Double Kick Drums?

He's never used them on any studio recording. He's used double kick drums in the past during his solo and that's it.

No, not even during his solos. Rob's live kit has NEVER had a double kick pedal. Rob was asked about this at one point and he said the last time he'd even played on a kit with a double kick was sometime in the mid-90s.

Edited by Astat

No, not even during his solos. Rob's live kit has NEVER had a double kick pedal. Rob was asked about this at one point and he said the last time he'd even played on a kit with a double kick was sometime in the mid-90s.

Hmmm I don't know.

Check this:

In the 1:30 mark, it sounds (and look at his left foot which is not hitting the hi hat pedal) like he's using double kick pedal for a few seconds.

Hmmm I don't know.

Check this:

In the 1:30 mark, it sounds (and look at his left foot which is not hitting the hi hat pedal) like he's using double kick pedal for a few seconds.

There's no way there. Hes just keeping rhythm like many other drummers do. Plus that bass part isn't even fast enough to consider having a double pedal. The best thing to do is watch the bass drum itself. The shine of the lights helps show you when hes kicked.

There's no way there. Hes just keeping rhythm like many other drummers do. Plus that bass part isn't even fast enough to consider having a double pedal. The best thing to do is watch the bass drum itself. The shine of the lights helps show you when hes kicked.

Not to mention you can clearly see that there's nothing on the ground between the hi-hat stand and the bass drum where the other kick pedal would have to be, lol.

What about the first verse of "Victimized"? I'm pretty sure thats too fast to be done on just a single kick pedal.

Of course that part might not be a "live" drum part in the recording of it, but to me it sounds like a double. I dunno about the live version however.

What about the first verse of "Victimized"? I'm pretty sure thats too fast to be done on just a single kick pedal.

Of course that part might not be a "live" drum part in the recording of it, but to me it sounds like a double. I dunno about the live version however.

On the studio version, those are probably just programmed drums during the verses (but you are right, if he had played that live, he would have definitely needed a double kick drum). On the live version, Rob plays the kick drum part on his sample pads on the left of his kit while Phoenix triggers the tom and snare samples on his MIDI controller.

On the studio version, those are probably just programmed drums during the verses (but you are right, if he had played that live, he would have definitely needed a double kick drum). On the live version, Rob plays the kick drum part on his sample pads on the left of his kit while Phoenix triggers the tom and snare samples on his MIDI controller.

Ah cool, intereresting. That makes sense for a live perspective as I never could see what Rob was doing live, but i could clearly hear that insane beat pattern in the verses - which where louder live than in the studio version :)

if you think the part when mike sing after voice sample there rob is playing on snare or toms

Edited by Steve*

if you think the part when mike sing after voice sample there rob is playing on snare or toms

Those "toms" on the left side of Rob's kit are Pintech trigger pads built into regular drum shells. They've been part of his kit since the start of the A Thousand Suns tour. Rob only has 2 rack toms and 2 floor toms on his kit.

Edited by Astat