DJ Fresh producing LP's new album?

crazygolfer

"Think we're out of genres? Check out this EDM collab."

This is not new, they released tons of "Electronic" remixes to the songs of LT.

Like I'm always saying, Hybrid Theory formed as band that mixes between three genres - Rock, Hip-Hop and Electronic.

How people can be surprised from EDM collaboration/s after they heard all the remixes of LT? This band can decide tomorrow that they want to "change" their style again, but they can't. Because Linkin Park has no specific style. The whole thing about this band is the mix between the genres, so sometime the mix is "balanced" (HT and Meteora), sometime they take it too much to Hip-Hop (Reanimation), sometimes too much to Rock (MTM), sometime too much to Electronic music (ATS), and sometimes they're mixing the genres too much until you don't know what is that (LT).

But this is all about. HYBRID.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think that they're sellouts, I just think they have this weird thing where they feel they must PROVE that they can do anything. It's like "You think HT and Meteora were good? Check out this alternative rock album. Think that was good? Check out this electronic-driven "experience". Think that was good? Check this out: it's like everything in one. Think we're out of genres? Check out this EDM collab." It's like WE GET IT YOU'RE A VERSATILE BAND. I like all the albums but I don't understand where that attitude comes from. I remember reading a thread here asking if they will be forgotten if they were to call it a day. I think at this rate, yes. They're becoming a "jack of all trades master of none" type band.

Not everyone is like us. Some people probably love their older stuff, and turn their noses up at Iridescent and WID. The reverse is probably also true. They have not made a mark in music and stuck it out. They could have, if they stayed on the path they were on with Meteora. But they thought "fuck that we're not being labeled!". In doing that, they pushed away a lot of people and gained some others who didn't like them before. It's like they're ditching and gaining fans with each album (besides the hardcore fans who stick with them). I'm not saying they shouldnt have grown. i just think it feels a little forced sometimes. I think MTM sounds like more of a natural progression of their sound then ATS. I also remember them saying they had ideas they delibirately junked because it was too "Linkin Park-ish" while simaltaneously saying they "write whatever they want". I NEVER understood that. I'm a fan and I always will be, I just don't like the idea that they are forcing these style changes. I'm really sorry to rant guys... I just wanted to vent a little bit.

Dont get me wrong, about the whole "sellout" thing. I love the whole "Do whatever we want" thing. But as you said, sometimes it feel forced, and it feels like they did it, JUST for the sake of doing it. And not because they wanted to.

Well, keep in mind that as much as LP says they do everything for themselves and for nobody else (especially considering their declining record sales the past few years), there's got to be some part of them that hates the box that critics have put them into for thirteen years. That's got to piss you off, doesn't it? MTM comes out, "Oh look, they're trying ballads, still teenage garbage." ATS comes out, "Oh, you're Pink Floyd now? Fuck off. Trash." LT comes out, "Ah, there we go, run on back to nu-metal." Surely it grates on them - so when they start moving in a new direction, Mike or Chester or Brad or someone probably says, "What will they think of this, eh?" And that's not the sole motivation, of course, but it still factors in.

That could be sourced way back to MTM, where they intentionally did a 180 musically because they didn't want to be stuck in that box that HT and Meteora put them in. But, naturally, it was too late by then. They're never going to escape the stigma of being a nu-metal band for six years.

By the way, this topic got fucking intense. You guys are mad serious about this stuff. Not that that's a bad thing, it just doesn't happen here all that often any more.

More earlier:

DJ Fresh has revealed his aspirations to work with Linkin Park for his forthcoming third album.

The ‘Louder’ producer had previously been talking to the American band about a collaboration, however this didn’t go to plan as frontman Chester Bennington became a father.

"We were talking about Linkin Park, about a collaboration, but that didn't happen because Chester just had babies. So it was difficult timings-wise," he said.

Yet DJ Fresh has speculated that there will be a collaboration, "Possibly. We're just doing a deal at the moment with one of the labels in the States so watch this space," he said.

Source.

So I guess this is not even related to Recharge.

Well, keep in mind that as much as LP says they do everything for themselves and for nobody else (especially considering their declining record sales the past few years), there's got to be some part of them that hates the box that critics have put them into for thirteen years. That's got to piss you off, doesn't it? MTM comes out, "Oh look, they're trying ballads, still teenage garbage." ATS comes out, "Oh, you're Pink Floyd now? Fuck off. Trash." LT comes out, "Ah, there we go, run on back to nu-metal." Surely it grates on them - so when they start moving in a new direction, Mike or Chester or Brad or someone probably says, "What will they think of this, eh?" And that's not the sole motivation, of course, but it still factors in.

That could be sourced way back to MTM, where they intentionally did a 180 musically because they didn't want to be stuck in that box that HT and Meteora put them in. But, naturally, it was too late by then. They're never going to escape the stigma of being a nu-metal band for six years.

By the way, this topic got fucking intense. You guys are mad serious about this stuff. Not that that's a bad thing, it just doesn't happen here all that often any more.

This is so true!

LP has experimented enough. I don't understand why they ''HAVE to prove they can be DIFFERENT at ALL costs''. Seriously. They've done tons of different types of music since 2006 and I think that they should shape what their ''sound'' is and just stick with that sound. At this rate, LP will be forgotten and only remembered for Hybrid Theory and that ''Jay-Z CD''. That's it. MTM proved they could be different by far, they lost a shit-ton of fans. It may not sound too different nowadays, but in 2007, MTM was drastically different from Hybrid Theory and Meteora, with songs like Hands Held High and The Little Things Give You Away for good examples. Then came New Divide, which wasn't very different, maybe a little MTMish sounding. Huge single. Then came ATS in 2010 and that further changed their sound. They lost even MORE fans that hung on through the MTM times. With ATS, they proved they can do anything. It's a masterpiece album (I'm just not a fan of it in live settings unless they played it in full). No one knew what to even classify LP. That is exactly what LP had worked hard for, and wanted badly. Then they make LIVING THINGS in 2011/2012 and it's basically all albums mashed up into one (except not really). All they did IMO was blend their old ''nu-metal'' sound with the electronic stuff from ATS and go back to pop song structures. It wasn't groundbreaking or different, but it was a great album. It's like what you would expect from LP. Now in 2013, they release a bunch of one off EDM collaborations (there are more to come, trust me). FURTHER alienating the fanbase. I don't think anyone even cares about LP anymore to be honest, that aren't hardcore fans. Sure, people like the huge hit singles, but they aren't fans like us. What I'm saying is, they proved they could do anything in 2010, yet must have been unsatisfied or something. I honestly do not know what to expect from LP on the next album and it's scaring me. I don't want it to suck. You can only do so many styles, and it's obvious they won't touch the real ''metal'' realm or country realm (folk was the closest they would go). Even then, they said LT had folk style LP songs. No, it didn't. COG, STB and RU do not sound like folk songs at all, maybe the original demos did, idk. What else can they do? Become an EDM band? They have tackled rock, hip-hop, electronic, EDM (now), folk (I guess), old school metal (a few songs like NMS), alternative, dance, like wtf. What can they do? Country? Polka? Ska? Classical? Death metal? I can't see them doing any of those genres.

EDIT: Also, I'm not trying to offend anybody, but I've been seeing something that is pissing me off lately in the LP community. People saying that EDM music isn't new to LP. Wtf? It is. Trust me. Reanimation is a REMIX ALBUM, not a MAIN STUDIO ALBUM, and even then, it's a different kind of electronic and honestly more hip-hop oriented than anything. ATS has electronic elements, none really similar to EDM or Dubstep at all. Neither did LT, it was a different kind of electronic. EDM and Dubstep are not the only kind of electronic music. That's like saying Death Metal and Rock are the same. Dubstep/EDM is like the extreme version of electronic music, while Death Metal is like the extreme version of Rock. Get it? Also, the LT remixes don't mean shit. They're remixes. They are not on a main album. I don't judge bands based off of remixes. That's like saying ''I guess BMTH is dubstep, because Skrillex remixed a few of their songs for Cut-up''.

Edited by Geki

I honestly do not know what to expect from LP on the next album and it's scaring me.

Mission accomplished.

Also, I'm not trying to offend anybody, but I've been seeing something that is pissing me off lately in the LP community. People saying that EDM music isn't new to LP. Wtf? It is. Trust me.

Also, the LT remixes don't mean shit. They're remixes. They are not on a main album. I don't judge bands based off of remixes.

You can't deny that they released the LT remixes as a bonus tracks for the album pre-orders, this is basically an alternate version of the studio album. When bands release remixes as "official remix" that means they choose those artists, that means they chose the genre of the remix. So basically some of the LT remixes (Including BID remixes CD) are EDM collaborations. It can piss you off, but that's a fact, not people opinions. You don't want to judge bands based on their remixes? Fair enough, But you can't say they mean nothing.

---

In general, I think LT is a step backwards. But sometimes you need to take a step backwards to jump further.

Unless you consider like 10 remixes of BID as an alternative version of the album, thats part is pretty invalid. It was a half-ass attempt to maybe attract some DJs into the album sales. They didn't even remember to release the final remix. LT Remixes doesn't have anything to do with the direction they will take.

Agree with your statement about jumping though.

LT Remixes doesn't have anything to do with the direction they will take.

I'm not sure if you fully understand me or you're merging between two things:

What I meant is this:

LT remixes without BID remixes promo ("LT: Remixed") - are part of official release and they are EDM collaborations.

LT remixes including BID remixes promo - are EDM collaborations.

The only original studio song that LP have released with any hint of EDM is Lies Greed Misery, with the wub-wub verses.

If they think going down the EDM route is proving that they can "do anything", they're completely wrong- they'll just be branded trend followers for jumping on the bandwagon of the biggest genre in music today.

I don't know how the next Linkin Park full length will sound. To be honest, I doubt it will stray that far from the band's core sound- big rock songs with electronic (not EDM) and hip hop elements. I could of course be proven wrong, but only time will tell.

It's really too early to say anything about the next album, why are we bitching about it already? That's Somedude/Final Destiny's job.

You're god damn right it is.

BITCHING © FINAL DESTINY

EDM? More like erectile dysfunction music. Bam. Complaints over.

Yeah, it was a Korn and Chester collaboration, it was a cover of Head Like A Hole by NIN. Chester did the vocals I am pretty sure. It was supposed to be on a Korn cover album, but that album never saw the light of day, and was confirmed either last year or the year before that it will never be released. It would have been epic. Imagine Chester singing Head Like A Hole... he would have tore that shit apart, especially back in 2004/2005. I bet the vocals were sick.

Edited by Geki