Mike Q&A Summary 7/22 & 7/23/2020

LPLStaff

21 hours ago, Justin said:

I'm still not the biggest fan of the Alanis Morissette portion of the show, though. I skip those 2 songs when I watch it.

Every lp fan i know skips her part. Shocking performance.

What was she even doing there? which band member is she close with? because she didnt really pay respect in my opinion, she came to do her own promo.

Damn even non lp fans when i put hb in the car ask me who is that bad singer on COG

30 minutes ago, Cesar656 said:

Every lp fan i know skips her part. Shocking performance.

What was she even doing there? which band member is she close with? because she didnt really pay respect in my opinion, she came to do her own promo.

Damn even non lp fans when i put hb in the car ask me who is that bad singer on COG

She's a legendary artist, Mike was so proud of having her. 

Would be a cool story to know how she got the invitation for the tribute show. #ShinodaBucks

Respect Alanis.

2 hours ago, JZLP-AmendsUltimateFan said:

She's a legendary artist, Mike was so proud of having her. 

Would be a cool story to know how she got the invitation for the tribute show. #ShinodaBucks

Respect Alanis.

I for sure respect her and I like some of her older music, but it just felt odd. She felt the most out of place, and it was strange when LP completely gave her the stage to perform one of her own songs, even though she dedicated it to Chester.

That actually would be an interesting question to ask. I was thinking of asking, more in general, how they decided which artists would perform on which songs. We do know that Deryck from Sum 41 was suggested by Frank Zummo specifically for The Catalyst, which wasn't even on the originally planned setlist.

Then, there seems to be songs that LP didn't want anyone else to touch, such as Numb, ITE, ND, and BTH. I've always wondered why they preserved ITE, Numb, and ND, but WID for example they were cool with Blink-182 not only performing, but changing up significantly during the performance. WID is just as significant to LP's career as the other songs.

As for BTH, Mike has already pretty much directly said it will never be played live again.

Edited by Justin

5 hours ago, Justin said:

I for sure respect her and I like some of her older music, but it just felt odd. She felt the most out of place, and it was strange when LP completely gave her the stage to perform one of her own songs, even though she dedicated it to Chester.

That actually would be an interesting question to ask. I was thinking of asking, more in general, how they decided which artists would perform on which songs. We do know that Deryck from Sum 41 was suggested by Frank Zummo specifically for The Catalyst, which wasn't even on the originally planned setlist.

Then, there seems to be songs that LP didn't want anyone else to touch, such as Numb, ITE, ND, and BTH. I've always wondered why they preserved ITE, Numb, and ND, but WID for example they were cool with Blink-182 not only performing, but changing up significantly during the performance. WID is just as significant to LP's career as the other songs.

As for BTH, Mike has already pretty much directly said it will never be played live again.

I suspect that the WID collab performance might have been something they were planning for the Blinkin Park co-headlining shows.

Since we are talking about HB...

I missed some more iconic guest artists. I know the intent was to have "Chester's friends" there, but it would be way more memorable with a few more epic people on the stage... because Chester is one of those epic iconic rock stars and deserves to be remembered that way.

It's really sad that Corey Taylor couldn't be there... or Jay-z... and many of those guys that Chaz played with on Camp Freddy or Kings of Chaos.

I cried a lot watching, and it really was sentimental, but anyway to me it felt "small" compared to how significant Chester is.

You're forgetting the videos they had done by Bono from U2, Paul McCartney, and Metallica. That's absolutely massive, and 3 of the largest acts on the entire planet and in music history. Huge.

Shame about Corey Taylor. He was in Mexico at Knotfest or whatever I think, or a festival... Jonathan Davis was there too but made it to the Bowl and flew back ASAP, I think he even left DURING the show right after OSC to go back. Would have loved to have seen Corey and Jared Leto but that's just how it is, not everyone could make it.

Papa Roach was on tour in Europe. They told their management they were going to cancel several shows to fly to LA and see the show and then go back to Europe to continue the tour. Their management would not let them cancel the shows in Europe. So stuff like that happens too.

What's more important is the many musical tributes. LP did the best they could with guests. Jay-Z played Numb/Encore talking about Chester his ENTIRE tour after that. Corey has given several press interviews about Chester and Chris Cornell, etc.

6 hours ago, LPLStaff said:

You're forgetting the videos they had done by Bono from U2, Paul McCartney, and Metallica. That's absolutely massive, and 3 of the largest acts on the entire planet and in music history. Huge.

I know I'll sound like a nerd for this, but it still blows my mind that LP collaborated with Paul McCartney. One of the best songwriters in all of history who, along with the other Beatles, changed the course of music forever. He sung Yesterday on stage with Chester, over an LP beat as Mike played keyboard. That is still one of the coolest moments in LP history for me.

Corey was deeply affected by Chester's passing and has talked about it at length in interviews, including answering a frankly insensitive question about it from Larry King by totally remaining cool and professional. He's also been GREAT about raising awareness for mental health issues and opening up about his own struggles. Corey is a great person.

Unpopular and probably controversial opinion :

Chris Cornell had better guests at his tribute show.

Too bad that they didn't release anything of it. 

Man i fucking need Corey fronting LP for several months as a guest vocalist... 

HB show is so fucking epic, i remember that i bought a bottle of whiskey for myself it was my emotional funeral for Chester, probably the most interesting LP show ever so many show notes. 

I wonder if someone would like to do fix the volume problem of the youtube rip. 

I remember loving the show, but feeling uneasy because I knew OML would most likely be played at some point. I just didn't know when.

I think that may be part of why the band got more loose and seemed to have more fun after they had gotten through OML and LFAA. Two super emotional songs in a row. I remember Mike saying "Shake that shit off!" as soon as the beat dropped for WFTE. 

11 hours ago, Justin said:

I remember loving the show, but feeling uneasy because I knew OML would most likely be played at some point. I just didn't know when.

I think that may be part of why the band got more loose and seemed to have more fun after they had gotten through OML and LFAA. Two super emotional songs in a row. I remember Mike saying "Shake that shit off!" as soon as the beat dropped for WFTE. 

Yeah agree on this, but I have to admit that It’s been a while since I played something off that show because i feel uncomfortable watching it, especially the beginning with them as a 5 piece and stuff like Numb, ITE, ND and OML... It’s a great tribute show but it’s not something I frequently watch, but we know that grief and related feelings are very personal. I know fans who could watch the Bowl and be ok for the entire show and fans who fall apart crying if they hear a random LP song on the radio, even the “happyer” ones, so...😊