2018.10.19 - Tampa, Florida

RogueSoul

We're not even close to being halfway done with this tour, and we can confidently say it's not losing steam whatsoever. Mike Shinoda is taking the next stop of the Outbreak Tour leg of the Post Traumatic Tour to Florida, the first stop in the state being in Tampa!

Mike's most recent show was one of the most unpredictable we've had since the beginning of the tour. Mike changed up just about everything about the set in Charlotte, from the opener to the encore. After opening the encore with this combo for the last few shows, Mike moved 'Robot Boy' and 'World's On Fire' down to open the show, making this - technically - the first show where the first full song performed is from Post Traumatic. This brings up to four possible intro songs now: 'Welcome,' 'Petrified,' 'Remember The Name,' and now this combo. Speaking of 'Petrified,' it and 'When They Come For Me' were both moved way down into the set near the end, the furthest down they've bene yet and the first time 'Petrified' was in the set without opening the show or encore. The 'About You,' 'Over Again,' and 'Papercut' combo opened the encore for the first time as well. As far as rarities go, 'Kenji' and 'Watching As I Fall' were both performed as the winners of Mike's poll, the latter of which getting its tour debut after being absent from sets since Moscow last month. 'It's Goin' Down' was also added to the set, getting its tour debut after being performed only the second time on the tour, the first being in Vienna. There's literally no telling how the show changes from night to night anymore. Anything is possible.

Watch Mike perform 'Watching As I Fall' in Tampa for the first time in a month! Only a few songs from Post Traumatic are left to make a full debut live: 'Nothing Makes Sense Anymore,' 'Brooding,' 'Promises I Can't Keep,' and 'Lift Off.'

It's been awhile since Mike was last in Tampa. Linkin Park's most recent show there was in 2014 on the Carnivores Tour with Thirty Seconds To Mars, where Mike rapped a demo verse of 'Wastelands' for the first and only time ever on the transition to 'Runaway.' The band has performed shows in Tampa since the Hybrid Theory days, their very first show being on the Family Values Tour in 2001. The band performed their twice in 2003 while touring for Meteora, the first being on the winter Meteora North American Tour and the other being on Projekt Revolution 2004. The band returned with a tumultuous show in 2007 on the Minutes To Midnight cycle, where a huge thunderstorm caused an evacuation. Chester also felt very sick at the show. The band returned again the next year on Projekt Revolution 2008 and had a much easier time, performing 'Crawling' with Chris Cornell. They returned once again in January 2011 on the A Thousand Suns Tour, which was the first time 'Bleed It Out' featured both parts of 'Burning In The Skies' and 'A Place For My Head.'

Tampa always delivers an awesome show, and this one should be no different. We have no idea what to expect from the sets at this point, but Mike is running a setlist poll! There's a couple of rotations in the set on top of songs shifting up and down throughout the set; the one Mike's polling for in Tampa is the hip-hop rotation. 'I.O.U.,' 'Until It Breaks,' and the Fort Minor song 'In Stereo' are all in this rotation: Mike's poll includes an option for "all of the above," so you may expect all three to be performed. and One is a Post Traumatic song rotation, which currently seems to be 'Hold It Together' and 'Watching As I Fall.' Will the latter return, or will this performance be a one-off? There's two piano songs being rotated: 'Heavy' and 'Burn It Down,' so if Mike asks you to pick Song #1 or Song #2, be ready. All the openers are being rotated as well, apparently with new ones being added on the fly as well. As far as soundcheck stuff goes, everything's been checked off the list. 'Sharp Edges' was played once so far, as well as 'It's Goin' Down.' They may even soundcheck some new stuff which may make an appearance in Tampa or beyond... who knows! We'll have to wait and find out.

Watch Linkin Park perform 'Runaway' and 'Wastelands' in Tampa in 2014. This was the only time Mike ever rapped the demo verse of 'Wastelands' over the 'Runaway' transition!

Anyone going to the show? Mark - a.k.a. Hahninator - will be there, so feel free to organize a meet-up below. Currently looks like after the show is the best bet! After this show, Mike heads to Orlando before making stops in Atlanta, Raleigh, and New Orleans - and the latter of which would make the perfect place for 'The Little Things Give You Away' to make an appearance. The long-awaited collaboration with Martin Garrix and Pierce Fulton - 'Waiting For Tomorrow' - gets its official release tomorrow as well, perhaps we can expect it to pop up in the set somehow soon as well!

We'll be keeping you updated on everything that happens at this show, so be be sure to follow us on Twitter and Facebook for the latest updates, and join the LPLive Discord for discussion with fans around the world (a couple members from the Discord will be at this show - be sure to say hi)! We just launched the new LPLive Archive YouTube Channel that is loaded with hours of rare content from the Linkin Park world, and we'll also be uploading videos from the Post Traumatic Tour there, too. Be sure to subscribe!

Check out the rest of Mike Shinoda's touring schedule here.

Show was absolutely incredible. I was about six feet back from the rail on the left side for most of the show, made eye contact with Mike a couple times, had a great view of the stage. Couple of really tall guys up front, though, had to maneuver around them. People also kept attempting to push up to the front and usually ended up right behind me, had a lot of people cycle in and out of those spots throughout the show.

There was also one special case where a guy pushed up next to me, attached at the hip to a random couple that he was continuously bothering, and then started harassing some women around where I was. He also ran right into me at one point, but pussed out when I shoved him back and told him to back the fuck up. Eventually it got to be too much and a few of the people around me helped me get him thrown out. Shithead deserved it.

I had zero expectations going into the show - I avoided the setlists as much as I could, expected a lot of Post Traumatic, expected some LP songs (Roads Untraveled, In the End), and of course the poll songs. It really exceeded my expectations, though - the energy, the communal feeling of the pit. Everyone was singing nearly every word, and the only dropouts were for some of the deeper Post Traumatic cuts. Seeing In Stereo was great, the Liftoff verse was out of nowhere and awesome, Dan's two drum solos absolutely shredded, Sharp Edges was gorgeous...god, it was all just amazing. I was blown away, even though my legs were killing me at the end, lol.

Don Broco was also a great opener, though the sound quality left a lot to be desired - the vocals were completely unintelligible for a lot of it. Maybe I was too close to the left speaker stack. It gave me a great view of the guitarist, though.

All in all, absolutely worth it. I'm disappointed I wasn't able to do a meetup, but after the show I was a little nervous about running into the guy that got thrown out and I was absolutely wiped out, so I had to just head home. If Mike tours again, and comes anywhere near me, I'll absolutely do it again.

Great show review. Wish I could have met up with you!

The crowd was SO loud at this show. Surely this is the most intimate venue of the tour with only 1,000~ capacity.

Sharp Edges is gorgeous. I had such a great time... the fans at these shows are awesome.

• 1 year later...
9 hours ago, hahninator said:

This ended up being the last time Sharp Edges was played by Matt. And the only time he played it without Mike on piano.

So I thought the video was worth preserving.

Thanks man. this is beautiful

Edited by lpplus