Mike Shinoda Interview w/ Apple Music (Strombo)

LPLStaff

Mike was recently interviewed by Strombo on Apple Music, and here's the recap.

- Strombo said on Summer Sanitarium 2003, he was interviewing Mike and Chester in Toronto. When it came time to end the interview, they discovered Fred from Limp Bizkit wasn't going to come off of his bus to do an interview so Mike and Chester gladly stayed an extra 40 minutes to fill the time with a very long interview, just before Linkin Park had to go to Boston for the next show of the tour.

- Mike was not a big fan of the idea of releasing a Hybrid Theory 20 package. LP management pitched him the idea but he was like, "I wasn't into it in the beginning." He said, "Really? 20 years? I don't know. Why now?" He said once old photos, flyers, etc came up, he then liked the idea. 

- Mike tells a story from when he and Brad talked in 1998 about having good musical ideas and it'd be a waste if no one heard them. He said they decided from the ground up, the way the band records and sounds they use, they wanted to find ways to push the boundaries with sounds and make people a little uncomfortable when listening to it. Rap/rock was starting at the time but a lot of it was "macho." 

- The band would mail out street team materials with cassette tapes, etc before they toured and on their first tour ever they would show up and see 20-30 LP fans in line outside the shows.

- About Chester passing away and how Linkin Park is dealing with it: "It's more like losing a brother or best friend. Not only did we spend an insane amount of time together, but also we built something." / "We built that together - it's an identity. Like, who are you? We are Linkin Park. And we did that together. Linkin Park is a part of all of our DNA, so when that got fractured and taken apart in a sense, I don't think anybody could really understand because you can't really relate that to anything else, it's not just family, it's not just friends, it's not just brotherhood, it's not just business... it's all of those things wrapped together. For better or worse, that could be something that is not very healthy but you also can't do it any other way. In order to be a band, and be this successful, and exist for this many years as like a highly functional unit of guys, it had to be that way. With that said, I think that there are parts of our relationships and our well being that we are doing so well... I'm super proud of everybody and how everybody's done and coped with things and adapted. And also parts where it's like, "Yeah, we could probably do better." Whether it's just like having bad days or... I don't know. It's a very personal subject. I don't think any of us are at liberty or would even be able to explain this to anybody. You could spend years on it and still not crack the surface of what all of that emotion is."

3 minutes ago, LPLStaff said:

Mike was recently interviewed by Strombo on Apple Music, and here's the recap.

- Strombo said on Summer Sanitarium 2003, he was interviewing Mike and Chester in Toronto. When it came time to end the interview, they discovered Fred from Limp Bizkit wasn't going to come off of his bus to do an interview so Mike and Chester gladly stayed an extra 40 minutes to fill the time with a very long interview, just before Linkin Park had to go to Boston for the next show of the tour.

- Mike was not a big fan of the idea of releasing a Hybrid Theory 20 package. LP management pitched him the idea but he was like, "I wasn't into it in the beginning." He said, "Really? 20 years? I don't know. Why now?" He said once old photos, flyers, etc came up, he then liked the idea. 

- Mike tells a story from when he and Brad talked in 1998 about having good musical ideas and it'd be a waste if no one heard them. He said they decided from the ground up, the way the band records and sounds they use, they wanted to find ways to push the boundaries with sounds and make people a little uncomfortable when listening to it. Rap/rock was starting at the time but a lot of it was "macho." 

- The band would mail out street team materials with cassette tapes, etc before they toured and on their first tour ever they would show up and see 20-30 LP fans in line outside the shows.

- About Chester passing away and how Linkin Park is dealing with it: "It's more like losing a brother or best friend. Not only did we spend an insane amount of time together, but also we built something." / "We built that together - it's an identity. Like, who are you? We are Linkin Park. And we did that together. Linkin Park is a part of all of our DNA, so when that got fractured and taken apart in a sense, I don't think anybody could really understand because you can't really relate that to anything else, it's not just family, it's not just friends, it's not just brotherhood, it's not just business... it's all of those things wrapped together. For better or worse, that could be something that is not very healthy but you also can't do it any other way. In order to be a band, and be this successful, and exist for this many years as like a highly functional unit of guys, it had to be that way. With that said, I think that there are parts of our relationships and our well being that we are doing so well... I'm super proud of everybody and how everybody's done and coped with things and adapted. And also parts where it's like, "Yeah, we could probably do better." Whether it's just like having bad days or... I don't know. It's a very personal subject. I don't think any of us are at liberty or would even be able to explain this to anybody. You could spend years on it and still not crack the surface of what all of that emotion is."

God the last answer..... ;(