Meteora - (Confirmed) 13 Songs were mixed and 12 made the cut

As far as the finished songs go, I thought Lost was the only one they fully finished and mixed but didn’t make the track listing, but i’d been thinking about it lately. I believe an interview with Brad stated specifically 14 songs were mixed which would make Lost and one other. Another interview from Mike says he thinks 13 were mixed. Curious cause the only other two songs they worked on in final were Fighting Myself and More the Victim, the finalized album sound they also both have gives it away plus the red song board’s working titles, and the fact that 15 were worked on in full.

Im curious if Brad was right and if they did have 14, it means More the Victim did actually get a mixed version by Andy, even though it seems kinda unlikely. I know Mike talked about how he knew Fighting Myself wasn’t completely finished, but I don’t recall him ever clearly stating More the Victim had been abandoned during the recording session. Do correct me if i’m wrong maybe it was stated somewhere. Mike did refer to More the Victim as a demo still, but it is a little less finished than Lost, lyrically I think so it makes sense.

Either way, If it does exist that would be pretty cool to hear and maybe we’ll get to hear it at some point but if not maybe Brad just was thinking how the album has 13 tracks, and adding one more in that moment of that interview. I know Mike did say Fighting Myself never got a finished mix/mastered version at the time of the album.

and btw I definitely think the new mixes were the right thing to do to properly present them all in a more modern way. That being said, I do prefer the original mix of Lost over the modern mix, just because of the nostalgia factor, but the new mix felt like a 2023 memory of an old experience, almost kinda like a flashback which is really cool.

Edited by IWillWalkAway

• IWillWalkAway changed the title to Meteora - possibly 14 songs got mixed with 12 making the cut

Mike: "chester and i are working on our 11th song today (out of 15). there will be 12 tracks on the album."

Chester: "We recorded 15 tracks total and there's 12 on the record."

Meteora:

2. Don't Stay
3. Somewhere I Belong
4. Lying From You
5. Hit The Floor
6. Easier To Run
7. Faint
8. Figure.09
9. Breaking The Habit
10. From The Inside
11. Nobody's Listening
12. Session
13. Numb

Lost Demos:
1. Lost
2. Fighting Myself
3. More The Victim

Song board:
1. Cumulus (More The Victim)
2. Interrogation (Easier To Run)
3. Cuidado (Lying From You)
5. Pretty Birdie (Somewhere I Belong)
6. Shifter (From The Inside)
7. Shortcut (Fighting Myself)
8. Nocturnal (Nobody's Listening)
9. Session
10. Resolution (Lost)
11. Faint
12. Sick (Don't Stay)
13. Plaster II (Figure.09)
14. Husky (Hit The Floor)
15. Drawing (Breaking The Habit)
16. Figure.09

Adds up. Fighting Myself didn’t get a finished mix in 2002, as confirmed by Mike. More the Victim I don’t think we know whether it was put aside and didn’t get mixed or if Andy did mix it with the others back at that time. All we know is that the version out is “the farthest we got with it” as Mike says.

The idea given seems like Lost was the only mixed and finalized unreleased track from the album session, but that’s never been clearly stated.

Either way, they only had a max of 15 songs they could have finished and mixed. All i’m saying is a 2002 finished mix of More the Victim might have existed, which if it did that would be awesome to hear. If it does exist i’m sure they’ll put it out at some point for the close fans. Logically, I think probably it would make more sense it didn’t get mixed back in 2002 though.

Edited by IWillWalkAway

45 minutes ago, HFL377 said:

Foreword isn't a song that would be mixed on its own.

Read the CD credits, you will find out who mixed it.

And yeah not that much layers in that one but adding the effects is also part of the mixing, which was done by Andy.

On 1/10/2024 at 4:05 PM, martinez said:

Read the CD credits, you will find out who mixed it.

And yeah not that much layers in that one but adding the effects is also part of the mixing, which was done by Andy.

Yeah but it wouldn't have been mixed during finals in December 2002, with everything else because It was made two months later. Brad said 14 songs in an interview so it could mean either way really, I guess, but we'll know if we do get a 2002 mix of More the Victim or not.

EDIT: It wasn’t? made two months later, no idea where the idea came from but I must’ve been tripping

Edited by IWillWalkAway

I would have assumed MTV got a final mix in 2002, but the only doubt I have is the quote from Mike that says they tried to revive it later on. Makes me think maybe they tucked it away assuming more work would be done on it. Either way, there's nothing about the song that sounds unfinished to me at all, and with the "15 tracks" quote, it seems completely plausible. I'd love to hear that because MTV has slowly become one of my fav LP tracks ever.

4 hours ago, Astat said:

There were only 13 songs left when the band entered mixing, per a studio update from Mike in December of 2002.

"we also cut the number of songs down to thirteen, and we'll be cutting one more, i think."

The one that got cut was Lost.

Wow! I've never seen that studio report before. That confirmed it definitely though. 13 finished mixed and mastered songs and 12 made the album.

Also, I'm sure the Andy mix of Lost will eventually be officially released like on streaming services and all, at some point, maybe it'll even be as a bonus track on the album there too, but we'll have to wait a few years for that probably. Right now there's not reason to, since it's available exclusively on the deluxe CD right now.

Edited by IWillWalkAway

• IWillWalkAway changed the title to Meteora - (Confirmed) 13 Songs were mixed and 12 made the cut