Knebworth Post-Show Discussion

LOL! I'm from the UK and the piss thing did make me laugh haha!!

One thing to mention though - the band didn't mess up to my knowledge :huh: and you can't really count rob doing two extra notes during POA outro as a fuck up because I daresay brad did it to wind him up...

all im saying is DBS should have been on first cose it kind of made the crowed die after lp but when lp came back on the crowed was made up and yes chester did anouce dbs was playing but alot of ppl just get tickets to festivals with out knowing bands and it just didint work and b4 this tour in september they need to do beter prmosion of the band cose ppl dont know who they are and LP did mess up a few times all the ppl round me even said so

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well it was an amazing festival, and although Linkin Park were one of the stronger bands on Saturday, that is hands down the worst I've seen them. Really didn't seem like they were all that interested, and they had one of the worst stage set ups I've seen for a festival headliner.

Musically there were few faults, but there was a real lack of the crowd interaction I've come to expect from LP. The crowd didn't respond too well either, hardly any movement or singing as far as I could see (and I was about 4 rows from the front). Didn't help that they finished around 15 minutes ahead of scheduled, too.

Also the DBS set within the encore was a complete atmosphere killer. The crowd weren't into it at all, and it just didn't seem right for a side-project to get a main stage headline crowd. If they were to play at any point in the weekend, it should've been an early afternoon slot in the tent.

I recall an interview a month or two ago, where the band were speaking about wanting to become considered as the best live band around; based on their Knebworth performance, they're far from it.

But then again, it's a UK show. Nowhere else in the world will you find people who think it's acceptable to piss in a bottle and throw it at people on stage, so logical thinking and researching the show they bought tickets for is probably too much to expect of them.

I was at this gig and can tell you that DBS didn’t go down well, people did know they were due to come on but they just killed the mood at the time, in my opinion they would have been better placed either before LP or in another time slot.

It did them no favours at all because prior to them coming on LP had the crowd in a frenzy and were kicking ass (BTW I also agree the set list was just what was needed at this type of gig although APFMH would have been nice).

As for the quoted rant above, I find it an ill-informed xenophobic piece on nonsense, I do not find it acceptable to throw piss nor do 99.9% of people in the UK, in fact it repulses me.

Not just confined to the UK either

US

It’s like saying that a country that sells guns freely and then wonders why some insane attention deprived kid decides to make the news by mowing down half his class mates, is condoned by everyone within that country? I think not.

I suggest you consider your ignorant views before pressing send in future!

And before it’s mentioned I am aware you contribute a lot to this site and it is appreciated, just not a passport to generalise.

I was at this gig and can tell you that DBS didn’t go down well, people did know they were due to come on but they just killed the mood at the time, in my opinion they would have been better placed either before LP or in another time slot.

It did them no favours at all because prior to them coming on LP had the crowd in a frenzy and were kicking ass (BTW I also agree the set list was just what was needed at this type of gig although APFMH would have been nice).

As for the quoted rant above, I find it an ill-informed xenophobic piece on nonsense, I do not find it acceptable to throw piss nor do 99.9% of people in the UK, in fact it repulses me.

Not just confined to the UK either

US

It’s like saying that a country that sells guns freely and then wonders why some insane attention deprived kid decides to make the news by mowing down half his class mates, is condoned by everyone within that country? I think not.

I suggest you consider your ignorant views before pressing send in future!

And before it’s mentioned I am aware you contribute a lot to this site and it is appreciated, just not a passport to generalise.

i agree with what you said puting dbs on then was a crowed killer

I'll not disagree that DBS should have been in Bohemia, but I really don't understand how you could have been 4 rows from the front and heard no-one singing :blink: I was ten rows back and half the time I could only just hear chester due to everyone around me singing their hearts out. Not to mention we had a pit going for 90% of the set as already mentioned so don't know where the no movement comes from - there was certainly movement where I was ;)

With all due respect, I think you are incorrect. In fact, I know you are wrong.

Session is an excellent opener. I've seen it three times going into Given Up on this tour. Two were indoors but the Stuttgart outside venue in the daylight is EXACTLY how it was performed in Knebworth, so I know exactly what I'm talking about.

Session into Given Up is quite solid my friend. It fades in and all of a sudden, BAM the instrumental kicks in and the LP banner starts going up. Everyone stares at the stage, throws their hands up and sees Joe rocking it up on Mt Hahn. Then the band comes out and rocks it with Given Up. Essentially Session is just a show intro and Given Up really opens the set song-wise. It's really good, I see nothing wrong with it at all. How the fuck is it a failure....?

NMS long intro is still in there and it gets the pits going every damn time. I'd rather have Session and Given Up open the show with the NMS long intro later in the set than have NMS long intro open the set and have no Session at all. Watch the Stuttgart videos, Session is great.

Nothing has failed. This is a very solid tour, the crowds are responding great to the band outside of the DBS stuff. LP is rocking it HARD every night. They don't talk to the crowd much but they bring the energy song after song and really get the crowd into it. I haven't seen Joe Hahn have this much energy in years - he is absolutely killing it on stage. Mike Shinoda is going fucking crazy changing the setlists during the tour, that is extremely badass. Lots and LOTS of pure energy from the band and some A plus solid performances.

New Divide starting the encore is the best song to open an encore since Crawling in 2004. The crowd goes fucking OFF for ND, Faint and OSC to close it. I am really enjoying this tour - it blows PR08 USA the fuck out of the water in terms of energy, the setlist and band performance. Totally destroys it. LP is doing really well on this tour. The whole band is hopping around like hell on stage, rocking it start to end. No longer are Brad and Joe just sitting there chilling during songs...those days are gone.

I am one of the most hardcore fans of the band and I am really really enjoying these shows. The setlists may not have the older songs in them that the fans want, but shit the shows are incredible. And obviously I am not the only one that thinks that since the reviews are great for every show I've been to.

Brilliantly said and true! You tell him. I can always trust you to give it straight without being offensive.

By the way, Mark, are you still interested in my Epicenter tickets? If you don't, i guess I'll just have to stick with it. No complaints either way although, it was a little rude not to alert me to your decision. ;)

Right. I've had enough of this

Sonisphere was a new festival which had 25K people there. It was designed to be for families, and people who don't wnat the madness (And by god it is madness) of Download

I will not have ANYONE saying the crowd wasn't into the gig. The fact that we had FOUR pits going at once, and the fact that we were pretty exhausted after seeing Tool, The Used, Anthrax, Bul;let, and the rain, yet we were still WAY up for LP... If I remember correctly, Mike once agin mentions how much hew loves us british fdans, and I agree.... We may not be the most vocal people in the world, but we fucking love our music, and always will.....

Metallica played the next night, and the 30K people there (Day tickets made sundays crowd bigger, and that was SS's choice, not the fans), and again, we were well up for it, but people were there to listen to the music, not record it to put on youtube or a torrent website. How you can enjoy a gig, when you've got a mobile phone in your hand recording a video, or holding recording devices scared of it getting knocked is beyond me. Pretty much EVERYONE I spoke to enjoyed the gig, and from where I was, in the LHS pit, we did have a fucking amazing time.

Now, you can't judge a crowd reaction unless your there in the thick of it. I'd ask anyone here who thinks I'm just sticking up for Sonisphere to ask ANYONE else who was there about their thoughts. Ask Lee, Rob, Amit, Cheryl, Simon, Bec, or anyone else. I've seen LP too many times to count without thinking now, and I would put the gig in my top 3. I also think, that when you compare the crowd, which was small only because of the logistica, and the fact that the sound was 10db lower than most festivals (People were complaining about hearing music in Stevenage, which put sound limits in place) I think you'll realise that it was well received. Add the fact there were loads of FAMILIES. Kids of 8,9,10+ for whom it may have been their first gig, let alone first festival, and in many cases, LP fans who's seeing LP for the first time, and then remember the fact that Just because someone doesn't know all the words to say HHH, doesn't make them any less of a fan. We all came together for the same reason, and enjoyed it.

I'd even go as far to say, as you can't have a go at people for not liking DBS.. Cory taylor was doing some of his own stuff and he did a set in Bohemia. In my humble opinion, DBS could have done the same. People who wanted to see DBS could have gone to see it, an dthose who didn't could have seen The Used or someone...

and mark, on your last comment.... POA outro= APFMH right???? I think having One of Sonispheres biggest wall of deaths set up for this song shows that we were NOT pitiful.......

*Breathes*

EDIT: Rob, correct: How can you comment about a show, unless YOU ARE THERE. I don't comment about the rest of the European tour, as I'm on a PC, not hot and sweaty moshing my heart out....

EDIT2: People have opinions.. Just cause YOU like something, doesn't mean the world has to. So many fans didn't know who DBS even were, but were LP fans. So in this instance, having someone do songs they didn't know WOULD confuse the atmosphere a bit. Just like if LP had played, I dunno Leave out all the rest and Shadow of the day instead of NMS and given up.....

Edited by Wil_Vincent

Right. I've had enough of this

Sonisphere was a new festival which had 25K people there. It was designed to be for families, and people who don't wnat the madness (And by god it is madness) of Download

I will not have ANYONE saying the crowd wasn't into the gig. The fact that we had FOUR pits going at once, and the fact that we were pretty exhausted after seeing Tool, The Used, Anthrax, Bul;let, and the rain, yet we were still WAY up for LP... If I remember correctly, Mike once agin mentions how much hew loves us british fdans, and I agree.... We may not be the most vocal people in the world, but we fucking love our music, and always will.....

Metallica played the next night, and the 30K people there (Day tickets made sundays crowd bigger, and that was SS's choice, not the fans), and again, we were well up for it, but people were there to listen to the music, not record it to put on youtube or a torrent website. How you can enjoy a gig, when you've got a mobile phone in your hand recording a video, or holding recording devices scared of it getting knocked is beyond me. Pretty much EVERYONE I spoke to enjoyed the gig, and from where I was, in the LHS pit, we did have a fucking amazing time.

Now, you can't judge a crowd reaction unless your there in the thick of it. I'd ask anyone here who thinks I'm just sticking up for Sonisphere to ask ANYONE else who was there about their thoughts. Ask Lee, Rob, Amit, Cheryl, Simon, Bec, or anyone else. I've seen LP too many times to count without thinking now, and I would put the gig in my top 3. I also think, that when you compare the crowd, which was small only because of the logistica, and the fact that the sound was 10db lower than most festivals (People were complaining about hearing music in Stevenage, which put sound limits in place) I think you'll realise that it was well received. Add the fact there were loads of FAMILIES. Kids of 8,9,10+ for whom it may have been their first gig, let alone first festival, and in many cases, LP fans who's seeing LP for the first time, and then remember the fact that Just because someone doesn't know all the words to say HHH, doesn't make them any less of a fan. We all came together for the same reason, and enjoyed it.

I'd even go as far to say, as you can't have a go at people for not liking DBS.. Cory taylor was doing some of his own stuff and he did a set in Bohemia. In my humble opinion, DBS could have done the same. People who wanted to see DBS could have gone to see it, an dthose who didn't could have seen The Used or someone...

and mark, on your last comment.... POA outro= APFMH right???? I think having One of Sonispheres biggest wall of deaths set up for this song shows that we were NOT pitiful.......

*Breathes*

EDIT: Rob, correct: How can you comment about a show, unless YOU ARE THERE. I don't comment about the rest of the European tour, as I'm on a PC, not hot and sweaty moshing my heart out....

2 wrong facts both days sold out on the days there was 40k there both days that came from offical sonisphere ppl and i said the crowed was diging LP but they were not likeing DBS

Edited by sian18

What are you going to believe... "Quoted figures" or figures gathered from the ORGONISER.... So many people didn't turn up.. Remember 5K+ tickets were given out as competition prizes for the weekend.... and thatsa I direct quote from Fiona,and I was quoting Mark, not you... I'm not gonna have ANYONE saying a gig was shit when they were not there....

EDIT: @ASTAT, We don't piss oin bottles and chuck them on stage normally, but we do have legendary Bottle fights...

All part of the fun.. And if you want to avoid it you can.. Like if you want to mosh you can, if not you don't...

Edited by Wil_Vincent

What are you going to believe... "Quoted figures" or figures gathered from the ORGONISER.... So many people didn't turn up.. Remember 5K+ tickets were given out as competition prizes for the weekend.... and thatsa I direct quote from Fiona,and I was quoting Mark, not you... I'm not gonna have ANYONE saying a gig was shit when they were not there....

yeah i was at the gig look at how many LP gigs i have been to and i love the band so much but i can say that it was the shitest LP gig i have been to the band was flat plus once again no talking to the crowed ppl hate that

^^^

I've been to 4 of the same gigs as you... First off, if they had to lose 20 minutes of a set to a solo project, then would you rathe rhave time spent of#n chit chat bollocks, or music.... A band IS there to play music after all. NIN didn't say a word during their set, buit they still put on a really good show IMO.. (And before you quote Tallica at me, they over ran by 20 mins, and has 15 mins more than LP). I think the Set was really good, and personally I like the way the whole weekend worked....

@Mark Where in this is DBS listed here????? THIS is the main thing people see when buying tickets.. If they wanted to put DBS on somewhere, HERE was the place to do so, like so many banmds have "special guests" under their name

Posted Image

EDIT: If people should be moaning about ANYTHINg, then it's the poor 13 who, from experience, had one of the worst M&G experiences I've ever known.. When competition winners outnumber LPUers by 2:1, and get twice as long, two words. FUCK WARNER

Edited by Wil_Vincent

I can appreciate the noise from the taper at the back of the crowd won't be the loudest, especially behind the extra speaker. At the front, where i was, the crowd noise was very very loud for most of the show. Mike said the crowd was loud if i remember. That said, DBS did kill it and left much of the crowd bemused. Some of the people we were with were about halfway to the back said everyone was enjoying the show and having a good time, if not necessarily going bat shit constantly.

Mike and Chester didn't talk too much, and the band's performance wasn't the best ever. But on the other end of the scale, James Hetfield on Metallica's day talked for ages and threw cake around for about 20 minutes. It didn't make the performance any better. And i agree with the poster above, all Trent Reznor said was 'thank you' and he put on the best show of the weekend, for me.

At the end of the day, even though this was LP's headlining day, most of the people there were Metallica fans, which probably affected not only LP but NIN as well. Everyone's there for different music- it won't be as wild as a headlining show.

This is what happened after MK- the crowd was too quiet for some fans. Who knows, maybe the Brits are getting quiet for LP :huh: . Most of the people who were there to see them had a good time, that's all that really matters.

BTW, thanks to the taper =).

Edited by RachaelLP

And i agree with the poster above, all Trent Reznor said was 'thank you' and he put on the best show of the weekend, for me.

Everyone's there for different music- it won't be as wild as a headlining show.

This is what happened after MK- the crowd was too quiet for some fans. Who knows, maybe the Brits are getting quiet for LP :huh: . Most of the people who were there to see them had a good time, that's all that really matters.

I'm Wil, Megaphone man from Sonisphere, the guy in the black trench and big boots, may also be seen in nothing more than my boxers and boots on the Guitar hero stage

I woudn't say we're quiet.. I'd say more appriciative in other ways... I think we'd do pretty well in a worldwide LPMosh, and I think also that LP has that "stigma", like Feeder on Sunday.. You shouldn't like them, but you do.. If anyone saw the feeder set, it was a mental pit, with most of us laughing ourself shitless sometimes..I. And remember Bullet had JUST finished playing, so some people had to make their way to LP, after getting water, beer, having a leak etc...I'm gonna fight LP UK Fans corner here... Fucking Cory Taylor was watching the set.... And he said he thought it was a goodun...

I can appreciate the noise from the taper at the back of the crowd won't be the loudest, especially behind the extra speaker. At the front, where i was, the crowd noise was very very loud for most of the show. Mike said the crowd was loud if i remember. That said, DBS did kill it and left much of the crowd bemused. Some of the people we were with were about halfway to the back said everyone was enjoying the show and having a good time, if not necessarily going bat shit constantly.

Mike and Chester didn't talk too much, and the band's performance wasn't the best ever. But on the other end of the scale, James Hetfield on Metallica's day talked for ages and threw cake around for about 20 minutes. It didn't make the performance any better. And i agree with the poster above, all Trent Reznor said was 'thank you' and he put on the best show of the weekend, for me.

At the end of the day, even though this was LP's headlining day, most of the people there were Metallica fans, which probably affected not only LP but NIN as well. Everyone's there for different music- it won't be as wild as a headlining show.

every one has there idea of the gig and thats cool MK was a great gig so was download 2007 but i was really disapointed with LP at sonisphere and chester shouldint come out b4 a gig and say its gonna be the best gig of there lives and they wanna take muse spot of best live band the gets the crowed expecting more than they got

Edited by sian18

I'll agree with that point... theres not DBS Street team, because wait... LPST in the US treat us like shit anyway... SS had hardly any mention of it...

http://uk.sonispherefestival.net/line-up/linkin-park/ not even a mention there... Now someone tell me how 20K fans are supposed to know DBS are gonna turn up? It was a dissapointment to many... Thery would have got a really good reception in Bohemia thou...

I'm Wil, Megaphone man from Sonisphere, the guy in the black trench and big boots, may also be seen in nothing more than my boxers and boots on the Guitar hero stage

I woudn't say we're quiet.. I'd say more appriciative in other ways... I think we'd do pretty well in a worldwide LPMosh, and I think also that LP has that "stigma", like Feeder on Sunday.. You shouldn't like them, but you do.. If anyone saw the feeder set, it was a mental pit, with most of us laughing ourself shitless sometimes..I. And remember Bullet had JUST finished playing, so some people had to make their way to LP, after getting water, beer, having a leak etc...I'm gonna fight LP UK Fans corner here... Fucking Cory Taylor was watching the set.... And he said he thought it was a goodun...

Haha, dunno if i remember you or not! I saw alot of weird things that weekend... ;)

Yeah, i was kind of taking the mick a bit there lol! My voice is only just recovering from the weekend, we can make a bit of noise to be fair. I agree with the stigma, to a lot of Metallica fans, seeing LP is like a laugh or something. To me, the crowd felt alot more intense than at MK- mostly due to the fact my feet were off the floor for 50% of the time due to the amount of people trying to get to the front.

every one has there idea of the gig and thats cool MK was a great gig so was download 2007 but i was really disapointed with LP

Sian, are you friends with Kate?!

That's sad you were disappointed with them =/ Gotta say though, everyone has to take the best live act talk with a pinch of salt. To me LP are better than Muse live in the first place, so he has no foundation for his point there :lol: .

Agreed, DBS should have DEFINETELY been on Bohemia. It would have been better for the bigger fans in a more intimate venue, and Chester could have promoted it better. Although...if they are doing a tour here in September, that could have been already classed a promotion. :rolleyes:

^^^ WHere bouts were you camped???

Yeah.. My voice is TILL fucked... and I've got a demo this weekend to goto as well lol

MK had 70K fans... Sonisphere had less, and of those there, not ALL of them went to see LP.... So many people werr eithe rpassed out or in camp youtube uploading their BFMV videos...

Sian, are you friends with Kate?!

That's sad you were disappointed with them =/ Gotta say though, everyone has to take the best live act talk with a pinch of salt. To me LP are better than Muse live in the first place, so he has no foundation for his point there :lol: .

Agreed, DBS should have DEFINETELY been on Bohemia. It would have been better for the bigger fans in a more intimate venue, and Chester could have promoted it better. Although...if they are doing a tour here in September, that could have been already classed a promotion. :rolleyes:

lol yeah im friends with kate me kate and lynne were disapointed but were hard to please i guess lol but the festival was cool and if DBS do manchester im so going see how they play at there own gig

“We’re back in the UK in September. Pity there’s not another Sonisphere then.”

Elia Andra, Dead by Sunrise

“When I was on stage I said this crowd in front of us is second to none. And I meant that.”

Benji Webbe, Skindred

Just two quotes from the site........

Mind you Benji was a fucking legend to talk to......

^^^ WHere bouts were you camped???

Yeah.. My voice is TILL fucked... and I've got a demo this weekend to goto as well lol

MK had 70K fans... Sonisphere had less, and of those there, not ALL of them went to see LP.... So many people werr eithe rpassed out or in camp youtube uploading their BFMV videos...

Family Camping! \m/ Clean portaloos = win ;]

Yeah, i keep forgetting how many people were at MK...o.O

lol yeah im friends with kate me kate and lynne were disapointed but were hard to please i guess lol but the festival was cool and if DBS do manchester im so going see how they play at there own gig

Well then i'm extra sad you were disappointed!

Yeah i'm gonna definitely try to see them at their own gig- where they aren't going to overshadowed by Linkin Park...

On a side note about Knebworth, how lax was the security? They need to get their shit organised for next year! Two of our friends managed to get backstage, and at the side of the stage while Linkin Park were on stage. <_<

Not as clean as the ones I used.. I had a choice.. Walk 5 minutes and go to REALLY bad toilets near the All day breakfast tent, or waqlk two minutes on and have a nice poo and some decent food backstage...

P.S as your a NIN fan.. I've got a spare NIN pick..... Want it?

Edited by Wil_Vincent

Well then i'm extra sad you were disappointed!

Yeah i'm gonna definitely try to see them at their own gig- where they aren't going to overshadowed by Linkin Park...

On a side note about Knebworth, how lax was the security? They need to get their shit organised for next year! Two of our friends managed to get backstage, and at the side of the stage while Linkin Park were on stage. <_<

i know wish i would have tried to get backstage now lol when we were geting shuttle bus to gig we got searched and a snifer dog there was more poilce there than the gig lol

1. I never said anything about DBS being advertised or anything Wil, lol. Check Astat's post, you meant to direct that at him - I never mentioned anything dealing with that lmao.

2. I'm just going by the audience recording. Yeah the crowd may have been great, which I am sure it was, but you can't really tell by the recording here. It sounds like the crowd isn't really into it. That's just my 3rd party opinion, but I'm not hearing the fans go nuts in this.

3. POA ending is not the APFMH outro (which is badass). I was referring to Rob continue past Brad on the song ending and then they like...did the ending again, it was weird. I like it though, pretty unique and something they have never done before.

Sounds like the crowd up front was killing it but the people in the back weren't feeling it. Or wherever this taper was, it sounds like noone around him was into the show. I was all the way back in Zurich and the crowd was rockin' so that's where my opinion comes from on this.