Slow output of work

GraDoN

So we all know LP has a slow output rate when it comes to.. well anything. Funny enough it seems that they are able to write 50+ (i can't even remember how many it was for MTM) 'ideas' and end up with +-10 on the album. Looking at other bands they are not the slowest out there for sure, but i must wonder why they have so many demo's stacked away. Looking at a guy like Spencer Krug from Wolf Parade, he releases multiple Ep's and albums every year with multiple bands and most of there are critically acclaimed . Now you can't compare him with chester or mike.

I just wonder if it's a confidence issue rather than a talent issue. I know that apart from mike there ain't that much talent in the band, but it seems like they have so many songs stacked away because they think of them as not good enough, even during the making of the latest release mike was updating and rating the songs as if to say we don't like this, but this might work. Obviously some songs won't make the cut, but with LP it seems like they take forever to hit the spot with their music and let be honest their lyrics are far from good a lot of the times.

I don't expect them to shoot out masterpiece after masterpiece year after year, but i just wonder if some of them lack the courage and confidence to just make music and put it out there instead of going through hours and days of rating and eliminating and making more and more. Mike seems to me has a better ear for music than Chester and i wonder sometimes if Chester struggles to keep up with the pace and i know writing lyrics is one hard job. He kind of exhausted the sad past themes in the first two albums and now they turn to the ever popular "save our cruel world" themes. Who am i to say they don't care or don't really want to sing about it, i just feel that they have a lot to offer and that they should experiment with lyrics like they are with their sound.

This is my opinion and so it remains. My point basically is: Do they suffer from a lack of talent or confidence when it comes to making music and writing lyrics. I am not saying their music are bad because i do love it,the new stuff just does not strike me as WOW great stuff and especially the lyrics are, to me, very one dimensional. With the old music the lyrics are still very average a lot of the times and the music are basic as they come but they managed to somehow dazzle you with it. The new stuff does not dazzle me at all and i dislike the new hard stuff so it's not a "oh they turned soft" thing it's that spark, i mean my favourite old songs are My december and She couldn't.

so it goes... -.-

Edited by GraDoN

i personnaly dissagree on all of this... i think their lyrics are uauslly always good. yeah they take a long time to put out new stuff, but i don't think it has to do with confidence or talent or anything. Mike and Chester are two talented people, and i honestly don't know what to think about the demos and them taking forever to releasing music but i don't think what you said is the reasons

I don't see what having 50+ demos has to do with them either having no confidence or just not being talented. I think that's just how they work. You know, mass produce the rough sketches and then weed out the crap. I don't believe we know enough about how they work to really know if they are not talented or anything like that based on only the number of demos they have.

On a side note, I do agree their old lyrics sucked and the new ones are cliche, but imo that doesn't make the new ones bad. I would like to see less vague lyrics in the next album though.

the thing is i would love to seie them being more transparent when they make an album, it's like an Iranian missile project. And i do think having 50 demos and only ending up with 10 usable ones tells you something about the ratio of good/crap they make, but then again THEY believe it's crap not necessarily us. Like remember Across the Line didn't make it and that was a pretty good song as cliche as it was. I just feel they need to take the demos by the balls and go with it till they make it work instead of moving on every time. As you say though we have no real idea how they operate so who knows.... i might be totally wrong

I disagree with you. Mike is not the only talented member of the band. I really hate when fans say that. Yeah Mike is super talented and probably the most creative and talented member, but he is not the ONLY talented member. Each member brings something unique and amazing to the band, that's what makes Linkin Park so awesome. Mike could never sing like Chester, for example. Chester has a very unique, amazing voice, that's loved by many people. Brad is really good at creating LP's sound and always brings interesting ideas to the table. Rob is really good at drums and I don't think anyone else in the band could ever drum like he does...he also basically created TLTGYA which is IMO, one of LP's best songs they have ever written. Joe and Phoenix also contribute a lot, it's just not shown or talked about a lot.

Anyways, I don't think it's their confidence or anything either. The band seems confident in everything they have done, from MTM and up. They make the music they want to hear, and hope the fans understand and appreciate it. ATS is living proof of that. The reason the band takes so long to release new music is because they are all perfectionists, they've all said that multiple times. They don't like to release albums if they don't feel like they did their best and it's complete. Same idea goes for random singles and EP's. They're just not that kind of band, and probably never will be.

I don't think it's talent nor confidence. LP just works differently than other bands. Take Julien-K for example, since a lot of us know about them. Their process seems to be this:

1. Create song idea.

2. Work on song for a while.

3. Once it is a rough song, with vocals and instruments, call it a demo, move on to a new song.

It seems like JK does that process with a couple songs at a time. LP's process seems to be this:

1. Create song idea.

2. Track a rough version (like "Oh No" the PoA demo)

3. Move on and start a new demo.

LP seems to kind of have a bit of a musical ADD if their process is the way it seems. Instead of doing the JK process of developing a few ideas into "full" demos, LP keeps their demos very rough, and keeps bouncing from idea to idea.

Starting with A Thousand Suns though, LP started to take on a bit more of the JK process. As Mike said on his blog, they would separate some of their demos into "batches," and then work on those couple songs extensively.

So basically, it has nothing to do with talent or creativity, they just have a different way of going about things.

And as for Mike being the creative force in LP, it is true, it does seem like he creates a lot of the demo ideas. But Chester is no slouch either. And after seeing the ATS process, Brad plays a bigger role than I had originally realized.

Edited by Xero21