Mike Interview with MIX Malaysia

LPLStaff

it's kinda ridiculous how many people in this thread are up in arms about Mike telling fans that he is making a smart business decision lol

I get where you're coming from; I wouldn't want him to make an album if wasn't feeling up to it. But that's not the case here.Like Coizu said, PT was the same thing. Mike's constantly working on music and I'm sure had many more songs than the original three PT songs ready to go when he released them. It's not a matter of him making new, uninspired music just because people want him to. THE MUSIC IS THERE ALREADY, perhaps as a beat or as a demo piece or even fully completed at this point. The music industry is different now than it was even when Post Traumatic came out. If you do not have the momentum to release an album, then simply don't. Just release all the tracks as singles once every two or so months.

The fact of the matter is Mike Shinoda as an artist doesn't have the same effect as Linkin Park does. Mike needs to ensure there is the demand based of fan response to the singles he releases, and then he and his team will see what the best thing to do from there is. If you really think he's only going to make album songs once he sees there's a demand for it, you really don't know how this guy operates at all.

11 hours ago, Coizu said:

I personally don't want an album for the sake of an album. I want an album if and when he thinks that he has some really good stuff (which he eventually will have, no doubt) and he wants the world to hear it. Otherwise I can't be excited about it.

That's exactly where I stand with this quote. I would be much more sympathetic to this idea if it was one of the smaller bands or artists I listen to. But this is coming from a literal millionaire. He's set for life. I understand that at his level, releasing an album on a major label has some strings attached: budget, promotion, tours, merch, videos, etc. etc. But damn man, you can't just toss the fans a bone like you did with Dropped Frames and just kinda throw something out there for the heck of it if the inspiration struck you? For someone who prides himself on trying to think outside of the music industry norms and be on the cutting edge of art, this position just comes across as weak. If the inspiration and desire to release an album of your own accord isn't there, then just don't do it. It's something I personally wouldn't be interested in anyway. 

Edit: this argument is based solely on the concept of releasing an album. If he want's to just release singles that's an entirely different thing that I feel differently about. I would welcome that approach. Truth is, albums are kinda dead right now for all except the mega stars at this point. With music streaming, different forms of entertainment available on demand competing for people's attention, churning out albums doesn't even make sense anymore unless it's a conscious artistic decision.  

Edited by Hybrid1988

My problem is that if he releases an album in the mood/style of Happy Endings (and even Open Door) my interest is like super super low, and that’s sad. I mean I’m not comparing him to LP it would be very wrong to do it, but new Mike doesn’t excite me as it should (and as I hope it would). I mean I see some of you being excited for the jams and even Happy Endings and I totally lost track with that feeling. So that’s why I wish Mike would go “fuck I want to go full experimental even if this sells 5000 copies”. 

1 hour ago, PurpleFlinstoneVitamins92 said:

My problem is that if he releases an album in the mood/style of Happy Endings (and even Open Door) my interest is like super super low, and that’s sad. I mean I’m not comparing him to LP it would be very wrong to do it, but new Mike doesn’t excite me as it should (and as I hope it would). I mean I see some of you being excited for the jams and even Happy Endings and I totally lost track with that feeling. So that’s why I wish Mike would go “fuck I want to go full experimental even if this sells 5000 copies”. 

I have to agree with you on that. I love the experimental insane vibes.

Edited by Bambitt

9 hours ago, PurpleFlinstoneVitamins92 said:

Problem is Mike experimentation goes on the HE way, instead of ATS experimental, to say one example.

Mike solo does not have the strenght that LP has, and he can not release things for the sake of pleasing fans due to label restrictions. Therefore, i think its quite obvious hes gonna put out stuff only if there is demand (as there was for PT)

17 minutes ago, Cesar656 said:

Problem is Mike experimentation goes on the HE way, instead of ATS experimental, to say one example.

Mike solo does not have the strenght that LP has, and he can not release things for the sake of pleasing fans due to label restrictions. Therefore, i think its quite obvious hes gonna put out stuff only if there is demand (as there was for PT)

Totally agree on this, absolutely makes sense. I mean I totally get the fact that he basically hasn’t got the “strength” to put out whatever he wants with the risk of it being a super super niche release. PT was a totally different thing IMO because he would have put it out no matter what, despite me being not big on the album I recognize he needed to put it out for himself first as a  part of his grieving process.