ATS LIVE

Annoy

So, I guess it'd be fun to have a list of things that each band member does for every song on ATS, the thing is, I don't know what they do. haha. But I guess I'll start and someone can finish what I leave with. (I'll probably make a lot of mistakes and give wrong info. haha)

The Requiem.

- I think it's just the studio version, pumped through live speakers. I may be wrong.

The Radiance.

- It's a piano transition from Numb and Jo does the scratch speech while Mile plays the piano and sings lines from The Catalyst with a vocoder effect.

Burning in the skies

-Mike & Chester on vocals, Mike plays guitar solo, brad finger picks, Joe (I dunno), Rob drums.

well, anyway, I rather someone with more understanding and knowledge give this info.

The Requiem:

Mike Shinoda - Lead vocals (album version vocals are played as well, Mike sings over the top of them w/vocoder effect from offstage)

The Radiance (original version as performed in NYC on 9/7):

Joe Hahn - Speech/video scratching

The Radiance (live version):

Mike Shinoda - Lead vocals (w/vocoder effect)/keyboards

Joe Hahn - Speech/video scratching

Burning in the Skies:

Chester Bennington - Lead and backing vocals

Mike Shinoda - Lead and backing vocals/guitar (Mike plays the guitar solo on this song)

Brad Delson - Guitar

Phoenix - Bass/backing vocals

Joe Hahn - Samples (piano parts)

Rob Bourdon - Drums (he has a tambourine mounted over his hi-hat stand that he only uses on this song too)

*Note: Some of the "ohhh" backing vocals near the end of the song are sampled, Mike/Phoenix sing over the top of them.

Empty Spaces:

Brad Delson - Megaphone (siren)

When They Come For Me:

Chester Bennington - Lead vocals/drums

Mike Shinoda - Rapping/backing vocals/keyboards/theremin (used as a filter control for the synth arpeggios during the bridge)

Brad Delson - Drums/guitar/megaphone/backing vocals

Joe Hahn - Samples/backing vocals

Rob Bourdon - Drums

*Note: The "hey hey hey" backing vocals at the end of the song are sampled, some of the guys sing over the top of them occasionally though (most often Brad and Phoenix).

Robot Boy:

N/A (hasn't been played live yet)

Jornada Del Muerto:

Chester Bennington - Vocals

Mike Shinoda - Vocals/Keyboards

Brad Delson - Guitar

Joe Hahn - Samples (probably just at the beginning, he sometimes leaves the stage shortly after the song starts)

Waiting For the End:

Mike Shinoda - Lead and backing vocals/guitar

Brad Delson - Keyboards/guitar

Rob Bourdon - Drums

*Note: The "oh-oh" backing vocals in the first two choruses are sampled (they weren't for the first few shows, it's very noticeable on the DSPs when the change took place), Mike, Joe, and Phoenix sing over the top of them though.

Blackout:

Chester Bennington - Lead and backing vocals/drums/sampled drums

Mike Shinoda - Lead vocals (on ending)/keyboards

Brad Delson - Keyboards/drums

Phoenix - Sampled bassline (he originally played it on an MPC, but starting in June 2011, he switched to playing it on his Starr Labs Z-Tar)/backing vocals

Joe Hahn - Samples

Rob Bourdon - Drums

Wretches and Kings:

Chester Bennington - Lead vocals/samples (on drum trigger pads)

Mike Shinoda - Rapping/backing vocals/samples (either with the MPC-like pads on his keyboard or on the drum trigger pads by swapping with Chester during the chorus, and occasionally the intro as well)

Brad Delson - Guitar/backing vocals

Joe Hahn - Samples/scratching/speech scratching/backing vocals

Rob Bourdon - Drums

*Note: The "hey hey hey" backing vocals are sampled, Mike, Brad, Phoenix, and Joe sing over the top of them though.

Wisdom, Justice, and Love:

Mike Shinoda - Keyboards

Iridescent:

Chester Bennington - Lead and backing vocals/guitar

Mike Shinoda - Lead and backing vocals/keyboards

Brad Delson - Guitar/backing vocals (Brad originally sang backing vocals on this song, but as of mid-2011 he usually doesn't anymore)

Rob Bourdon - Drums/tambourine (he has a drumstick in one hand and a tambourine in the other for the first part of the song, much like how he plays Bleed it Out)

*Note: The gang vocals are sampled, everybody in the band save for Rob sings over the top of them though (although the sampled vocals are generally what you hear on the DSPs, the live mics aren't turned up much at all).

Fallout:

Mike Shinoda - Lead vocals/keyboards (album version vocals are played as well, Mike sings over the top of them w/vocoder effect)

The Catalyst:

Mike Shinoda - Lead and backing vocals/keyboards

Brad Delson - Guitar/drums/keyboards/backing vocals

Joe Hahn - Samples/scratching/backing vocals

Rob Bourdon - Drums

*Note: The gang vocals are sampled, everybody in the band save for Rob sings over the top of them though.

The Messenger:

Chester Bennington - Lead vocals

Mike Shinoda - Keyboards

Brad Delson - Acoustic guitar

Rob Bourdon - Drums

Edited by Astat

So Mike plays the synth parts of Jornada Del Muerto?

Yep, the synth solo that comes in at 0:43 (on the studio version) is him. I don't think he plays anything before that, but I could be wrong.

Its kind of lame that most of the gang vocals are sampled, but it probably wouldn't sound as good with just the band singing.

I think they learned their lesson from experimenting with Hands Held High in a live setting that when they have a song with a lot of vocal layering, it's probably best to sample certain parts. Adding Joe and Brad to the mix with backing vocals (and utilizing Phoenix more often) certainly helps, but none of them are particularly strong singers, so augmenting them with the backing track works out better. If you listen to WFTE from the Berlin DSP, for example, and compare it with the same track from one of the recent Australian DSPs, the difference is like night and day when it comes to the backing vocals.

• 6 months later...

I'm normally the last guy to bump a 6-month old thread, but since the live versions of some ATS songs have evolved a bit over that timeframe, I've updated my post of all the live parts to reflect recent changes.