Genne Simmons from Kiss talks about Linkin Park's comeback

JZLP-RoadsUntraveled

The guys in Linkin Park recently announced that they’re reforming the band with a new singer named Emily Armstrong. Have you listened to the new music?

It's great. I listened. I saw some videos. The new female singer, great! She fits the band. She sounds great and good luck to them. Life is short. Go out there and live it up, enjoy it. Linkin Park got fans, they want to hear the songs and the music. Why not? There are bands that tour, Lynyrd Skynyrd, lots of bands that barely have any original members or no original members. People want to hear those songs.

What do you think about the choice of picking Armstrong instead of trying to find another male vocalist who was imitating Chester Bennington’s voice?

I love it. It breaks the rules because when you think about the rules—AC/DC, we took them out on their first tour, [people said] they couldn't survive without Bon [Scott]. That's the voice! Well, actually they did survive and they got bigger.

“Well, once you get your new lead singer, you can't get rid of him!” No, actually, Axl [Rose] did a terrific job. If he was in AC/DC or Guns N’ Roses, they would both be great because it was convincing. Van Halen—a band I supposedly discovered or found, they had signed to me and all that—and I personally preferred the [David Lee] Roth era Van Halen. It was great. There was nobody like him, it changed what lead singers were. Once Roth left, “Oh boy, that's the end of it!” No, actually they literally got bigger with Sammy Hagar.

All these “rules.” Genesis, they lose Peter Gabriel, it's over! Nope. Once Gabriel left, Genesis became a stadium band with a drummer who came up from the back. All those “rules,” who made the rules anyway? In rock and roll, there are no rules.

There were mixed reviews when Armstrong was announced as the singer. Some were very excited, but many were upset about her ties to scientology—

What does “many” mean?It’s hard to quantify internet backflash, let’s say for the sake of conversation, thousands of people.

I know all about Scientology. I studied L. Ron Hubbard [...] the thetans and the energy leftover when the universe was created, that we all have “theta” within us. I get it. I understand and have read deeply into that. I'm not a follower, but good luck! Life is short. Believe whatever you want, worship a rock or an alien, whatever floats your boat.

they go on tour, the real answer is, “Of the people, for the people, by the people.” No matter what the internet says, no matter what these “thousands” of people who bark the loudest—the smallest dog barks the loudest. The great silent majority—I don't mean politically—the people who make things happen, buy tickets. So, if they—and they will—sell lots of tickets, Linkin Park, then the public has spoken. End of story. And they will do great.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/derekscancarelli/2024/09/13/gene-simmons-on-life-after-kiss-sale-and-avatars-linkin-park-oasis-morrissey-taylor-swift-and-chappell-roan/

Edited by JZLP-RoadsUntraveled

You can say many things about Gene, but he usually has some solid takes. My personal LP fan bias aside, he's dead on here. We're already seeing their first tour selling out across the board. The band is not slowing down. For every fan they lose, another will take their place. I saw so many young kinds in the crowd at the LA show. Kids that probably weren't even alive when Chester was performing. For them, this is their version of LP. Can't underestimate the amount of new generation LP fans we are gaining.