Old Grey Daze records (fake/new)

daystomidnight

Hello! I actually have two different questions on this one, so I'll split them into two posts or topics.

The first question is: how can I know if the old Grey Daze CD is legit? It will mostly be about '...No Sun Today' album because there isn't much info about their first album. I know there's been a discussion about that in 2010 and also LPCatalog and Discogs have the data which could help identify it. But the the problem is I recently started to dive into that topic and some of the data I found is kind of controversial. Firstly, there was this Sean Dowdell's post on Facebook where he stated in comments that there was no Re-issued version of '...No Sun Today' in 2001. But he also didn't seem to disagree on this interview when the Re-issued versions were mentioned:

2022-01-26-19-06-05.png

Okay, I know there are reasons not to trust his every single word and maybe this is not as important. But there's the second point: on Discogs there are four listed versions of '...No Sun Today' and the unofficial ones look (in the photos) exactly like the original re-issued one. Even their IDs are the same.

2022-01-26-19-13-48.png

Link to Discogs

AND the final point is that the versions of the 1997 album look different on Discogs and LPCatalog. Okay, I can assume that Discogs doesn't provide the right information. But still, how do I tell a copy of the CD from a legit one? I'm pretty confused about all this because even reliable sources of information seem to be lying and yeah. Thanks for any help.

Edited by daystomidnight
link added

1 hour ago, DIE4U92 said:

Ask the band, they reply on IG/FB 

They don't know shit. Sean reported several genuine copies of their old CDs as fake during the promotion for Amends which pissed off fans even more. lol

1 hour ago, daystomidnight said:

Okay, I know there are reasons not to trust his every single word and maybe this is not as important. But there's the second point: on Discogs there are four listed versions of '...No Sun Today' and the unofficial ones look (in the photos) exactly like the original re-issued one. Even their IDs are the same.

What happened in 2001 was that a limited amount of copies of the Grey Daze albums were sold in a store I don't really remember the name to take advantage of Chester's (at the time) recent success with Linkin Park. I think LPAssociation might have a news post about it. Could be just leftovers from the 90s, I'm not really sure. The guys from LPCatalog probably know better.

In 2010 Mace created homemade copies of the original ...No Sun Today CD, signed them and sold on eBay to make some extra cash. So that's the "2010 reissue." Apparently Sean never knew about this until it was brought up by fans during the promotion of Amends.

But the the problem is I recently started to dive into that topic and some of the data I found is kind of controversial. Firstly, there was this Sean Dowdell's post on Facebook where he stated in comments that there was no Re-issued version of '...No Sun Today' in 2001. But he also didn't seem to disagree on this interview when the Re-issued versions were mentioned:

The "attempts to re-release No Sun Today" was an actual remaster/re-mix/re-recording of the album that Sean worked on for their 2002 reunion when they needed to raise money for Bobby Benish's treatment. The audio is completely different from the original. Warner blocked the release several times and it never came out. LPAssociation posted 10 tracks from this version in 2007 before Warner blocked the release once again. The demo of B12 that Grey Daze released recently is actually taken from this version of the album.

But still, how do I tell a copy of the CD from a legit one?

Try to reach out to LPCatalog about this. Serg might be able to help you.

https://lpcatalog.com/info/contacts

25 minutes ago, lpliveusername said:

They don't know shit. Sean reported several genuine copies of their old CDs as fake during the promotion for Amends which pissed off fans even more. lol

What happened in 2001 was that a limited amount of copies of the Grey Daze albums were sold in a store I don't really remember the name to take advantage of Chester's (at the time) recent success with Linkin Park. I think LPAssociation might have a news post about it. Could be just leftovers from the 90s, I'm not really sure. The guys from LPCatalog probably know better.

In 2010 Mace created homemade copies of the original ...No Sun Today CD, signed them and sold on eBay to make some extra cash. So that's the "2010 reissue." Apparently Sean never knew about this until it was brought up by fans during the promotion of Amends.

The "attempts to re-release No Sun Today" was an actual remaster/re-mix/re-recording of the album that Sean worked on for their 2002 reunion when they needed to raise money for Bobby Benish's treatment. The audio is completely different from the original. Warner blocked the release several times and it never came out. LPAssociation posted 10 tracks from this version in 2007 before Warner blocked the release once again. The demo of B12 that Grey Daze released recently is actually taken from this version of the album.

K. Fine 

1 hour ago, lpliveusername said:

There's another thing that the 1997 album and the 2001 Re-issue on LPCatalog look really different (diff colors, different letters on another side of the CD). So I don't think they are leftovers from the 90s but what are they then?.. Anyway, thank you for your answer, it really cleared some things up!

On 1/26/2022 at 6:14 PM, lpliveusername said:

Not sure how I missed the LPA 2007 release as i was active way before that. Did LPA actually release them for a few hours or was it blocked shortly before release ? 

If so i wonder if there are copies floating around

19 minutes ago, Subs said:

Not sure how I missed the LPA 2007 release as i was active way before that. Did LPA actually release them for a few hours or was it blocked shortly before release ? 

If so i wonder if there are copies floating around

I remember it was up for some time (maybe even a few weeks). They posted 9 tracks in m4a format at first and said the rest would be coming later. Then they posted Anything, Anything in mp3 and after that the tracks stopped coming and they said the release was cancelled again. A couple of years ago we heard from LPAssociation they actually received the entire album from Sean but unfortunately they lost it.

Funny enough we had the 10 tracks released by LPAssociation in our channel for years (Sean even commented on it at one point) before the band decided to manually block it amidst the promotion of Amends. You'll still find the tracks on YouTube though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnHmc9cu-aM&list=PLrjBIlcbhIXIhc7UMSlEnj1fUzSVLSK7R

1 hour ago, LPLStaff said:

Shit like that is one of ten thousand reasons the band gives people to be pissed off at them. Literally no reason to block alternative versions of songs when those aren't even the ones being released.

it's their call man, same situation when Mike got really pissed when What Are You Worth was leaked

• 1 year later...
On 1/27/2022 at 8:04 PM, lpliveusername said:

I remember it was up for some time (maybe even a few weeks). They posted 9 tracks in m4a format at first and said the rest would be coming later. Then they posted Anything, Anything in mp3 and after that the tracks stopped coming and they said the release was cancelled again. A couple of years ago we heard from LPAssociation they actually received the entire album from Sean but unfortunately they lost it.

Funny enough we had the 10 tracks released by LPAssociation in our channel for years (Sean even commented on it at one point) before the band decided to manually block it amidst the promotion of Amends. You'll still find the tracks on YouTube though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnHmc9cu-aM&list=PLrjBIlcbhIXIhc7UMSlEnj1fUzSVLSK7R

Hey! New here, and I realize this is an old topic, but that's my upload of those remixed tracks! I'm glad my YouTube channel "Ryan Jordan" can spread those versions of the Grey Daze songs even if I prefer the original mixes (and that the band hasn't tried getting them taken down yet, haha).

One other thing I noticed about the remixed version of B12 released as "B12_demo.1997.aiff" released onto streaming and the Japanese CD for The Phoenix is entirely lossy, and looks like it was pulled from the leak itself when I compare them with spectogram, not touched up or anything. So I'm wondering if the band themselves even has a master copy of that version anymore or if the leaked MP3s are all they have.

Spoiler

01_B12.mp3.pngGrey_Daze_-_B12_demo.1997.aiff.flac.png

First picture from original leak, second is a FLAC file I purchased from Qobuz.

Similarly, although I don't know how this would even happen, the hidden track version of The Down Syndrome released onto Amends Stripped is also lossy sourced, despite easily being able to pull from an original CD copy. That one just seems lazy to me. I'm a really big fan of Grey Daze but things like these are just confusing to me. I pre-ordered the Wake Me & No Sun Today reissues and I'll be sure to look at those files too.

(If I'm extremely late to finding this out please let me know or redirect me to a better spot for it. I love GD but it's very difficult to find places to talk about them outside of their official Discord)

• 1 month later...
On 2/13/2023 at 12:49 AM, BradyArgo said:

Hey! New here, and I realize this is an old topic, but that's my upload of those remixed tracks! I'm glad my YouTube channel "Ryan Jordan" can spread those versions of the Grey Daze songs even if I prefer the original mixes (and that the band hasn't tried getting them taken down yet, haha).

One other thing I noticed about the remixed version of B12 released as "B12_demo.1997.aiff" released onto streaming and the Japanese CD for The Phoenix is entirely lossy, and looks like it was pulled from the leak itself when I compare them with spectogram, not touched up or anything. So I'm wondering if the band themselves even has a master copy of that version anymore or if the leaked MP3s are all they have.

Reveal hidden contents

01_B12.mp3.pngGrey_Daze_-_B12_demo.1997.aiff.flac.png

First picture from original leak, second is a FLAC file I purchased from Qobuz.

Similarly, although I don't know how this would even happen, the hidden track version of The Down Syndrome released onto Amends Stripped is also lossy sourced, despite easily being able to pull from an original CD copy. That one just seems lazy to me. I'm a really big fan of Grey Daze but things like these are just confusing to me. I pre-ordered the Wake Me & No Sun Today reissues and I'll be sure to look at those files too.

(If I'm extremely late to finding this out please let me know or redirect me to a better spot for it. I love GD but it's very difficult to find places to talk about them outside of their official Discord)

Is there any chance this version of the album will ever surface?

On 3/14/2023 at 1:10 PM, PartOfMe said:

Is there any chance this version of the album will ever surface?

I guess it just did! Well, it's the version that's out on Spotify now, apart from Sickness, Just Like Heroin, and The Down Syndrome which are the original versions. Not sure what's up with those.

• 2 weeks later...