Mike Q&A Summary 6/22/2020

LPLStaff

Mike's first Q&A of the week. Not much, but here's the highlights.

He's going to make a low budget jam with only Garage Band and free sounds.

"Is there a chance you can play Believe Me at future shows?" -> "I could, yeah. The thing I felt about that one, was the verses on Believe Me were all tied together conceptually. I want to do solo-solo shows, not all alone, but I want to do them like... it's my vision and my show. I didn't want to bring out Styles of Beyond or anybody else. I didn't want anybody else doing their vocals if I didn't have to. It's mostly about that. I can't just do my verses and then do the choruses, that's weird. I didn't know how to do that very well and have it presentable. I could rap their parts, but I thought that was... I don't know."

- "Is it true when Chester was auditioning for the band, there was a guy who heard him and said, "If you guys don't pick him, they're idiots" and left? -> "Kind of that. That's kind of how it happened. I think Chester finished and he walked out and there was another guy who was leaving, who decided to just leave. And I think he talked to the guy. And the guy was like "Ah no, I'm not trying out for this, that's just stupid. If they don't pick you, they're idiots." I think that would be anybody's reaction. That's how I think that happened because obviously he didn't come in the room and say it to me."

39 minutes ago, Hybrid1988 said:

Wonder what happened with SOB. I’m guessing machine shop drama? That’s gotta be the bands biggest failure isn’t it?

Yes, the delay of Reseda Beach, Mike taking Ryu verse out of Welcome, and a couple of other things that i can't remember right now.

There was a thread like a month ago when people discuss this in full but i can't remember it, maybe JZ or Hahninator can help me with that

I wouldn't say it was a failure by LP when it was the label (WBR) that wouldn't put the adequate marketing and money into it to get these projects released. The talent was there, which means Mike and Brad did a great job with finding the artists.

I remember SOB having an issue with the label. If I remember correctly, Ryu made it known that he felt kind of abandoned by Mike, because Mike was off on tour with LP during the whole dispute and therefore didn’t get involved on SOB’s behalf.

Edited by Justin

43 minutes ago, hahninator said:

I wouldn't say it was a failure by LP when it was the label (WBR) that wouldn't put the adequate marketing and money into it to get these projects released. The talent was there, which means Mike and Brad did a great job with finding the artists.

Good point. Poor choice of words to say it was the band’s failure.