LP with age

[High_Voltage]

this is kind of random, but "Crawling" came up on shuffle earlier, which of course, was followed by me listening to Hybrid Theory-Living Things back to back.

When I first started listening to LP, I was 12 and MTM had just come out, and I really connected with the album and all the songs, and I did really like HT and Meteora too, but I felt like the topics were "childish" and "immature". I loved ATS and LT when they came out too, and really connected as well. However, now I'm 18 and I find myself REALLY REALLY REALLY connecting with HT and Meteora, and I almost find the other three a lot more impersonal, still great of course.

How about you guys? How has LP changed for you as you have aged and as the band has aged?

I'm 21 years old right and LP has been a massive part of my life since about 14 years old. Their music got me through the trials and tribulations of high school, and they still get me through certain trials and tribulations today. Personally, I prefer their newer material nowadays, (don't know how many actually care or remember), but I'm sure many have heard me voice A Thousand Suns as my favorite album of theirs. However, it's important to remember where you came from, so of course I'm never gonna forget how much HT, Meteora, and even M2M (which came out around the latter of my high school years) helped me mature into the person I am today. You may think you connect better now with one song and another song at a different time, but the point is to remember that at some point, you connected with the song, which makes that song a part of you. To quote Figure.09 "now you've become a part of me." So, every Linkin Park song is a part of me.

Edited by Stone44

I've only REALLY listened to LP for like two years now, but during these two years I changed completely. Back then I really only 'connected' to WID, now I find myself connecting to a lot more songs spanning across each album.

lol Soul was like well yesterday i was 6 and numb has my anthem

lol

just kidding! anyways since english is not my first language im not really connected with the lyrics all i care about is the music and the fucking great vocals!

I was 12 when I first got Hybrid Theory, and that album was on repeat for months afterward. LP shepherded me through the evolution of my musical tastes, so much so that they actually kind of...shepherded themselves right out of my favorite bands after ATS.

I'm a firm believer that there's a huge line in the sand between HT/Meteora and the albums afterward in regards to the emotional maturity of the songs. One way I like to refer to it is the difference between "emo teen" music and "grown-up" music - and that's only partially satire.

MTM and ATS took very strong steps towards that "grown-up" area - but, as I've discussed before, there's a gigantic stigma surrounding the sound of their first two albums, and that stigma has skewed my perception of those albums in the intervening years. The fact that I consider ATS to be LP's greatest musical accomplishment goes a long way towards turning me away from HT and Meteora, as well.

To be quite honest, the only reason I follow LP and frequent LPL at this point is because of tradition and a respect/admiration for the musical tastes of my late childhood. Linkin Park was the first real band where I thought "I love this music and I want to immerse myself in it", and while I no longer share that sentiment with my 12 year old self, I can still respect and appreciate it as a 20 year old man.

Basically, my love of LP faded with time, though they may be able to drag me back in if they don't make another fucking LIVING THINGS.

LP hasn't really changed for me. I still love the band and have the same passion I did towards the band when I first started heavily getting into LP. The only thing they may have changed is the fact that I don't like how they're heading in the electronic direction, but I still will love LP's music no matter what. I don't listen to any other band the way that I do with LP, I love all of LP's songs, etc. At this point in my life, I'm explored a lot of different music, but LP is ''my band'' at this point, and they probably will be for the rest of my life. When LP stops making music, I'll probably be a bit older, maybe around 30, and I won't be focused on checking out new music the way I am now, so I probably will just be that old guy someday who only likes the music he grew up with.

I started listening to them when I was 15 and now I'm 21, so it's been a while.

I'm also a firm believer that Hybrid Theory and Meteora are really two completely different albums. Meteora was the first one I listened to, and it's what hooked me into the band so even now I never skip any of the tracks when I hear it on my iPod.

The others are interesting. As I've grown older I have gravitated more to listening to MTM/ATS then Hybrid Theory. I don't think Hybrid Theory has a bad song on it, but I think there are better songs on MTM/ATS.

LT is like a outlier. It was too rushed and the large majority of the songs I have to be in a specific mood to listen too.

Like Geki, I'm not thrilled with the electronic emphasis as of late. I was never a hiphop/electronic fan, Mike and LP pretty much being the only exception on my iPod. So I do miss Chester getting a chance to do, what I feel is his more natural area of rock. It's also why I don't mind at all that he takes the time to do STP since really that's where his voice shines IMO.

I think I'm still a pretty big fan, but I left fangirl a long time ago. I think the majority of us on this site are huge fans, but are willing to admit the band and everything they do isn't perfect.

I remember where I was. My dads best friend (who is now his boss, and his son is a friend of mine) was super excited about the band he liked had released their new video that week. It was In The End. I got Hybrid Theory from him soon after, and then Meteora came out a few years later. I didn't know about Reanimation or LPU CD's (I know about It's Goin' Down and POA Reanimation version though) until about 2004.

I was 12 then. I'm 24 now haha. Half my life ago.

I'm 21 and I've been listening to LP since Hybrid Theory came out. HT and Meteora were basically all I listened to in my pre-teen/early teen years but I really don't listen to their first two albums at all anymore. The last three are just so much better (to me) musically, lyrically, and thematically. A Thousand Suns is one of my top three favorite albums of all time and Minutes to Midnight and Living Things aren't too shabby either.