What's your interpretation of the songs?

Tomer

Judging by the similar meanings in the songs, falling in and out of love, and getting through addictions, I'd say the album as a whole is about someone (Chester) pushing themselves to the edge, then coming out from the brink, hence the name 'Out Of Ashes'

Well, I view the lyrics on the album from what Chester went through because he has said that many times so they're either dealing with addiction, love, getting divorced/separation and death. For example, it's obvious to tell that Crawl Back In, My Suffering, Condemned and Walking In Circles could all be about the different emotions you get from being an addict while songs like Give Me Your Name, In The Darkness and Into You are all about love. It's easy to tell that Too Late and Let Down are about divorce and Fire and End Of The World are about death in a sense.

• 5 weeks later...

Fire - Chester has said this was about his own religious views. Originally the lyrics were more from his religious views, but were later changed a little bit so it wasn't too personal.

Crawl Back In - Chester has said it's about relapsing and the pain you feel from being addicted to something.

Too Late - Chester has said this was about his own religious views. Originally the lyrics were more from his religious views, but were later changed a little bit so it wasn't too personal.

Inside Of Me - Chester has said it's about being away from his wife and kids while on tour, and wanting to get drunk to take away the pain.

Let Down - Chester has said this song is about not wanting to repeat the same mistakes again from his first marriage in his second marriage.

Give Me Your Name - Chester said he wrote this song for his wedding with Talinda and even danced to this song during his wedding. He wasn't sure if he wanted to include this song on the album, but decided to in the end.

My Suffering - Chester has said it's a song about how being a drug addict and alcoholic has helped him become successful in ways, because he was able to write about the pain and despair, which spawned huge hit songs like 'Crawling' with Linkin Park.

Condemned - Chester has said this song is about how he liked feeling like shit all the time at one point. He was a bit vague on this one, but if you know his personal history, you can easily figure it out.

Into You - Chester has said this song was about falling in love and meeting someone who you want to spend the rest of your life with.

End Of The World - Chester has never really said specifically what this song was about, but he usually refers to it as a ''good fucking rock song'' a lot before playing it at DBS live shows over the years.

Walking In Circles - Chester has said this song was about not being a sheep in society, and having your own thoughts and your own views, and feeling separated from the rest of society because of this.

In The Darkness - Chester has said this song is about the art of making love and the passion that goes with it.

Morning After (Bonus Track) - Chester has said in 2001 when he performed this song with Linkin Park, that the song is about the anticipation of one day making it in the music business, as well as sleeping in his car at one point. On later dates he has said this song is about simply partying too hard.

Edited by Geki

Chester has pretty much directly said what a few of the songs are about, so I'll post some

Fire: He said it's about his own religious views

Crawl Back In: He said it's about relapsing and the pain you feel being addicted to something

Too Late: He said it's about his own religious views

Inside Of Me: He said it's about being away from his Wife and family while he's on tour

Let Down: He said it's about divorcing Sam and not wanting to make the same mistakes again

Give Me Your Name: He said he wrote this song for his wedding

My Suffering: He said it's about being an alcoholic/addict and the pain you feel from it, like CBI

Condemned: He said it's about the love affair thing while feeling like shit

Into You: He said it's about meeting Talinda

End Of The World: He has never really said specifically but the lyrics are kind of obvious

Walking In Circles: He said it's about feeling alone because you're the only unique one and everyone else are sheep

In The Darkness: He said it's about making love

Nice!

where did he say that?

Nice!

where did he say that?

Well I just took a bunch of different quotes from interviews for that. I know Fire and Too Late are from the Shockhound interview and WIC is from the Rockline Interview, someone called in and asked him what the song was about. All the others I have pieced together from tons of different interviews.

Edited by Geki

• 2 weeks later...

''The first song he wrote was the cathartic ''Let Down''. Inspired by his messy, painful divorce, it came out easily. Let Down was about the experience of getting divorced," he says. "I know who I am, that I'm a romantic person, and that I like being in love. I don't want to repeat the same things that happened to me in my previous relationship in the next one."

''But nowhere is that torment more apparent than on the explosive lead single, "Crawl Back In," where Bennington shares his doubts and his struggles with addiction. "It's a song about feeling as if I don't have my own identity and, at the same time, feeling like you wish you were never born," he says. "That song came out of the despair you feel being addicted to something."

''In fact, he wrote the song ''Give Me Your Name'' for his new wife. ''If someone hates Give Me Your Name,' I'll be like, 'I'll fucking kill you. I'll fucking cut your face off,'', he jokes. ''I had this acoustic riff I had been playing with that was very mellow and I was like, summon beautiful music in your mind. And it just came to me, it was the first we danced to at our wedding and it was good enough to make the record.''

"In The Darkness," which he describes as "about the act of making love with someone you feel deep love for."

''I wrote 'In The Darkness' and 'Into You' about our relationship, and even 'Inside Of Me' is me needing to be with her when I was out there losing my fucking mind and she was 600 miles away.''

''There are songs like 'Condemned' and 'My Suffering' which talk about my love affair with feeling like shit, so to speak.''

''Then there are songs that I tried to mess with a little bit lyrically because they dealt with the God and my personal feeling about God. Those were 'Fire' and 'Too Late'. Some people kind of get squirmish when you're dealing with that subject matter, so I changed it up a little bit lyrically to make it more about a relationship between two people rather than a relationship between myself and my God.''

''The first song he wrote was the cathartic ''Let Down''. Inspired by his messy, painful divorce, it came out easily. Let Down was about the experience of getting divorced," he says. "I know who I am, that I'm a romantic person, and that I like being in love. I don't want to repeat the same things that happened to me in my previous relationship in the next one."

''But nowhere is that torment more apparent than on the explosive lead single, "Crawl Back In," where Bennington shares his doubts and his struggles with addiction. "It's a song about feeling as if I don't have my own identity and, at the same time, feeling like you wish you were never born," he says. "That song came out of the despair you feel being addicted to something."

''In fact, he wrote the song ''Give Me Your Name'' for his new wife. ''If someone hates Give Me Your Name,' I'll be like, 'I'll fucking kill you. I'll fucking cut your face off,'', he jokes. ''I had this acoustic riff I had been playing with that was very mellow and I was like, summon beautiful music in your mind. And it just came to me, it was the first we danced to at our wedding and it was good enough to make the record.''

"In The Darkness," which he describes as "about the act of making love with someone you feel deep love for."

''I wrote 'In The Darkness' and 'Into You' about our relationship, and even 'Inside Of Me' is me needing to be with her when I was out there losing my fucking mind and she was 600 miles away.''

''There are songs like 'Condemned' and 'My Suffering' which talk about my love affair with feeling like shit, so to speak.''

''Then there are songs that I tried to mess with a little bit lyrically because they dealt with the God and my personal feeling about God. Those were 'Fire' and 'Too Late'. Some people kind of get squirmish when you're dealing with that subject matter, so I changed it up a little bit lyrically to make it more about a relationship between two people rather than a relationship between myself and my God.''