Stone Temple Pilots Change Name

Jen

Apparently it wasn't an official thing until now, and that was what the lawsuit was based on, by changing it officially, Scott can no longer tell them they can't use it.

Big doubt, It's like to open new company and to call it "Apple with *something*", It's still the same name. He still can claim his rights about the name from the rest of STP members.

But I think that the thing is that Chester not using the name.

It wasn't until now that it's legally STPWCB. Remember Scott has been saying for months that the DeLeo Brothers and Eric can't use the name.

Personally I'm frustrated that this is how it ended up. I know checking the STP boards that this is huge deal, but I wish that it was just STP.

I hope Chester is getting some pleasure out of being in the band, and that the rest of the band is keeping him out of the drama.

It would be funny if Scott sticks with the original name and then he would use so there will be 2 STP's

Oh but he "never tours as STP" but his current tour is called the Purple to the Core tour and he sings mostly STP songs.

It would be funny if Scott sticks with the original name and then he would use so there will be 2 STP's

STP with chester & STP without chester.it's good ,isn't it?!

or STP without the rest of the band.which one?

Big doubt, It's like to open new company and to call it "Apple with *something*", It's still the same name. He still can claim his rights about the name from the rest of STP members.

But I think that the thing is that Chester not using the name.

There is no doubt at all. When the members of Sublime reformed with a new singer they got sued over using the name Sublime, all the did was change their name to Sublime with Rome and that was the end of their legal troubles. There wasn't any legal troubles with Queen + Paul Rodgers either.

I suspected that this name was their legal "loophole". I guess if you add something to an existing name works as long as it's not a trademark.

EDIT: Apparently you can't copyright band names, but you register it as a trademark.

I suspected that this name was their legal "loophole". I guess if you add something to an existing name works as long as it's not a trademark.

Bands (/Their labels) don't make their names trademark as a basic thing?

"Stone Temple Pilots with Chester Bennington" is too long.I think "Stone Temple Pilots with Chester" is better :unsure:

Just imagine how many times you will hear "Chester who?". His name is not that unique or associated exclusively with him.