Five Years Ago - Download Festival 2014

LPLStaff

Time really flies... it has now been five full years since Linkin Park's iconic show at Download Festival 2014.

The band performed Hybrid Theory for the first and only time ever in full, in order. Despite playing all of the songs at at least one show in Europe 2001, they had never performed it start-to-finish. The Download show was massive, and the Hybrid Theory portion of the show was released as a bonus for preordering The Hunting Party from Linkin Park's website. The band said that they were considering a small club tour for the album, but decided to do it just once at Download instead. 

Looking back, what do you think about the show?

One hell of an epic thing this was. I remember when the news broke in late 2013 that they would be doing this and I was chilling with my best friend at the time  who was just as big of a fan of the band as I was and we were both saying how we wished we could go.

Was definitely an epic show. Random as hell (no bands do a show for the 14th anniversary, it’s usually like 10 or 15 or 20).  But it was good. Didn’t love the official release (wish they gave us the whole show like Moscow 2011 style). The bootleg is great. 2014 was a good year for the band (while 2015 wasn’t, IMO). Makes more sense anyways though because THP came out in 2014 not 2015.

Pretty much every show from after Ozzfest up until the end of PR02 featured the entire album (minus CFTI in full) but this was something different. Was cool they played it in order. Was nice to hear By Myself and Forgotten after so long.

Edited by GarretLP

I feel like this was super hyped before it happened and then once it happened, it was kind of underwhelming. Maybe it was because this was a one off thing and not a whole "HT in full" tour, but I feel like once it happened, everyone kind of just went "oh alright".

4 minutes ago, SasstielExperience said:

I feel like this was super hyped before it happened and then once it happened, it was kind of underwhelming. Maybe it was because this was a one off thing and not a whole "HT in full" tour, but I feel like once it happened, everyone kind of just went "oh alright".

I agree 100%. Even personally, like I said, I remember being super excited about it when it was announced. By the time that it happened, I didn't even really care about it that much anymore. And that after it I basically forgot about it. Like you said, being a one off show, and the band played like 10 songs after the HT songs were done, too. And THP was literally released the same week so that was way more exciting. I mean I bet it was cool if you were at the show front row or something but yeah.

I'd like a vinyl release of this show, please :)

Honestly I think I've listened to this at least 500 times since it came out. The HT Download set was/is my gym soundtrack and I still listen to it at least once a week. The mixing and performances are amazing, even if it's "heavily edited" as the LPL notes imply. I'm still stumped as to why LP gave this set such little attention, only releasing it as the pre-order bonus for THP.

On 6/19/2019 at 8:48 AM, erichoholic2k1 said:

I'd like a vinyl release of this show, please :)

Honestly I think I've listened to this at least 500 times since it came out. The HT Download set was/is my gym soundtrack and I still listen to it at least once a week. The mixing and performances are amazing, even if it's "heavily edited" as the LPL notes imply. I'm still stumped as to why LP gave this set such little attention, only releasing it as the pre-order bonus for THP.

THP, a main album, just came out. So of course they would want to focus more on promoting that and touring it, etc.

Edited by GarretLP