Podcast w/ LP Art Collaborator Frank Maddocks

LPLStaff

Frank Maddocks, who has been collaborating on art with Linkin Park since Hybrid Theory, is featured in a lengthy, detailed new podcast . The Undercovers Podcast can be found on both iTunes and Spotify and is a recommended listen for any of fan of LP.

VP of Creative Services at Warner Bros. Frank says he grew up very interested in art and drew a lot, before going to college for art design. Freelancing after college, he spent time at Warner Bros helping with art before he was offered a job.

After describing how he got a job in art, he goes right into his work with Linkin Park. Frank says that he first became involved with Deftones with White Pony, saying that members of Linkin Park noticed that and wanted to work with him before Hybrid Theory came out. From Frank's experience, he said that the label understood that Linkin Park was a very smart band, and the album was very good, coming out at the right time as well. The art department at WBR decided to put a five man team together to make a big presentation to the band based on the words "Hybrid Theory" because at the time, that was actually the name of the band.

Mike and Joe brought a lot of references and artwork to the meetings, vibing with Frank from the beginning as it fostered a great working relationship. Frank goes on to talk about mashing up the hard and soft sounds, so they wanted to do that with the artwork too.

And that's your preview - Frank talks for 30 minutes or so about Linkin Park, talking all about each album he has worked on, and much more. Funny stories are told about the band's career, like when in Pittsburgh opening for another band touring on the Hybrid Theory album, Mike and other members of the band had to borrow some of Frank's clothes for a pre-show photoshoot. And these photos made it onto the album! Or how Warner Bros didn't want the band to go shoot at the Salton Sea because of how big of a band they were.

Definitely check this out!

Great stuff about Salton Sea. Frank basically says WBR didn't want LP to go there because they are such a huge band and they'd stand out so much immediately. But Frank really pushed them and LP did too... and it turned out great. Cool comments by Frank on it too... "I think the fans wanted to SEE the band, but the silhouettes capture that so perfectly."

Saying the label didn't "get" ATS and its imagery... classic haha. I don't mean any of this as a criticism of WBR or anything, they are great.

10 minutes ago, Hahninator said:

I don't mean any of this as a criticism of WBR or anything, they are great.

Actually WR (Warner Records) from now, WBR doesn't exist anymore.

Edited by martinez

On 6/6/2019 at 7:28 PM, Hahninator said:

Great stuff about Salton Sea. Frank basically says WBR didn't want LP to go there because they are such a huge band and they'd stand out so much immediately. But Frank really pushed them and LP did too... and it turned out great. Cool comments by Frank on it too... "I think the fans wanted to SEE the band, but the silhouettes capture that so perfectly."

Saying the label didn't "get" ATS and its imagery... classic haha. I don't mean any of this as a criticism of WBR or anything, they are great.

I will never understand your love for Warner. 

17 hours ago, GarretLP said:

I will never understand your love for Warner. 

WBR allows the band creative freedom and monetary funding to do about 99% of what they want as a band. Best label in the world to be on in terms of marketing, funding for that, tour promotion, etc.