Summary: "One More Light Live" Listening Party With Mike

RogueSoul

Mike Shinoda jumped on Instagram Live to join LPFanCorner's listening party for One More Light Live which has officially come out today. He dropped a bunch of interesting facts throughout the stream, and in case you missed it, here's a quick summary:

• Mike thinks a hologram Chester is a stupid, if not offensive idea. They'll never do something like that.
  • They didn't want to do a "best of" compilation for Chester, but rather, they wanted to capture this moment in time on the tour.
  • Friends of the band and the label thought it would be a good idea to make a live album from the tour.
  • Brad, Ethan, and Josh (studio engineers) were very involved in selecting the songs on the record. They went back and forth between recordings picking the best ones (though we still don't know who's responsible for adding 3 seconds of the Krakow performance to 'Nobody Can Save Me'...)
  • Mike hasn't done much work on 'Looking For An Answer' until today - he started work on it this morning. He has more plans to work on it this week or next week. He's sent out a demo of it to the band and Rob listened to it, so he may be beginning to work on a drum arrangement for it soon.
  • One More Light Live is a top-charting record in several countries around the world, which is unheard of for a live album.
  • In classic Linkin Park fashion, the entire stream crashed when Mike invited a random watcher into the stream.
  • The new version of 'Leave Out All The Rest' came about while they were working on One More Light, when Mike thought about how a lot of the songs start quietly then build. He thought about LOATR starting big instead of quietly as it did on the album version and brought it to the rehearsals.
  • Mike's home studio is set up now as more of a jam environment so that the band can come in and play like they did back in the old days.
  • Stormzy finished his album (which became massive in the UK) then finished 'Good Goodbye.' When filming the video, he flew to L.A. for a few hours just to do the shoot then flew back.

and this wasn't part of the livestream, but...

• Linkin Park has won Fuse's Top 40 of 2017 with 'One More Light,' beating out the likes of Lady Gaga, Kendrick Lamar, and more.

Mike left during 'What I've Done,' so he didn't stick around to get through the entire album but it was still a great 40 minutes spent with him. It's seems very likely that 'Looking For An Answer' will be getting a release at some point (looking like some time in 2018) and, despite the uncertain "we'll have to see what the future holds," it seems that Linkin Park is slowly getting back into the groove of things. We'll certainly have to see what the next step is, and we'll be here every step of the way. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook for all the updates.

"and Rob is starting to work on a drum arrangement."

As far as I remember he said that he saw that Rob downloaded the file so he thinks that Rob is working on drums, in which case that would be a little bit misleading.

"Mike left after 'What I've Done,'"

It was at the start of WID (not that important though I guess)

Also mike said gear was brought in for Hollywood bowl show to practice but kept it there as hoping band will start jamming again sometime. Sounds like there messing round with looking for a answer but they have done this with songs before mike might not wanna release it in the end n keep it just on bowl show so more of waiting and seeing then guessing 2018 release. Also ppl need to remember if lp continues its gonna take long ass time for them to figure things out. I think it was annoying how ppl kept asking about holgram and when u releasing new music like jesus chill already let the dude grieve u don’t get over a loss that fast

Glad they released this live album instead of a best of compilation or whatever. Chester always preferred live over studio (he has said it many times throughout the years) and the man loved being on stage. He was on fire this last tour. So a good way to honor him (can't say it enough). And it's something I will enjoy for years because 99.9% of the music I listen to from Linkin Park and the side projects is live material. This is an A+ release to me. All blends very well and sounds good.

It seemed too much for him at times, the music being too emotional. And that's ok, that's how it is for literally everyone. Nothing to be ashamed of whatsoever...everyone is picking each other up like he said (band/fan interaction is included in that).

It was just great to see him on a video. He was live a lot or posted a lot of videos all the time when social media became bigger and bigger. We've been used to him always doing stuff and now there was a big void this year after Chester passed (again, understandably so). So I think seeing him back like that really was refreshing to people.

He could talk about the weather, news, anything going on in the world on a live video and people would like it.

Re: the LP stuff... we had a feeling they were doing *something* because they are doing the band meetings weekly, etc. No surprise they are working on some music. We'll see what happens in 2018. No rush on anything, they're still taking it one day at a time too and still healing. Publicly they are saying they don't know what is going to happen because they truthfully don't. But that doesn't mean they aren't/can't make some music together. It was cool to see Mike talk about his home studio being arranged so they could jam songs together like they did to rehearse for the Hollywood Bowl.

My guess/feeling is that they'll be doing this over the course of the next 1-6 months and eventually it'll be just natural for them (there's always this void of no Chester, I'm not saying it'll be NORMAL without him...but some sense of the word "normal")... they'll come up with creative ideas, they'll vibe, they'll jam together and have fun, they'll all heal together, etc... and they'll have some music eventually.

Glad they released this live album instead of a best of compilation or whatever. Chester always preferred live over studio (he has said it many times throughout the years) and the man loved being on stage. He was on fire this last tour. So a good way to honor him (can't say it enough). And it's something I will enjoy for years because 99.9% of the music I listen to from Linkin Park and the side projects is live material. This is an A+ release to me. All blends very well and sounds good.

Couldn't agree more, with everything you said.

It seemed too much for him at times, the music being too emotional. And that's ok, that's how it is for literally everyone. Nothing to be ashamed of whatsoever...everyone is picking each other up like he said (band/fan interaction is included in that).

It was just great to see him on a video. He was live a lot or posted a lot of videos all the time when social media became bigger and bigger. We've been used to him always doing stuff and now there was a big void this year after Chester passed (again, understandably so). So I think seeing him back like that really was refreshing to people.

He could talk about the weather, news, anything going on in the world on a live video and people would like it.

Re: the LP stuff... we had a feeling they were doing *something* because they are doing the band meetings weekly, etc. No surprise they are working on some music. We'll see what happens in 2018. No rush on anything, they're still taking it one day at a time too and still healing. Publicly they are saying they don't know what is going to happen because they truthfully don't. But that doesn't mean they aren't/can't make some music together. It was cool to see Mike talk about his home studio being arranged so they could jam songs together like they did to rehearse for the Hollywood Bowl.

My guess/feeling is that they'll be doing this over the course of the next 1-6 months and eventually it'll be just natural for them (there's always this void of no Chester, I'm not saying it'll be NORMAL without him...but some sense of the word "normal")... they'll come up with creative ideas, they'll vibe, they'll jam together and have fun, they'll all heal together, etc... and they'll have some music eventually.

Couldn't agree more, with everything you said.

I agree and this is my thinking as well