't like that era that much in terms of vocals that he only releases instrumentals with the exception of Breaking the Habit from LPU XIV.

Edited by KlaytonShinoda

As Astat said, this could be easily a quick demo that Mike did before the album was released in march of that year. As far as the demo itself goes, not bad, nothing like how we've heard Meteora demos before made between 2001-2002. It's something that could perfectly fit somehow between FM-MTM era. I highly expected another vocal demo but I see Mike doesn't like that era that much in terms of vocals that he only releases instrumentals with the exception of Breaking the Habit from LPU XIV.

He had also released faint and figure09

When Mike says they tried several vocal treatments on the track, it's indicting to me that it was a part of the Meteora sessions. They had nothing else to record for in 2003 and didn't widely record on tour as they did for Hybrid Theory. Sure, Mike was at home for a few months but did he write music? Who knows. Maybe not as they spent so much time touring that year. I think it's more feasible to believe that it's from 2002 with the rest of the Meteora instrumental batch and is simply mislabeled like a few of the other LPU demos. It's 13 years ago, they probably saw "Meteora" and tossed 2003 on it.

I could be wrong, but that's what I think.

And it does indeed sound post Meteora.

When Mike says they tried several vocal treatments on the track, it's indicting to me that it was a part of the Meteora sessions. They had nothing else to record for in 2003 and didn't widely record on tour as they did for Hybrid Theory. Sure, Mike was at home for a few months but did he write music? Who knows. Maybe not as they spent so much time touring that year. I think it's more feasible to believe that it's from 2002 with the rest of the Meteora instrumental batch and is simply mislabeled like a few of the other LPU demos. It's 13 years ago, they probably saw "Meteora" and tossed 2003 on it.

I could be wrong, but that's what I think.

And it does indeed sound post Meteora.

Maybe it was 2005 just like After Canada from LPU XIV?

it sounds so similar

Every other Meteora demo to this point (that's had a date put on it) was consistently labeled as 2002 though. It's one thing to be consistently wrong about 1998 vs. 1999 with Hybrid Theory demos, but it'd be odd for them to switch at this point.

LP was definitely recording on tour during the Meteora period: http://www.mtv.com/news/1490099/linkin-park-cook-up-collaborations-new-album-on-tour/

Mike also goes off on a tangent about songs not making the cut and being revisited later on in the track-by-track video for this song...yeah, the song may have had attempts at vocal treatments, but that doesn't mean they necessarily happened in 2003. We admittedly know VERY little about LP's writing/recording output between the release of Meteora and the start of the MTM sessions in 2006.

Also keep in mind that this could easily be a Mike Shinoda solo demo that they arbitrarily decided to release under the Linkin Park name years later, like Universe.

Edited by Astat

Another thing to remember is that during the MTV Special of Projekt Revolution 2004, Mike said they had a full recording studio in the back of the bus. They definitely recorded songs during the Meteora Tour in 2003 and 2004. I agree with above posts about how it sounds different than most of the other Meteora demos. This one actually sounds quite like a Minutes to Midnight demo or maybe a demo made in between Meteora and Minutes to Midnight, like said above. Check out the interview below where Mike talks about it.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x18ph8m_rock-am-ring-2004-mike-shinoda-interview-mtv-germany_music

Edited by DarkChester

Another thing to remember is that during the MTV Special of Projekt Revolution 2004, Mike said they had a full recording studio in the back of the bus. They definitely recorded songs during the Meteora Tour in 2003 and 2004. I agree with above posts about how it sounds different than most of the other Meteora demos. This one actually sounds quite like a Minutes to Midnight demo or maybe a demo made in between Meteora and Minutes to Midnight, like said above. Check out the interview below where Mike talks about it.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x18ph8m_rock-am-ring-2004-mike-shinoda-interview-mtv-germany_music

A bit off topic but there's a way to see those tour photos that Mike talk about? Edited by stich

Great points.

Also, the article is interesting. Snoop definitely didn't come out at Camden, Atlanta, or Somerset, but the article is from the Camden show saying he's come out for It's Goin' Down already. That means it happened in the first 8 shows of the tour at some point. We previously thought it was at just this show: http://lplive.net/shows/db/2004/20040830

Great points.

Also, the article is interesting. Snoop definitely didn't come out at Camden, Atlanta, or Somerset, but the article is from the Camden show saying he's come out for It's Goin' Down already. That means it happened in the first 8 shows of the tour at some point. We previously thought it was at just this show: http://lplive.net/shows/db/2004/20040830

Pretty sure it was Wantagh. Chester had this hairstyle for one part of the tour and then shaved his head later on halfway through the tour. And this photo proves that Snoop came out before the Colorado show, for sure, judging by that alone. If you watch the video of the Albuquerque 2004 interview, you can see that Chester's hair was shaved at that point as well, which took place a few days before the Colorado show. But I think Chester had on this same outfit at Jones Beach, so that would mean he came out at this show. If you click on the photo, it will be enlarged.

post-127302-0-84332300-1470427640_thumb.jpg

EDIT: Just read the show notes for Wantagh. Seems that Snoop came out but his mic wasn't working., which renders this post useless. Haha.

EDIT 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c31nIzzurrA

In this video, Chester says that they had Jay-Z up on stage with them ''the other night'', he was referring to the Holmdel show. It's then said that they want to get Snoop up on stage with them eventually. And the show between Holmdel and Camden was Hartford, which has no set information at all on the LPL page. So it must have been the Hartford show. Since we know it's not Wantagh because of that photo, as well as the fact that Snoop's mic didn't work.

Edited by DarkChester

Getty can be double checked, they list all the show info. Let's look at their database, find that picture from 2004 (easy to just search for Linkin Park 2004 and scroll to it) and confirm where/when that picture is from.

I searched for ''Linkin Park Projekt Revolution 2004'' on Google Images and found it.