The Track Nine Trend

Sonic

Track nine on a Linkin Park album has held the track with the most split reactions on a Linkin Park album for the past few cycles. Did you ever notice this trend?

It started with Valentine's Day even though that song was preferred a little more than In Between when that album first came out. People thought Blackout was either great, terrible, or only liked certain parts of the song. Skin To Bone was another love/hate track especially with everyone loving Castle Of Glass and Roads Untraveled much more. Mark The Graves stands as the new track nine and you guessed it; people either love it or hate it due to it's progression and lack of a strong point (AKA a chorus where it becomes powerful).

Did you notice that every LP album ends soft, PMA, Numb, TLTGYA, TM, Powerless, ALITS ending and ambient end of POM.

And btw, most LP tracks are love/hate songs, what you found is just a confidence, look at every 3rd track on the album for example.

Hmm.. Valentine's Day is definitely one of my favorite songs off of Minutes To Midnight and I love Blackout, too. I also like SKIN TO BONE, which a lot of people hate. Mark The Graves is average, I don't love it or hate it. But I do notice a bit of a pattern, all of those songs are a bit experimental for LP and different than a lot of other songs on their respective albums.

honestly I think that you made up a point that doesn't exist. valentines day wasn't more controversial than in pieces, in between or loatr. the controversial part about blackout was only in the beginning. shortly after that it became a fan favorite. the only song that most people think is a hit or miss is i'll be gone

Personally I think sonic is right. Sure it's just a coincidence but I do remember Valentines day in the MTM era being hit or miss with fans. Probably not as much as In Between was but still.

Then again Robot boy was more controversial on ATS than Blackout and Skin to bone is just as controversial as Until it Breaks on LT. So... :P