Interviews + Random Newsworthy Stuff

Skipees

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

New interview about OML with Brad and Joe for Shock in Colombia: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bD_AH0HKCsY .

Here´s the translation to the questions and Brad´s answers in Spanish:

On whether it´s a concept album or not: Brad said that they didn' try to make a concept album, they just wanted to write honest and personal songs (then he gives up in Spanish and continues in English lol)

How long did it take to write the album: Brad said that they had been writing music for 2 years, but the album itself took aproximately a year and a half. They wrote close to 70 songs, and then picked their 10 favorite songs to be part of OML.

Third question is about "dark lyrics" on the album, and he answers in English.

On the song Heavy: He said that it´s a good introduction to the album because it represents the album sonically.

Question 5 is on how the collaboration with Kiiara came about, and Joe answers in English,

Question 6 is whether they are going to donate money off of the album sales. Answer in English.

Question 7 is on how it felt to make music 20 years ago. Joe answers in English.

Edited by danielpsoad-09

• 2 weeks later...

• Mike noticed how things haven't really changed as far as music writing and technology goes since he began.

• His favorite movies are The Godfather II and One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest. He's excited to see the new Guardians Of The Galaxy and Valerian.

• Mike and the band encourage remixers to keep doing there things.

• Mike usually doesn't freestyle a lot.

• Mike is trying to find ways to get more demos and studio content that didn't make the album out to fans. Not all of it, because a lot of it is bad. There is some cool stuff, though.

• On the subject of the "Old Linkin Park" sound: the band's always trying to experiment. He compared them to McDonalds. They don't want to be the same Big Mac all the time. #deep
  • Hybrid Theory and Meteora have different sounds in them. 'Points Of Authority' isn't the same as 'Nobody's Listening' and 'Breaking The Habit'.

• The band doesn't hate those albums - they still play them live.

• It's weird to Mike to think that people think the older songs are deeper than the newer stuff.

• The band still like to bring back old sounds into their sound - he often hears that from people who don't even know The Hunting Party.

• 'Leave Out All The Rest' may be in the new set. (THE BALLAD MEDLEY RETURNS?)

• Mike would like to perform with an orchestra.

• The band are working on a new video for another new song that isn't super serious. It's not super silly, but it's still not very serious. It's a change of pace.

• Chester has a potty mouth.

http://mix941fm.cbslocal.com/2017/04/19/mike-shinoda-on-mercedes-in-the-morning/

Transcription by LP Coalition:

Q: We are in touch with Mike Shinoda. Good morning, Mike!
M: Good morning, how are you?
Q: Great! I can not believe that Linkin Park is coming back to us. I adore you, and you will participate in the SPF festival. How excited are you?
M: This is very exciting. This will be a very special performance, because on the same day our new album One More Light is released.
Q: Oh my God! That is, we will be the first to officially hear all this! It's so cool!
M: Yes, the album is released on May 19, the same day that we are performing.
Q: Yes, besides, it will be Friday, so you will come, light, play something from the new album, and on Saturday you can sleep and enjoy other performances.
M: Let's try. And you planned a great concert, cool.
V: Yes, very cool. I want to ask you, Mike. I'm a longtime fan of the band, and I wanted to ask the person directly from the group. I was at one of your concerts in the Linkin Park T-shirt, which I bought at the previous concert. And people said: "You can not wear a Linkin Park t-shirt for a Linkin Park concert." It's true? You can, right?
M: I've never heard anything like it in my life. I heard only the opposite. Our fans are always wearing Linkin Park T-shirts.
Q: And what if I bought a T-shirt on the day of the concert and immediately put it on? This is normal?
M: I want to say that we always do something for our fans. And when we perform, we arrange meetings with our fans, 75 people come to them, and we communicate with them.
Q: My husband and I are members of the club, but one day he got to a meeting, but I did not, and I sat and waited for him.
Q: Have you ever been asked to sign on your hand or on your chest? Were there any strange cases when people asked to sign something?
M: People are often surprised when you tell them that many people are asking to sign on the skin so that they can then make a tattoo. And in some ways this is due to the fact that Joe and I went to the art school, so they are more confident in our ability to paint something on them. And one thing when they ask to sign. They often ask me to draw something.
Q: And what did you draw the last time?
M: I used to draw characters from cartoons in my childhood, so I usually draw little men. But one day a girl asked me to draw something, so she later made a tattoo. And I asked her what she wanted, and she said: "Draw a bear." And I tell her: "I warn you that I do not draw bears so often, I do not even remember when I last drew a bear." What if I draw it and it turns horrible and you have to make a tattoo out of it? ? " And she says: "Oh, yes great!" So I drew this bear and it worked out well. So everything turned out well.
Q: I learned something about you, and it embarrassed me. So I want to know if it's true or not. Your favorite pizza is pizza with pineapple?
M: Not my favorite, but I like it. We call it Hawaiian pizza, although I think it has nothing to do with Hawaii. But these days it is such a widely discussed topic.
Q: There is a secret pizzeria in Cosmopolitan, you can not ask to add pineapple to the pizza. If you come, do not you dare to order a pizza with pineapple.
M: And if I order a pineapple separately, and while nobody looks, will I add it to the pizza?
Q: Loophole!
Q: That's it! This is a Loophole from Linkin Park. We are looking forward to seeing you here at Cosmopolitan, in Las Vegas. I have to tell you, Mike. I do not know if I am the first person to say this to you, or you are constantly being told, and you are already tired of it. Did anybody tell you that in one song words are changed into your name?
M: I hear about it for the first time.
Q: Okay. This is the song My Sharona. I can not sing it like that! I sing Maaike Shinodaa!
M: I love it! Thank you!
Q: We are looking forward to your performance on SPF on the same day as the new Linkin Park album - One More Light. It's so good to hear something new from Linkin Park. And thanks for taking part in our program.

M: Thank you for inviting me.

• 2 weeks later...

Mike talks about a collaborator whose song didn't make the album, Wyatt Durrette:

We've learned on every album we've ever done. And not just in a production role but also from each other, and even on this new album from some of the collaborators.
I'll give you an example. We have one of the songs, that actually didn't make the album, we wrote it with a guy named Wyatt who colabs with Zac Brown. He works with Zac Brown a lot, so all country music pretty much. And Wyatt doesn't play instruments and he doesn't sing, and he writes vocals. You go "how the fuck did he do that?" I don't understand how that works.
And he came to town, he flew in, and he's just like, I feel like he could be part of my mom's family. My mom's family is like we're an West Virginian family, like half of them play football. He is like this big, you know, kind of country dude and he comes in and sits down and we start talking like "how do you start?" like "how do you do this?" He says, "well..." and he like draws his "well", "I actually have, I write, I write words in my, my diary." And he pulls up this little black book of little thoughts and musings and whatever, and it's just words, like random pairings of words. And he kinda throws them out on me but he's not singing and he's not writing a song per say, he's putting ideas together.
And so I'm behind the piano and I'm going "ok" like "what if we pair this with that" and "what if we add these words or whatever" and it was a really weird way to start a song, 'cause it actually started with words in the book and like what's going on today and you put those together and, for me, that was a tool that I didn't have. Like, it never occurred to me to start with, like, just keep a diary or a journal of like weird phrases or whatever, and now I do that. Now I put it in my phone and I have that thing and if I find myself at a loss of a very good line I flip through on my phone. I flip through some of my little things and see if it inspires some cool words.

1) We got back the Got News sub-forum and it's very helpful to have a specific topic for new info and also it's easier to find

2) It's kinda annoying to come here to check if there's something new

This thread was originally in the Got News subforum. There's no point in cluttering the Got News subforum with small interviews that only have one or two details in them.

We can move it back to that subforum but still, this thread is great for what it does.

• 2 weeks later...