Given Up: plagiarism?

WookieBastard

The other day, I was watching an old Spanish documentary on Star Wars which, to my surprise, had what I thought was a Given Up remix. I thought it was interesting to have the full version of it so I tried to track it down... but it proved impossible to find.

After some research I ended up learning that the documentary was done by Canal + (Spain) in 2006, and that the song actually was featured in a Hentai Star Wars spoof called Star Ballz (which was mentioned and shown on the documentary). That movie, was released on 2002.

Mark86 from the LPMBs got the movie and the song shows up within the first 5 minutes of the movie. And we think it might belong to a punk band from Idaho that goes by the name of "The Adversives", as noted on the credits of the film.

Here's a link to the documentary:

http://vimeo.com/2761395

from around 13:30 on, you can see a part of the movie with the song on the background.

and this is the extracted audio Mark86 did, this is the complete audio rip of the secuence where the song is playing, and you get to listen to the vocals, etc. [the weird noises and talking is just sound effects and dialogues from the movie, it's also hideously edited, but the movie itself is of very poor quality]

If the case is that this song belongs to the Adversives, the song was recorded on 1999. But even if it's not them, the problem is still that LP released Given Up on 2007 and the movie is 5 years older. They sound very much alike, and I doubt it's just a coincidence.

Edited by WookieBastard

People make songs that sound like other songs a lot...I think Shadow of the Day and Starlight by Muse are more blatantly similar than this (in parts). Those 2 songs both use the same chord progression in the same key, and are at similar tempos.

seconded

I just hate when people are like ''OMG!!! They copied this band!!!''. It's so annoying. Most of the time the bands never made it anywhere and never will, plus the song really doesn't sound like the song they are accusing, so yeah. And plus, it's LP. They can do whatever the fuck they want because they are the biggest band in the world right now.

I just hate when people are like ''OMG!!! They copied this band!!!''. It's so annoying. Most of the time the bands never made it anywhere and never will, plus the song really doesn't sound like the song they are accusing, so yeah. And plus, it's LP. They can do whatever the fuck they want because they are the biggest band in the world right now.

It's alright you don't care about this, I understand. Let's just say im not exactly an MTM-lover... and the fact that so far 3 songs out of 11, in a supposedly "new and fresh" album, resemble other songs it's just no good.

And plus, it's LP. They can do whatever the fuck they want because they are the biggest band in the world right now.

with all due respect, if this thread is stupid, that statement is even more stupid.

Copyrighted material by a band that never sold a single album is just as valid and will stand up in court just as well as copyrighted material by a band that's sold 50 million albums worldwide.

Anyone heard 'Burn Burn' by Lostprophets?

For those that haven't- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMDTOHfAJRU

Well the main riff in the song came under criticism for sounding similar to 'Far' by Mother Mary- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9GbflqCYrA

What do you think? Copied? Just similar?

One things true though, the riff in Burn Burn is 100times better and the song is awesome!!!

PS- Sorry this is a little off topic!