Genre Branching

Mystery

Many people look at Hybrid Theory and Meteora as the masterpiece in mixing genres for Linkin Park. They mixed rock/nu-metal/hip-hop/electronica perfectly. You can say that Minutes To Midnight takes the rock/nu-metal branch from their first two albums, and the album stands alone at that, with ballads as the only new feature to the album. You can say that A Thousand Suns takes the electronica branch from their first two albums, and stands alone as that, the new features being odd structures, interludes/concepts, and foreign accents/world music.

Having this said, the only branch left is "hip-hop". Do you think their next album will follow the trend of taking a hint of their first two and include something new that they've never done before? Meaning do you think their next album will be hip-hop heavy? Or will they escape this trend and create something different?

technicalyl, there are more branches left than hiphop but i get your point and i honestly have no idea what the next album will sound like, but it will be awesome and i hope it has lots of stuff sounding like the first two albums but with a twist to them.

Also you said they fused nu-metal and hip hop, but nu metal is a mix of metal and hip hop, so the couldn't fuse nu metal and hip hop

Edited by blakebeats

Also you said they fused nu-metal and hip hop, but nu metal is a mix of metal and hip hop, so the couldn't fuse nu metal and hip hop

this.

Minutes to Midnight is the only album in my opinion that doesn't mix all the original Linkin Park styles. A Thousand Suns does, just not in a really heavy way.

this.

Minutes to Midnight is the only album in my opinion that doesn't mix all the original Linkin Park styles. A Thousand Suns does, just not in a really heavy way.

i agree. A Thousand Suns has old style elements but done if a different way which is also how i see the next album being. its stupid how some so called "old school Lp fans" never realised that ATS didn't have old elements

ATS was a fusion of styles- there was rock in there, just in a more subtle way, and there was definetely hip hop in there. The only difference between electronica on HT and ATS is that on HT it acted in a supporting role, whereas now it has moved more to the forefront.

Wow! :o You're like the first person who seem to have gotten the ATS & HT connection. I thought i was the only one who noticed the whole shift that happened with ATS being almost like HT reversed but with a new spin to keep it fresh.

Wow! :o You're like the first person who seem to have gotten the ATS & HT connection. I thought i was the only one who noticed the whole shift that happened with ATS being almost like HT reversed but with a new spin to keep it fresh.

i noticedd it too.

• 2 months later...

yes I know this post is old, but i just registerd today and felt like adding my 2cents in here haha.

Ive read some people have said that old LP's sound was a mixture of Nu-Metal and Hip-Hop...in some ways it is true, but the genre itself "Nu-Metal" is in fact a blend of Heavy Metal, Hip-Hop, Alternative Metal etc all squished into 1 sound.

The whole Nu-Metal concept was created by Korn back in the early 90's. They were a heavy band, but with Hip-Hop grooves and beats added on it, so people didnt know what genre they can place them in, so they created a new genre for them called "Nu-Metal".

Going back on topic, I think the new album (even if i disagree with this decision) will keep going with its Electronica/Alternative sound like from ATS.

yes I know this post is old, but i just registerd today and felt like adding my 2cents in here haha.

Ive read some people have said that old LP's sound was a mixture of Nu-Metal and Hip-Hop...in some ways it is true, but the genre itself "Nu-Metal" is in fact a blend of Heavy Metal, Hip-Hop, Alternative Metal etc all squished into 1 sound.

The whole Nu-Metal concept was created by Korn back in the early 90's. They were a heavy band, but with Hip-Hop grooves and beats added on it, so people didnt know what genre they can place them in, so they created a new genre for them called "Nu-Metal".

Going back on topic, I think the new album (even if i disagree with this decision) will keep going with its Electronica/Alternative sound like from ATS.

i remember an old post about this and i said the same thing you said about nu-metal. its hip hop and metal.

I think MTM was the only LP album that was more or less a 'rock' album. The other 3's genre's are 'Linkin Park'. :P

if your saying the other three are LP becuase they sound like no other genre than sure. But if your talking the albums that sound the closest i would say ht, meteora, mtm sound similar while ATS does have the backwards HT connection but i still think it sounds the most different