LPLive / SOBCentral Exclusive: 'Flight Path' by Ryu (Prod. Cheapshot & Vin Skully)

Today we have something special for Fort Minor and Styles Of Beyond fans: a demo titled 'Flight Path' by Ryu.

Before we get to the song, here's a little history: Junkyard Scientific was a name created in the 90's by a friend of Styles Of Beyond's MC Ryan Maginn (aka Ryu). The members of Styles Of Beyond always thought it was a good name for a hip-hop group and actually considered changing their name to Junkyard Scientific prior to the release of their debut album "2000 Fold". However, as Styles Of Beyond had already earned some recognition in the underground scene, they were advised against doing so. Despite this, several songs in their debut album make references to the name, namely 'Dangerous Minds', 'Muuvon', 'Part II (Endangered)', 'Survival Tactics' and 'Marco Polo'. The latter was originally an Emcee 007 song featuring Ryu with production by Mike Shinoda of Linkin Park. References to the name are also present in the early Linkin Park songs 'Fuse', 'Closing' and 'Fiends'.

Fast forward several years, around 2011, Ryu, DJ Cheapshot and producer Vin Skully got together with composer James Katalbas in order to create a few songs for The Math Club, a music composing company founded by Cheapshot and Vin Skully. A total of 3 songs from those sessions have been legally registered under the band name Junkyard Scientific (a nod to Styles Of Beyond's early history) for media (TV/film) licensing purposes: 'Animal House', 'Flight Path' and 'Til Next Time'. This was prior to the official reunion of Styles Of Beyond and the release of their long delayed album "Reseda Beach".

'Animal House' was eventually featured on Phil Lord and Christopher Miller's 2014 action comedy film "22 Jump Street," but not included in the soundtrack album which means you can only hear a glimpse of the track exclusively on the film. In the credits, the song is attributed to Ryu as a solo artist. This was the only song of those three to ever be licensed and over the years Ryu has declined offers to release this or either of the other two tracks as they don't represent the kind of music he usually makes and were not made for release to the public.

Recently, with the help of our friend Jay Sinkie from SOBCentral, we were finally granted permission to share one of those tracks with the community. Listen to 'Flight Path' by Ryu below.

Download (MP3 320kbps)

Hearing anything related to SOB these days, even if it's a decade+ old, it's a miracle.

I'm still wishing for a reunion or let alone Tak or Ryu making a song with Mike again but that seems extremely unlikely at this point.

1 hour ago, RentEznor said:

Hearing anything related to SOB these days, even if it's a decade+ old, it's a miracle.

I'm still wishing for a reunion or let alone Tak or Ryu making a song with Mike again but that seems extremely unlikely at this point.

Tak hates Mike and after Shinoda removed once again (first time With You remix) a verse by Ryu i think that their friendship fell apart.

13 hours ago, JZLP-NaughtyNottingham said:

Tak hates Mike and after Shinoda removed once again (first time With You remix) a verse by Ryu i think that their friendship fell apart.

Someone please could tell me why this long feud between Shinoda and SOB? 

1 hour ago, bloodbath said:

Tak was angry at Mike for not promoting SOB more. Ryu was upset as his verse from Welcome was dropped.

Ryu and Mike resolved their beef I believe.

4 hours ago, bloodbath said:

i guess someone can explain it better:

SOB recorded one of their albums at WB (reseda beach?)

the album was completed but someone at WB decided that the album wasn't good enough so they blocked the release. Tak blamed Mike for not helping SOB to get the record out.

5 hours ago, BeardyWilderness said:

Tak was angry at Mike for not promoting SOB more. Ryu was upset as his verse from Welcome was dropped.

Ryu and Mike resolved their beef I believe.

Not sure about Tak these days but Ryu and Mike publicly acknolowdged that confusing beef and made peace.

Besides that, we don't really know what's going on privately, as I do recall a Facebook (or Instagram don't remember which one but he definitely posted it at one point) Ryu post saying he didn't get a plaque for another new milestone for either TRT or RTN, someone asked him to ask Mike about it and he jokingly said something like "Don't have his number anymore lol". It's been a long time so forgive me if my memory tricks me.

On 7/7/2024 at 8:34 PM, JZLP-NaughtyNottingham said:

Whoa. Hang on now. 

This is my first post on this site, however I've been following SOB avidly as a fan since I first heard "Style Warz" in a 411 VHS Skateboard video in 1999 or 2000. 

Style Warz was quite literally the FIRST MP3 that I ever downloaded of the Internet using a computer that my older brother had built for my mom (a 486 DX 166!) and I remember my brother showing me how to end as many tasks in windows 98 so that the computer would be capable of playing back that song without interruption / locking up with the heads on that harddrive SCREAMING because windows was trying to move data from RAM to the page file. -- then connecting a cassette tape recorder to the audio out port on that PC's sound card recording that song you a blank tape, then taking that cassette tape out of that recorder and placing it into another dual cassette stereo, and recording my cassette tape recording onto ANOTHER cassette tape, multiple times, so that I could listen to Style Warz on repeat WITHOUT having to rewind! 

Hopefully that story helps give me enough credibility to justify making such an audacious first post on this forum (I'm half way kidding here) - but for any of you fans to flat out say that an artist hates another artist, is, in my opinion out of line. Y'all gotta respect these artists if you want to consider yourself as legitimate fans. 

In regards to SOB & Mike Shinoda -- if you look at the cover art of the very first SOB release, the 1997 Killer Instinct vinyl single, Mike Shinoda is credited for the artwork. So, from everything that's my stupid ass in South Carolina (the REAL 'SC', who's never even been to Southern California) has been able to observe, Mike Shinoda was part of the SOB crew from the very beginning. 

Now -- look at difference in the paths that all of the individuals credited on that first 1997 release -- how many of them have pursued and traveled the exact same path? Genuine artists strive on pursuing what they feel lead to pursue. It's not really something that they can manufacture, and when they do, the result / production ends up sounding like it's been manufactured and usually lacks the magic / zeal. 

My suggestion Is to have a "what if" perspective about whichever artists that you're fans of. Entertain those "what if" ideas. If any of those ideas that you come up with ends up standing out in your mind and if you can't stop thinking about it, perhaps you, yourself should consider trying to create something that seems most similar to whichever idea it is that develop in your mind, and be appreciative of the fact that that artist had such a strong influence on you that inspired you to want to create something yourself.

Sorry if I sound like I'm scolding you. I have a lot of respect for these guys. The older I get the more appreciation I have for what they've done, along with how much influence that their creative works have had on me in my own life. 

Back to the specific subject -- Tak and Mike. 

From my understanding, Tak is hanging out in India and Mike is constantly flying around in Linkin Park aircraft signing autographs or whatever lol. 

By the way, I don't condone the use of Napster. I wound up getting a job at Chick-Fil-A later that year and bought every Styles of Beyond release that was for sale within a 100 mile radius, which was one CD release of ideal records release of 2000 Fold lol. -- take that, admins! 😆

4 hours ago, Bense said:

Whoa. Hang on now. 

This is my first post on this site, however I've been following SOB avidly as a fan since I first heard "Style Warz" in a 411 VHS Skateboard video in 1999 or 2000. 

Style Warz was quite literally the FIRST MP3 that I ever downloaded of the Internet using a computer that my older brother had built for my mom (a 486 DX 166!) and I remember my brother showing me how to end as many tasks in windows 98 so that the computer would be capable of playing back that song without interruption / locking up with the heads on that harddrive SCREAMING because windows was trying to move data from RAM to the page file. -- then connecting a cassette tape recorder to the audio out port on that PC's sound card recording that song you a blank tape, then taking that cassette tape out of that recorder and placing it into another dual cassette stereo, and recording my cassette tape recording onto ANOTHER cassette tape, multiple times, so that I could listen to Style Warz on repeat WITHOUT having to rewind! 

Hopefully that story helps give me enough credibility to justify making such an audacious first post on this forum (I'm half way kidding here) - but for any of you fans to flat out say that an artist hates another artist, is, in my opinion out of line. Y'all gotta respect these artists if you want to consider yourself as legitimate fans. 

In regards to SOB & Mike Shinoda -- if you look at the cover art of the very first SOB release, the 1997 Killer Instinct vinyl single, Mike Shinoda is credited for the artwork. So, from everything that's my stupid ass in South Carolina (the REAL 'SC', who's never even been to Southern California) has been able to observe, Mike Shinoda was part of the SOB crew from the very beginning. 

Now -- look at difference in the paths that all of the individuals credited on that first 1997 release -- how many of them have pursued and traveled the exact same path? Genuine artists strive on pursuing what they feel lead to pursue. It's not really something that they can manufacture, and when they do, the result / production ends up sounding like it's been manufactured and usually lacks the magic / zeal. 

My suggestion Is to have a "what if" perspective about whichever artists that you're fans of. Entertain those "what if" ideas. If any of those ideas that you come up with ends up standing out in your mind and if you can't stop thinking about it, perhaps you, yourself should consider trying to create something that seems most similar to whichever idea it is that develop in your mind, and be appreciative of the fact that that artist had such a strong influence on you that inspired you to want to create something yourself.

Sorry if I sound like I'm scolding you. I have a lot of respect for these guys. The older I get the more appreciation I have for what they've done, along with how much influence that their creative works have had on me in my own life. 

Back to the specific subject -- Tak and Mike. 

From my understanding, Tak is hanging out in India and Mike is constantly flying around in Linkin Park aircraft signing autographs or whatever lol. 

By the way, I don't condone the use of Napster. I wound up getting a job at Chick-Fil-A later that year and bought every Styles of Beyond release that was for sale within a 100 mile radius, which was one CD release of ideal records release of 2000 Fold lol. -- take that, admins! 😆

Chat GPT ? lol

37 minutes ago, BeardyWilderness said:

Probably ChatGPT to help with wording the post, but I’m fairly sure it came from a real person.

But the person didn't really provide anything to the argument on why Mike and Tak don't talk to each other or are pissed or whatever :D. It starts like they know something that wasn't mentioned so far and then rambles on without any new context or am I missing something?

13 minutes ago, Trumtram said:

But the person didn't really provide anything to the argument on why Mike and Tak don't talk to each other or are pissed or whatever :D. It starts like they know something that wasn't mentioned so far and then rambles on without any new context or am I missing something?

Just sounds like Geki with GPt haha

Definitely not ChatGPT. 
I typed everything out on my phone while procrastinating working on a Honda transmission (some of the parts within it came from a salvage (junkyard) transmission) that I had in front of me on my workbench. 

While I was typing that message, my brain was recalling certain memories that I did not realize that I had.
The part about remembering my brother showing me how to close applications on windows 95 (not win 98 like I mentioned before) (to free up memory so that winamp would have enough memory to playback the mp3. I got excited remembering all of that.

I am 41, born 1983. My introduction to SOB was from watching this skateboard video. https://www.skatevideosite.com/videos/411vm-issue-38

On 7/14/2024 at 9:33 AM, JZLP-NaughtyNottingham said:

Chat GPT ? lol

I think that this might be equivalent to 'okay grandpa' lol. 

Planned on typing more, but I've got to go take care of some things. I'm gonna go ahead an post what I've written. 

Question for you younger fans, do y'all understand or know the significance of skateboard VHS videos during this time period? I included that URL and then realized that, while this may be common knowledge for someone my age, you younger fans might (understandably) have no clue about what I'm referring to. 

8 hours ago, Rokaito said:

Okay,I don't mean to be rude,nor disrespectful at all,since I've been taught to be respectful, but we're wondering about anything Mike and Tak not talking to each other or if they still have some sort of beef 😅

Haha, yeah. We got a lot of rambly words but nothing about that at all.

17 hours ago, Trumtram said:

PAY UP!! 😂

On 7/15/2024 at 8:22 PM, Bense said:

I think that this might be equivalent to 'okay grandpa' lol.

Genuinely thought you were fake out of nowhere at first, because you're also dealing with many massive SOB/Shinoda fans around here obviously. It's all good. 

Like I said, we don't REALLY know what's going on with them aside of their public image, whatever they might share with us.

21 hours ago, BeardyWilderness said:

PAY UP!! 😂

I concur lol jk.

Edited by RentEznor

Honestly? I'm still not convinced that he is a real person :D. It's been days and multiple posts and we still didn't get any new insights. Just ramblings of old times.
It sucks that we live in an age where we have to consider AI-made stuff for everything but hey.

So... @Bense

Could you please stop rambling and get to the point?

3 hours ago, Trumtram said:

Honestly? I'm still not convinced that he is a real person :D. It's been days and multiple posts and we still didn't get any new insights. Just ramblings of old times.
It sucks that we live in an age where we have to consider AI-made stuff for everything but hey.

So... @Bense

Could you please stop rambling and get to the point?

ChatGPT command:  Write a long weird comment, let them know that im an old man and that I love Styles of Beyond since day 1, add some random facts about that band.

On 7/17/2024 at 10:24 AM, BeardyWilderness said:

Is this the correct way to welcome new members, guys? 

+1

294c6630-3a1a-4c4c-bf48-fbc49b21a031_tex

Bense has been one of the pillars of SOBC since the beginning, and is in fact, a real person.

On 7/18/2024 at 10:34 PM, JayS said:

+1

294c6630-3a1a-4c4c-bf48-fbc49b21a031_tex

Bense has been one of the pillars of SOBC since the beginning, and is in fact, a real person.

Thanks for the info/confirmation, random staff person.

And sorry for being critical with Bense, but my point still stands. It felt like a non-coherent AI rambling, I guess everyone can follow that.

I'm curious to get a fresh/unknown perspective on the conflict between SOB and Mike. It's been more than a week now and still nothing. I thought a lot about skatevideos and nostalgia, though.

@Bense

Sorry, if our skepticism turned you away. Have a good time on here and feel free to drop your knowledge on anything you see fit. We all appreciate it! Greetings from an almost 40 year old dude ;).