which songs should have entered the hybrid theory

PartOfMe

Carousel is my favorite pre-album song so I choose that one. However I didn’t like what they did to the song after the HTEP version because it became way less dark and the vocals lost so much energy. 

And One is another good one. I could see it fitting well with the composition used in live shows for it.

4 hours ago, sordomuda said:

I Like Part Of Me the most but i am not sure if it would fit. And One i think would fit the most. 

I agree And One would fit. If they recorded a studio version of the one they played live in 2000-2002 it would fit very well. It’s such a great song.

I guess I was just trying to say that none of the pre-Hybrid Theory (album) songs really fit the style of Hybrid Theory. The closest would be the remixed version of High Voltage (since it was actually intended for the album at some point) but I feel like even that would feel very out of place on that album.

12 hours ago, JZLP said:

The HTEP songs are as dark as By Myself so they fit easily with the rest of the album. 

Some do IMO, and some don’t. For example, I think Technique, Step Up and the original High Voltage don’t really fit because they’re very hip hop driven, more so than any of the stuff on Hybrid Theory. You could argue that CFTI is too but it’s a bit different. Now, the reworked version of High Voltage that was cut from the album with the CFTI transition would have worked because it fit the sound better. It’s more the beat of the old one and the style of it that wouldn’t have fit IMO.

Carousel, And One and Part Of Me are the big rock songs of the release. And One I think would fit the best, especially the version they were playing live during the HT shows, because the HTEP version has the rap outro and that wouldn’t fit the style of the album. Carousel would have worked if they kept it sounding more like the HTEP version, the versions after it changed the whole vibe and atmosphere of the song drastically, it made it sound almost poppy in some ways, while the HTEP version is extremely dark and menacing sounding, very hard vocals in the chorus that are amazing, and would fit with stuff like the hard vocals on the final Crawling, etc. Part Of Me I think would fit well, has the vibe of the album and I think a cross between the more finished version with the screaming of the ‘’cut myself free’’ vocals and maybe the style of the chorus on the HTEP version would work good. Of course the hidden track would be cut, as epic as it is, it would not fit. 

As for other demos from the era, I think Slip would have fit on the album if they had tuned it up more and re-recorded vocals. The rest I can’t really see fitting, even though there are great songs like So Far Away and She Couldn’t, they were too ahead of their time to make the album IMO. 

And one last thing, n00bs always say My December, but that song was written months after the album was finished, so it makes no sense, and it doesn’t fit with the style of the album anyways as epic as it is. It’s more of a re-release bonus track if anything. 

1 hour ago, Garret said:

Some do IMO, and some don’t. For example, I think Technique, Step Up and the original High Voltage don’t really fit because they’re very hip hop driven, more so than any of the stuff on Hybrid Theory. You could argue that CFTI is too but it’s a bit different. Now, the reworked version of High Voltage that was cut from the album with the CFTI transition would have worked because it fit the sound better. It’s more the beat of the old one and the style of it that wouldn’t have fit IMO.

Carousel, And One and Part Of Me are the big rock songs of the release. And One I think would fit the best, especially the version they were playing live during the HT shows, because the HTEP version has the rap outro and that wouldn’t fit the style of the album. Carousel would have worked if they kept it sounding more like the HTEP version, the versions after it changed the whole vibe and atmosphere of the song drastically, it made it sound almost poppy in some ways, while the HTEP version is extremely dark and menacing sounding, very hard vocals in the chorus that are amazing, and would fit with stuff like the hard vocals on the final Crawling, etc. Part Of Me I think would fit well, has the vibe of the album and I think a cross between the more finished version with the screaming of the ‘’cut myself free’’ vocals and maybe the style of the chorus on the HTEP version would work good. Of course the hidden track would be cut, as epic as it is, it would not fit. 

As for other demos from the era, I think Slip would have fit on the album if they had tuned it up more and re-recorded vocals. The rest I can’t really see fitting, even though there are great songs like So Far Away and She Couldn’t, they were too ahead of their time to make the album IMO. 

And one last thing, n00bs always say My December, but that song was written months after the album was finished, so it makes no sense, and it doesn’t fit with the style of the album anyways as epic as it is. It’s more of a re-release bonus track if anything. 

I agree on that. I also always have And One live version cause its more epic and i listen to it more often. 
From Part of me i love cut myself free part the most lol. It would suit HT very much. Lyrically and musically. 
She Couldnt and So far away are totally different. I was always actually shocked they made songs like this during that era. She couldnt was almost different genre and so far away with Mike on vocals gives me so much hope for new rock album lol. 
My December was Def more mature imo. Doesnt fit HT at all plus it was recorded later as you have said. 
I like High Voltage its epic but I prefer love version over any studio version of if. 
i dont know why but Step up would fit Meteora somehow. 
Carousel would fit but i would rework music a bit. Maybe more guitars. 

Edited by sordomuda

Hybrid Theory B-Sides could be:

Carousel

Technique

Step Up

And One

High Voltage (2000 Reprise)

Part Of Me

Dedicated

She Couldn’t

Slip

Blue (Even though part of it became Crawing)

So Far Away

My December (Even though it was recorded after the album was done)

For Meteora I will say the only B-Side that we have is A.06 from LPU2. 

Edited by JamesMaloy