A Night at the Hollywood Bowl

hahninator

In the weeks leading up to the show, there was an air of uncertainty in the fanbase about the impending performance at the Hollywood Bowl. Could Linkin Park even perform well as just five members just a few months after Chester’s passing? Or would the band take ahold of the show, concoct something epic, and leave us speechless? People were split but the second option turned out to be one hundred percent accurate and we were all left with a show that we will remember for the rest of our lives.

Walking up to the Hollywood Bowl hours before doors opening, we were greeted with an impressive sight - thousands of Linkin Park fans from around the world had met at the venue REALLY early to hang out, meet up, and celebrate Chester and the one thing that they all shared - a common, strong love for Linkin Park and Chester.

There were cover artists with fans singing, there was a massive wall dedicated to Chester that fans could sign, and ribbons were being passed out with lines from One More Light, Invisible, and The Messenger. And the icing on the cake... the Chester memorial banners from Warner Bros HQ, which were taken down due to the tragic passing of Tom Petty. They were hung up outside of the venue so fans could take pictures with them, which meant a lot to those who came from across the world that didn’t get a chance to see them in July, August, and September.

We met fans from Brazil, Argentina, Peru, Germany, Italy, Japan, New Zealand, China, England, Mexico, and over half of the U.S., just to name a few. There were fans who had met each other online via the LP Underground over a decade ago that were able to meet in person for the first time and hundreds of stories very similar. Older adults, younger children, people who had seen Linkin Park over seventy times and people who had never seen Linkin Park - everyone was there. Chester probably had no idea and Linkin Park probably has no idea, but the impact they had and continue to have on so many lives is immeasurable.

What Linkin Park has built as a band is something more than family, something more than just friends. Their fanbase is truly unique for such a large act. Chester selflessly wore his heart on his sleeve as a musician and father and it reflects with the fanbase. Since day one, Linkin Park has made their fans a priority and it truly showed on Friday. For being an incredibly popular band, Linkin Park has always remained in touch with their fans and prioritizes them greatly.

The band has not been seen publicly together at all since Chester’s passing, but what did they do on Thursday after their production rehearsal? They headed outside of the venue to meet and socialize with fans that had traveled in for the show. Linkin Park has zero obligation to meet anyone, especially in a time that requires great privacy, but they stuck around and met fans on both Thursday and again Friday after the show. It’s almost unheard of in music.

Starting earlier in the week before the show, fans flew in from across the world to host their own meetups at famous Linkin Park “landmarks” around Los Angeles. From the Griffith Observatory, to the Rock Walk at Guitar Center and many more, the entire week felt like a celebration. How many other bands can say they have a similarly grand respect FROM their fanbase? Not many. Thousands of fans from across the world even coordinated a pink glowstick movement for the performance of One More Light that turned out beautiful. During Chester’s Birmingham, England speech that played during the show, people from different walks of life that spoke different languages were hugging each other, crying, and celebrating life.

And that is what the true meaning of the show was intended to be. That, combined with all of the surprises and guests made the night truly something special and rounded out an evening that Chester would undoubtedly be very proud of. Great job to Linkin Park, the guests, and the fans that attended from every corner of the globe.

It was great meeting people from the board as well as from FB, and to see all these "strangers" looking out for each other. What an incredible weekend. So much positivity.

Short of the event that led to this concert, I'm sure this is what the band envisioned when they first thought of doing an LPU summit.

I still can't believe we were like three seats down from each other and didn't realize it until after the show. It was so good to finally meet you. I have LP to thank for so much good in my life and I will never forget Friday night. The whole show was incredible.

Nicely written! Wasn't there in person, but I really enjoyed the show watching the livestream. I think this night not only helped the band move on, it helped the fans move on as well.

It was going to, I believe Rob said it in the intro clip, be really healing for them and us fans to see them perform and them seeing us being happy to see them on stage again after Chester's passing.

They realized, but certainly know, that they need us as much as we need them to perform.

Thanks for putting this into words!

My friend and I came from Germany and we met so many Fans on the streets, we had a lot of great conversations and it felt so awesome to be in one place with countless Fans for this.

I'm still speechless about this whole trip and I don't think I'll ever be able to describe how I'm feeling, but you did great :D