LPLive + RTR:BR Interview With Mike & Phoenix

hahninator

A few months ago, LPLive had the opportunity to team up with RoadToRevolutionBR to send in questions for Linkin Park to answer about their brand new album The Hunting Party. Ten questions were composed by LPLive and our staff to send in with some help from RTRBR; in the end, someone chose three for RTRBR and then invited LPBR (Linkin Park Brazil) on for three. Somehow (maybe deliberately), LPLive was lost in the process here, but at least the band answered the questions that we wrote up. We'd like to thank Felipe Mendes for his time and effort in getting this interview for the sites!

Mike and Phoenix sat down with an iPad on the way to a recent show in Europe to answer the following three questions for the two sites:

1 - Looking back through your discography, Linkin Park is known for changing musical directions from album to album, keeping everyone on their toes and creating a lot of anticipation for new music. After recently discussing the change in direction for The Hunting Party with Rolling Stone, you said that you were unhappy with the current state of music with indie and pop. What made you decide to end up going with an aggressive, harder rock sound on this record?
2 - Besides Owen Pallett contributing strings to 'I'll Be Gone' on your last album, Living Things, Linkin Park hasn't had any guests on your albums outside of Reanimation. Were you making a conscious decision to just do something different this time around with guests on the album? Did it just feel natural to think outside of the box and bring someone else on board in a certain part in a song? With Rakim, Daron Malakian and Page Hamilton on The Hunting Party, that's quite an impressive list of guests!
3 - With The Hunting Party, we see something interesting from the band that we’ve never seen before - a self-production credit. After co-producing the last three albums with Rick Rubin, you guys take the full reigns here on this album. Was it just time to finally self-produce an album by yourselves?
Check it out and let us know what you think!

I don't know who wrote those 3 questions, the Rick Rubin one was okay -_- but someone seriously messed up the chance to ask something super interesting and in the end they asked nothing but cliche questions :mellow:.

It is not up for us. Their press staff who decides which one will be answered or not.
Since they are on the THP cycle, questions about it would be answered other side, no.

Quoestion nr. 1 and 3 was already answered before, question 2 was the only interesting one for me.

Somehow (maybe deliberately), LPLive was lost in the process here, but at least the band answered the questions that we wrote up.

Which question was answered?

I wish there was a way for LPL to get an interview with Mike in which we could ask questions that the fanbase has wondered for years.

Me too

I don't know who wrote those 3 questions, the Rick Rubin one was okay -_- but someone seriously messed up the chance to ask something super interesting and in the end they asked nothing but cliche questions :mellow:.

You mean they picked the cliche questions and avoided the good questions. You can't just ask some super random stuff we always wanted to know, a part of it had to be about the album.

BTW this was recorded on the way to Rock am Ring.

Everyone complaining about not having interesting questions answered, remember to submit questions for the band at http://askanything.co/artist-page.php?id=linkinpark. It's a good opportunity to get some good questions answered, but it will only happen if you ask.

I already did that, but there's one problem "Tuesday June 17th, 2014 at 8pm EST to see if your questions get answered!" 8pm EST is 2am in my time zone, and I have to go to school the next day. Will the answers last long after that time? If not can somebody take a shot or something of the answers?

Edited by TheDamian58C

I already did that, but there's one problem "Tuesday June 17th, 2014 at 8pm EST to see if your questions get answered!" 8pm EST is 2am in my time zone, and I have to go to school the next day. Will the answers last long after that time? If not can somebody take a shot or something of the answers?

I'm not sure how it's being run, whether it's video or text only, but regardless, I will do what I can to make sure everything is recorded.

I wrote them. Either we ask questions the fanbase wants to know and we get zero time of day from the press contact and we never get anything answered, or we ask these generalized questions about the new album/music and get a few answered. I figured something is better than nothing here. It's just how it works. It's INCREDIBLY difficult to get them to answer something - I am very surprised that this ended up happening.