2018.08.09 - Bangkok, TH

RogueSoul

And we're off! Mike Shinoda's Post Traumatic Asian Tour has kicked off and it's time to get things rolling for real. After a shaky but strong start in Hong Kong, Mike's tour is making its second stop on August 9 in Bangkok, Thailand at the GMM Live House @ Central World.

DkHNFsxUYAApyLE.jpg

Mike's first show in Kowloon Bay, Hong Kong, kicked off the tour two nights ago. It was a bit of a rough start - so much so that the show almost didn't happen. Upon getting to Hong Kong, Mike and his band - Dan Mayo and Matt Harris - set up at a rehearsal studio in order to get some last minute prep in. Long story short: a lot of things went wrong and several keyboards and guitar pedals were fried - effectively, the gear was unusable. Instead of cancelling, however, the band powered through and improvised some things. They still played a full setlist, perhaps missing some elements; one noticeable thing that was missing were the guitar effects at the end of 'Watching As I Fall.' It's likely some other things were missing, but we can't really tell yet... because we don't really understand what everything's supposed to sound like!

The setlist for Hong Kong was essentially the same set Mike played in New York City; the Post Traumatic release show. All it was missing was that impromptu 'Hands Held High' verse, but there were many changes that really made up for it. For one, it was the first performance with Mike's new band members! The drums added a load of energy and drive into the set (though those crash cymbals on 'Welcome' might need to be brought down a bit), especially in some of the more hip-hop oriented tracks like 'Watching As I Fall' and the 'Waiting For The End' and 'Where'd You Go' mashup, while Matt Harris added a lot of awesome layering and backing vocals to the mix. Many new guitar parts were present in plenty of songs, like during that WFTE/WYG mashup, the 'Good Goodbye' and 'Bleed It Out' mashup, and 'Castle Of Glass.' With the backing band, Mike has effectively started playing the studio version of 'Papercut,' complete with the heavy guitars and pounding drums - on top of that, Matt adds in the backing vocals that previous have only been done by Jon Green at the Hollywood Bowl show! Matt does some great vocals, especially in tracks like 'Crossing A Line' and 'Ghosts.'

While no new songs were added into the set, plenty of new additions and details really made it feel like a brand new show. Welcome returns to the set: 'I.O.U.' being performed for the second time ever, while 'Running From My Shadow' brought the show to an epic end with Dan jamming big to take the show out. New additions include the full versions of 'When They Come For Me' and 'Roads Untraveled' being performed for the first time! 'When They Come For Me' was performed for its entirety for the first time since Las Vegas 2014, Mike adding in the bridge and outro after dropping them from previous sets. Mike played guitar on the track for the first time, playing a new part during the last chorus and outro - would be nice to see that louder and with some distortion at upcoming shows (perhaps it was meant to, but the gear problem led to that not happening?). 'Roads Untraveled' was performed in full for the first time... ever. The version Linkin Park performed at the Hollywood Bowl lacked the ending, and until now Mike skipped that guitar refrain before Chester's verse. With the full band, the full version is now possible, and it sounds huge. Other small changes include a piano intro to 'In The End' as Mike talked emotionally about Chester, a new extended intro featuring an atmospheric synth and guitar for 'Kenji,' and an extended outro for 'Place To Start' the featured a short synth solo by Mike.

New production and a new band = some awesome stuff. Watch Mike perform the full version of 'Roads Untraveled' for the first time ever from the first show of the tour in Hong Kong.

Thailand is sure to bring some big energy for this show - it's been nearly seven years since Mike last performed there. Linkin Park last performed there in 2011, on the A Thousand Suns tour. It seems no one can really catch a break on an Asian Tour, as Linkin Park faced some problems during this tour, too, though these issues were a bit different. Phoenix was suffering from food poisoning and had to miss the show - the first time any Linkin Park member had missed an entire show. This was likely the reason 'Blackout' was dropped from the set. The band has visited Bangkok three times over their career, the other times thankfully were less problem-prone. The first show was in 2004 on the Meteora International Tour, which featured the return of 'Figure.09' into the setlists as well as a cover of 'Wish' by Nine Inch Nails. The band returned three years later for the Minutes To Midnight tour in 2007 to kick off that leg's Asian Tour, though the set had to be shortened a bit due to starting late. This resulted in 'Crawling' and 'The Little Things Give You Away' being dropped. As mentioned before, this'll be Mike's first show since 2011 in the country, so the energy is bound to be big.

This is the only video that exists from Bangkok 2004. The short source is a proshot of 'Don't Stay' with its epic Gacela Intro opening the show and 'Lying From You' - super old-school!

Is anyone going to the show? As far as the setlist goes, we can probably expect more-or-less the same setlist as Hong Kong, this time hopefully with all the gear in order. Mike said that it's very likely that the setlist will change over time, so who knows when new elements start coming in - we'll have to wait and see! After this show, Mike heads to Incheon, South Korea to play the Incheon Pentaport Rock Fest, performing before Nine Inch Nails. Then, a three-show run through China comes, with two shows in Japan for the Summer Sonic festivals in Tokyo and Osaka before wrapping the tour up in Singapore. Mike and co. then head straight to Europe for several shows throughout the continent. After a month's break, Mike will return in October to kick off the newly-announced North American leg of the Post Traumatic Tour that heads all over the United States as well as making its first two stops in Canada.

For updates on the show and all things Mike Shinoda, be sure to follow us on social media! Follow us on Twitter and Facebook for the latest updates, and join the LPLive Discord for discussion with fans around the world!

Check out the rest of Mike Shinoda's touring schedule here.

Hopefully they could fix all the technical problems, so we can see the set flawless for the first time. Maybe some things will even sound different?

When LP was there in 2011 someone recorded the full show in a pretty nice quality (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yq2JBJwkqo0). Who knows, maybe we will get some similar recordings this time :)

btw: Is it just me or are tickets very expensive for Thailand? Starting from 55USD up to 80USD. Monthly average income in Thailand is only 250USD, so I think it is kinda "unfair" for Thailand fans compared to fans in North America / Europe.

I just came out from the show. Mike, he was really messed up with his guitar. He smashed on the guitar with angry. after that happened. He relaxed and talk to the fans about the shirt because many Thai people wear cheap local red-scott shirt to attend to the show. that's joke from Mike. It's so funny.

The show was great. however, when Mike play LP songs, that made me miss Chester. goshhh

I'm impressed with Petrified is in the list. surprised and unexpected for me. :lol:

Mike came to the crowd on the song "Running from the shadow" and end of the show.

Edited by taoso

I just came out from the show. Mike, he was really messed up with his guitar. He smashed on the guitar with angry. after that happened. He relaxed and talk to the fans about the shirt because many Thai people wear cheap local red-scott shirt to attend to the show. that's joke from Mike. It's so funny.

The show was great. however, when Mike play LP songs, that made me miss Chester. goshhh

I'm impressed with Petrified is in the list. surprised and unexpected for me. :lol:

Mike came to the crowd on the song "Running from the shadow" and end of the show.

When the guitar thing happened?

Petrified is different. First of all, Introduction is before it. Anyway, Mike starts verse 1 early and goes right into the verse when the beat drops. Not sure if that was an accident or not, we will need to see China before we add a note on it. Next, he rapped the outro on the bridge (but kept the live outro) and skipped the studio bridge.

There is a Dan Mayo drum solo somewhere in the set. Haven't seen a video yet.