'Over Each Other' Out October 24

martinez

7 hours ago, GreyFox-AFCA said:

For me it sounds like a hybrid between MTM and Living Things.

THIS. I Thought the same. Like i said on the Scavenger Hunt post, i like the song, even when its the weakest of the 3 singles previous to album release (i will guess that this is the last one before album launch).

I see how TEM was like Emily introduction after Mike's intro, HITC had both equally on lyrics, and this is Emily's chance to shine.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Fleur de Lys said:

I love it actually. I was getting a bit scared reading the comments, but to my surprise it resonated with me.

First off, it does not have the melodic choices that sound very 2016-2018 that I feared for bc of John Green. Honestly, I hated a lot of the, at the time, trendy melodic choices on OML. The melody still sounds like something Mike Shinoda himself could have always written.

I knew the third song was undeniably gonna be some sort of ballad, so this one is a nice change of pace, but it still connects well with the other singles as it progresses and the band comes in.

Also, the production is distinct and kind of bold. The little repeating two note synth after every line is awesome and I like how they doubled down on the chopped up rhythm in the first chorus. It's very atmospheric and thankfully not very OML. Emily's performance is beautiful too. The only thing I don't like is the word skyscrapers... Just a little cringe and childish as a metaphor

This post probably has me the most hyped so far.

Tackles off aspects I have been a bit worried about (melody choice, production choice, how it fits with the 2 other songs).

What you wrote about the melody still sounding like a Shinoda one (VS a 2016-2018 JG flavored one), the song having an atmospheric quality, and connecting well with the other songs, is basically all I was hoping to read. Thanks for sharing! :)

Edited by Qwerty18

After sleep i listen it again with more fresh brain. Biggest issue is Bridge. Start very good with first "ohh". it is cool and then "are we over each other" and again "ohh" is so boring should be many more there. It kill a momentum.

Edited by MMM

The song is pretty meh to me. Nothing bad about it, but nothing special either. Very generic. Out of the 3 songs released so far, I'd rank this as #4.

However, the ending got me very excited for Casualty. So in an interesting way, the song has made me more excited for the album, even though I don't like it as much.

Fingers crossed for a good music video.

Am I the only one who likes everything they create?

I like the first era, Collision Course, all the demos, the Mike's Fort Minor era, the Post-Traumatic era, MTM, ATS, LT, THP, OML, Emily and Collin's new chapter, or Dead by Sunrise. Everything. I simply like their voices, guitars, rhythms, lyrics. I feel like hanging around with good friends, no matter what and how they talk about, I like being with them. Whatever they do, they make me feel at home.

3 minutes ago, juancpin said:

I like the first era, Collision Course, all the demos, the Mike's Fort Minor era, the Post-Traumatic era, MTM, ATS, LT, THP, OML, Emily and Collin's new chapter, or Dead by Sunrise. Everything. I simply like their voices, guitars, rhythms, lyrics. I feel like hanging around with good friends, no matter what and how they talk about, I like being with them. Whatever they do, they make me feel at home.

I get the same feeling but don’t like everything they have created. I skip a good bunch of songs on certain albums. 

Like what was the point of Skin To Bone other than creating cringy lines line Ashe to ashes dust to dust 💀 so there is stuff that i Intentionally skip. 

10 hours ago, nickishere12345 said:

EDIT: Also wish Brad remembered how to do literally anything else on guitar besides play octaves lol.

It's likely all the octaves parts were just written by Mike. That's often been the case, and it's even more likely this time around when Brad only came in later in the process. At that point, the band had already been working on a bunch of stuff for a while.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Brad barely contributed any guitar on the record. I can see his input being even more on the production and arrangement side of things now.

Edited by Qwerty18

8 minutes ago, juancpin said:

I skip some songs, like almost full THP album and 60% of LT. But Over Each other... as someone mentioned: 'Generic'. Especially chorus and bridge. I got a really strong AI feeling in this one.

I understand you all.

For me, music is like someone talking to you, sometimes there are certain things you don't want to listen to, but they need to tell you. Like sad songs, they make you cry and they hurt, but you listen to them, because they need to tell you that.

Over Each Other is something they are saying to me, and even though it may seem light or mellow, I listen carefully, and I find the details in it.

With LP, or Beatles, or Arctic Monkeys, I always find respect and details, and something valuable to listen to.

24 minutes ago, juancpin said:

I understand you all.

For me, music is like someone talking to you, sometimes there are certain things you don't want to listen to, but they need to tell you. Like sad songs, they make you cry and they hurt, but you listen to them, because they need to tell you that.

Over Each Other is something they are saying to me, and even though it may seem light or mellow, I listen carefully, and I find the details in it.

With LP, or Beatles, or Arctic Monkeys, I always find respect and details, and something valuable to listen to.

when it comes to this, always care more about yourself than the other people opinions. trust me, it's much better. what you like doesnt mean anyone else like. i love LP stuff and that's why they remain my number fav band in the entire life. i have tons of fav band but nothing come close like LP. people might call you "ass-licker" for liking whatever the band do but hey, it's your choice buddy. always care bout your happiness. dont let them ruin it. 

4 minutes ago, Stranger said:

when it comes to this, always care more about yourself than the other people opinions. trust me, it's much better. what you like doesnt mean anyone else like. i love LP stuff and that's why they remain my number fav band in the entire life. i have tons of fav band but nothing come close like LP. people might call you "ass-licker" for liking whatever the band do but hey, it's your choice buddy. always care bout your happiness. dont let them ruin it. 

Amen.

It's only my feeling about music or movies (or any other art) it only disgusts me when I see no effort. And with LP or Mike or I ALWAYS find effort and care. And that makes it super valuable for me.

55 minutes ago, juancpin said:

This. I have it absolutely the same.

3 hours ago, MMM said:

After sleep i listen it again with more fresh brain. Biggest issue is Bridge. Start very good with first "ohh". it is cool and then "are we over each other" and again "ohh" is so boring should be many more there. It kill a momentum.

I felt the bridge was this pause.

I can’t go to sleep

I lie awake at night

I’m so tired of talking

Over each other

So say what’s underneath

I want to see your side

We don’t have to be talking

Over each other

And it sounded so hopeful when you are troubled with someone, like "Come on, I'm listening, we don't need to fight".

3 hours ago, juancpin said:

I only dislike MTM and DBS. I love all the rest, some better than others.

3 hours ago, KeysToTheLinkinPark said:

I get the same feeling but don’t like everything they have created. I skip a good bunch of songs on certain albums. 

Like what was the point of Skin To Bone other than creating cringy lines line Ashe to ashes dust to dust 💀 so there is stuff that i Intentionally skip. 

Skin to bone is in my top 5 LP songs of all time. No joking.

4 minutes ago, -Kubo said:

Skin to bone is in my top 5 LP songs of all time. No joking.

That's me with Until it Breaks haha
Tbh the entire second half of LT (starting with Castle of Glass) is one of my favorite things they've done, and I think the first half is fun but kinda insubstantial

But see, we agree in: Some will skip some pieces and some will skip some others, but they manage to create things that, as a whole, have care, effort, and sense.

Lost in the Echo is one of my unskippables. And Blackbirds.

Regarding Over each other and the heaviness, as if it would need some, much of the LP I love is not the heavy one, so I'm really fine with it. Rock ballad about loss and grief.

14 hours ago, Rockter said:

Also can't say I'm a massive fan of the chatter at the end, at the very least I'm a bit surprised it's in the single version of the song which may or may not go into either HITC or TEM, but clearly this one was going to be a tease for Casualty, which is not getting released here.

Don't know where you get the idea that's a single version. It's album version and the same will be on Spotify, Apple Music and all DSPs. The single version will be in music video and maybe on the radio and CD single if there is one.

After a lot of listening i think the song is okay, not great but not bad. The only thing that i wish could've been better are the drums. i don't know but it feels.... off. i'm no music expert by any means but i feel the drums are the heartbeat of a song and if it's lacking in the department, the song suffers imo. For now it's my least favorite of the 3 releases. 

Edited by thor3

The song itself sounds like a modern day Miley Cyrus pop song. That's not intended to be a knock on LP or Miley, but the pop production and vocal delivery has a very noticeable Miley style to it. It sounds like it fits on One More Light if you turned the OML guitars up a tad.

Think it will take the brain a while to comprehend a "Linkin Park song" without Chester OR Mike can be the band - not something we are used to and it might take people a while on that. They needed to rip the bandaid off at some point, though.

It doesn't have much going for it but it isn't a bad song. Short, poppy, etc. Don't really like the sound of the drums but we'll have to get used to that with a new drummer. All in all, it's no worse than Battle Symphony or Lies Greed Misery, probably their two worst pre-release songs they've ever done. The song is fine but doesn't have much going for it like Emptiness Machine which is an absolute fucking monster track.

Hopefully the rest of the album is more of the "rock throwdown jam" vibe and not pop.