2018.08.25 - Reading 2018 (+ UK Livestream)

RogueSoul

"CHESTAH! CHESTAH!"

"WHAT, JOE?"

"ARE YOU GOING TO PLAY AT READING OR LEEDS FESTIVAL?"

"JOEEEE! ARE YOU GOING TO BE PLAYING LEEDS OR READING FESTIVAL? SPEAK SLOWLY AND PRECISELY! I CAN'T UNDERSTAAAAAAAND YOUUUUUUUU!"

"SHINOHDAH! MIKE SHINOHDAH! ARE YOU GOING TO PLAY THE READING OR LEEDS FESTIVAL? THE FESTIVALS, MIKE! ARE YOU GOING TO PLAY THEM? READING OR REEEE-LEEDS?"

Yes, Joe. Yes he is.

Mike's kicking off the Post Traumatic European Tour with a big run of three festival shows in three days. The second of these shows is the Reading festival in England, and if you're in the United Kingdom, you can watch it live from the comfort of your own home!

DlaLCmAUYAEijO9.png

Mike's European Tour got off to a strong start in France's Rock En Seine, and we got to watch it all unfold onstream. This show had the same songs as the band's set at the Summer Sonic festival in Tokyo the other night, but Mike's keeping things unique every show. Just because the songs played were the same doesn't mean the show was the same, and there certainly a bunch of little moments. A big one: Mike sang the chorus of 'Good Goodbye' instead of the chorus of 'Bleed It Out' during the mashup of the two songs, something he started doing at the last show of the Asian Tour in Singapore. Other little moments include Mike's super emotional speech during 'In The End' and messing up the lyrics to 'Make It Up As I Go' in a funny way - we're all human, can't blame him! Overall, it was a fantastic show with lots of energy. This show gave us the proshot footage of many songs on this tour, like 'Petrified' and 'When They Come For Me,' and the first ever proshot of 'Kenji.'

Watch Mike's full set at the Rock En Seine festival yesterday - a really electrifying performance. First proshot of the tour, and it's definitely a worthwhile watch.

This is Mike's first solo show in England... sort of. While it's the first stop there on his solo career, Mike performed a solo Fort Minor show in London in 2015. This was a super special show, being the last Fort Minor show that's been played (as of the writing of this post), and featured an awesome setlist which included the Suicide Music mashup version of 'High Voltage,' 'Devil's Drop' from the MALL Soundtrack, and the live remix version of 'Cigarettes.' Two of those are some of the most requested songs fans want to hear on the Post Traumatic Tour - we wrote a post recently about what songs Mike could add to the set that fans want to hear, and 'High Voltage' and 'Cigarettes' were both some of the most requested. Back to this Fort Minor show - Mike actually did something special to open the encore there, playing the Funky Rebel Break beat he used earlier in the show and throwing some verse requests from the crowd over it. Mike ended up rapping 'There You Go' for the first time on the tour, as well as 'A Place For My Head' for the first time as Fort Minor.

See Mike rap verses of 'There They Go' and 'A Place For My Head' at his Fort Minor show in London in 2015. Definitely one of the most iconic moments of the tour.

It's been quite some time since Mike has performed at the Reading festival. While Linkin Park's final shows on the One More Light European Tour were all in England, the band hadn't performed at the Reading and Leeds festivals since August 2003, on the Meteora World Tour. You probably all know the iconic skit I quoted at the start of this post that came from before those shows. At the time, these were some pretty big shows for the band - headlining these festivals is no joke. While Mike isn't headlining, he's still gracing the mainstage before the likes of Kendrick Lamar, Panic! At The Disco, Dua Lipa, and Sum 41.

Mike's great friends with the members of Sum 41 - drummer Frank Zummo performed with Linkin Park at the Hollywood Bowl tribute show, absolutely killing it on 'Rebellion,' 'The Catalyst,' and 'A Light That Never Comes,' while singer Deryck Whibley delivered a stunning vocal performance during 'The Catalyst.' Sum 41 have also been closing their shows with a cover of 'Faint,' dedicating the song to Chester each night. They skip Mike parts when performing it, but... if they have Mike there, why not play the whole thing? Plus, we'd get a PROSHOT of that. Mike recently joined ONE OK ROCK during their set at the Summer Sonic Festival in Osaka for the song 'One Way Ticket,' Mike rapping parts of 'Where'd You Go' over the first verse of the song. This'd be an awesome opportunity to see a collaboration happen!

On the list of "shit we want to see happen," Mike joining Sum 41 for 'Faint' is up there. Seeing that in proshot quality too... make it happen, guys.

How can we be so sure we'll get a proshot? Because the Reading festival in livestreamed! The full main stage lineup and then some will be broadcasted on BBC Radio 1. There's a downside to this, however; BBC Radio 1 streams are region-locked to the United Kingdom only... but, being the sneaky bastards we are, have a work around for you. If you have a good VPN, chances are you'll be alright to watch the stream anyway. Do not use the extension Hola - instead, use this Chrome extension called Beebs, made specifically to bypass the BBC Radio 1 region blocks. Mike hits the stage at 2:50 BST. For a download link to that extension as well as a countdown, timezone converter, and link to the stream, check the spoiler tag:

LIVESTREAM INFO:

What can we expect from this show? Probably not any huge surprises - Mike plays it pretty safe with festivals. Rock En Seine was identical in song-selection as Summer Sonic Tokyo, but Mike has a little less set time - likely around 45-50 minutes. Mike has two effective setlists - the one that opens with 'Petrified' and the one that opens with 'Welcome.' 'Petrified' has opened the last three shows (Tokyo, Singapore, Paris). Mike also said these sets will be "exclusive" - which probably just means one will be the 'Welcome' set and the other will be the 'Petrified' one. Or, maybe Mike completely flips stuff up. Who knows! We'll have to find out. Ideally, Mike will play the 'Welcome' set at this show so we could get a proshot of both versions of the set.

Is anyone planning on going? After Reading, Mike heads to the Leeds festival to wrap up this three-day festival run. From there, we get back into full shows with headlining stops across Europe, starting with Köln, Germany. After this tour wraps up with an opening spot for Thirty Seconds To Mars in Italy, Mike takes a month break before returning to North America for the extensive Monster Outbreak Energy Tour.

We'll be keeping you updated on everything that happens at this show, so be be sure to follow us on Twitter and Facebook for the latest updates, and join the LPLive Discord for discussion with fans around the world! We just launched the new LPLive Archive YouTube Channel that is loaded with hours of rare content from the Linkin Park world, and we'll also be uploading videos from the Post Traumatic Tour there, too. Be sure to subscribe!

Check out the rest of Mike Shinoda's touring schedule here.

"CHESTAH! CHESTAH!"

"WHAT, JOE?"

"ARE YOU GOING TO PLAY AT READING OR LEEDS FESTIVAL?"

"JOEEEE! ARE YOU GOING TO BE PLAYING LEEDS OR READING FESTIVAL? SPEAK SLOWLY AND PRECISELY! I CAN'T UNDERSTAAAAAAAND YOUUUUUUUU!"

"SHINOHDAH! MIKE SHINOHDAH! ARE YOU GOING TO PLAY THE READING OR LEEDS FESTIVAL? THE FESTIVALS, MIKE! ARE YOU GOING TO PLAY THEM? READING OR REEEE-LEEDS?"

I always remembered that video but forgot where was from. Hilarious to this day.

I like how Mike gives both Dan and Matt the whole stage and play Running From My Shadow completely alone, which results in the end of the show. This is a sign of respect for me if you play as "Mike Shinoda" and you let your supporting staff play alone on such a big stage. Props!

This was a fucking show, wow. HUGE support for Mike and LP. Chester chants before the show started according to Mike. Two absolutely INSANE shows back to back, though I will say Rock En Seine definitely had an air of sadness in it. This show was a straight celebration.