Why LP and/or Warner have always professionally recorded (in video) so many shows?

bloodbath

Hi everyone, title sums it up, but I'll expand my ideas here anyway. From the Docklands Arena show back in 2001, to the 02 Arena '17 the band has professionally filmed a relatively huge amount of shows. And I'm talking about stuff worth of Live DVDs that can be commercially viable for mainstream audiences but most of them are shelved in the vault. Bands like Metallica have an enormous quantity of live material, but the 80% of that is mostly composed of venue feeds and SBD raw audio, which is more aligned with the hardcore fans. I was surprised that 2 shows from the PR02 were hidden up until this day, and with the upcoming boxset, I wonder how many shows throughout the years could have been filmed. Creating a DVD isn't so simple as put some recording gear in the mixing desk and let it running, that shit is expensive, so then why just record it if you're not going to use it at the end of the day?

Starting in the ATS era, the band recorded video of every show they performed. In the MTM era, they started recording audio of every show they performed. This is common amongst really large bands - Foo Fighters and Metallica have done this for a while.

There are two different types of recordings the bands do. It's common for the large bands to take the house feeds (shown on the video screens) at their own headlining shows and then also take the festival proshots, sometimes with a few more camera angles, that they are entitled to as the headliner in their contracts. These aren't great feeds usually. They work and are fine but they aren't like, ready-to-press to DVD style tapes. That is why Metallica is just webcasting theirs online and allowing fans to see them. Linkin Park's Numb video from 2017 is from the house feeds. The Birmingham 2017 videos that leaked are from them too.

It's a different situation when the bands bring in recording gear to professionally film a show from a lot of angles. Linkin Park has not done the latter that much in their career to our knowledge, but then again, we don't have full access to their vault. They filmed the London O2 Arena show in 2017, Chester's second to last show. They will likely release that one day.

Meteora 20 may be a mix of the house feeds for some shows and real professionally filmed, ready to go live DVDs. They probably only professionally shot a few shows themselves in the Meteora era. We know of Detroit 2003 for MTV, Live in Texas in 2003 for the band to release and they likely filmed a few shows before it to prep the DVD angles and stuff... this is common too when a DVD is going to be filmed, and I always guessed they filmed a Meteora 2004 arena show since they filmed Projekt Revolution 2002. It appears they may not have. Maybe they filmed Denver 2004 like that instead during the summer time. Seoul 2003 is a MASSIVE stadium crowd and it looks like they filmed that with a few angles along with at least night 2 of Tokyo's Budokan. We will see how many angles that is and what it really looks like. Same for Manila 2004 and Philadelphia 2003. We really don't know the level of production until we see the videos in the box set - it could be a low level "take 2-3 feeds from something and put it out" (seems unlikely they would do that), something mid tier with a few more angles, or a full blast Live in Texas-style release.

The band probably didn't film a LOT of shows like that. There are some unreleased ones though that they did film with bigger production budgets - Berlin 2014, Beijing 2015, etc. Probably some from 2007-2013 that we do not know about. Basically, they put some of them out that they film with big time equipment and they sit on a few of them. They knew going in that they were going to release Road to Revolution in Milton Keynes.

We knew since 2003 that they filmed at least something from a PR02 show because there is a clip in the Meteora DVD of a 2002 show in great quality. It is a shame Docklands wasn't on the HT20 box set - they should at least put the full audio of that show out one day.

9 hours ago, LPLStaff said:

Starting in the ATS era, the band recorded video of every show they performed. In the MTM era, they started recording audio of every show they performed. This is common amongst really large bands - Foo Fighters and Metallica have done this for a while.

There are two different types of recordings the bands do. It's common for the large bands to take the house feeds (shown on the video screens) at their own headlining shows and then also take the festival proshots, sometimes with a few more camera angles, that they are entitled to as the headliner in their contracts. These aren't great feeds usually. They work and are fine but they aren't like, ready-to-press to DVD style tapes. That is why Metallica is just webcasting theirs online and allowing fans to see them. Linkin Park's Numb video from 2017 is from the house feeds. The Birmingham 2017 videos that leaked are from them too.

It's a different situation when the bands bring in recording gear to professionally film a show from a lot of angles. Linkin Park has not done the latter that much in their career to our knowledge, but then again, we don't have full access to their vault. They filmed the London O2 Arena show in 2017, Chester's second to last show. They will likely release that one day.

Meteora 20 may be a mix of the house feeds for some shows and real professionally filmed, ready to go live DVDs. They probably only professionally shot a few shows themselves in the Meteora era. We know of Detroit 2003 for MTV, Live in Texas in 2003 for the band to release and they likely filmed a few shows before it to prep the DVD angles and stuff... this is common too when a DVD is going to be filmed, and I always guessed they filmed a Meteora 2004 arena show since they filmed Projekt Revolution 2002. It appears they may not have. Maybe they filmed Denver 2004 like that instead during the summer time. Seoul 2003 is a MASSIVE stadium crowd and it looks like they filmed that with a few angles along with at least night 2 of Tokyo's Budokan. We will see how many angles that is and what it really looks like. Same for Manila 2004 and Philadelphia 2003. We really don't know the level of production until we see the videos in the box set - it could be a low level "take 2-3 feeds from something and put it out" (seems unlikely they would do that), something mid tier with a few more angles, or a full blast Live in Texas-style release.

The band probably didn't film a LOT of shows like that. There are some unreleased ones though that they did film with bigger production budgets - Berlin 2014, Beijing 2015, etc. Probably some from 2007-2013 that we do not know about. Basically, they put some of them out that they film with big time equipment and they sit on a few of them. They knew going in that they were going to release Road to Revolution in Milton Keynes.

We knew since 2003 that they filmed at least something from a PR02 show because there is a clip in the Meteora DVD of a 2002 show in great quality. It is a shame Docklands wasn't on the HT20 box set - they should at least put the full audio of that show out one day.

That's a really great answer! Thanks for that

so apparently the dvd we received in HT20 from PR 02' was the dvd they had in mind to release at that time.

I just wonder, why did they cut the lines between songs and why did they mix up the san diego and vegas footage?
it would have given a different perspective to watch the full uncut show, anyway we finally have footage from PR02', but maybe someday we'll get another PR02 show 100% complete.

Summer Sonic 06' is still the holy grail, I don't know if the band would ever release it, it would be amazing.

8 hours ago, felipeintheend said:

PR02 videos were originally filmed for a DVD. With too many things going on back then, they decided to not release it.

That makes sense. Probably with Reanimation and then the band was finishing Meteora that year, they didn't want too many releases out there at once.

7 hours ago, thigolpbr said:

so apparently the dvd we received in HT20 from PR 02' was the dvd they had in mind to release at that time.

I just wonder, why did they cut the lines between songs and why did they mix up the san diego and vegas footage?
it would have given a different perspective to watch the full uncut show, anyway we finally have footage from PR02', but maybe someday we'll get another PR02 show 100% complete.

Summer Sonic 06' is still the holy grail, I don't know if the band would ever release it, it would be amazing.

Yeah, agreed about the talking being cut. It's very strange and takes away from the listening experience. Glad we have the DVD but yes, one with the band talking would be great. They have that epic speech by Chester before My December that is cut out of the DVD and pasted into the The Sequel DVD. It looks like judging by The Sequel DVD, they may have more PR02 footage possibly of another show. And then Colorado Springs, maybe that was filmed too. We will see one day! :) Glad we have the show on HT20 though.

Yes - Summer Sonic 06 is absolutely epic. I was afraid if it wasn't on Meteora 20 then it maybe wouldn't ever be released. We will have to wait a few years, but maybe they'd put it out in 2026. Who knows. But man, that's an epic one.

58 minutes ago, LPLStaff said:

That makes sense. Probably with Reanimation and then the band was finishing Meteora that year, they didn't want too many releases out there at once.

Yeah, agreed about the talking being cut. It's very strange and takes away from the listening experience. Glad we have the DVD but yes, one with the band talking would be great. They have that epic speech by Chester before My December that is cut out of the DVD and pasted into the The Sequel DVD. It looks like judging by The Sequel DVD, they may have more PR02 footage possibly of another show. And then Colorado Springs, maybe that was filmed too. We will see one day! :) Glad we have the show on HT20 though.

That show too??? For having "barely" 17 years of touring as signed artist, the LP live vault must be impressive

3 hours ago, LPLStaff said:

Yes - Summer Sonic 06 is absolutely epic. I was afraid if it wasn't on Meteora 20 then it maybe wouldn't ever be released. We will have to wait a few years, but maybe they'd put it out in 2026. Who knows. But man, that's an epic one.

in 2026 the band could release Summer sonic and also give a gift to the Lplive community for the 20th :)
It would be a great gift for everyone ;)