''What I've Done Shit''

Geki

This is a post I've been wanting to make since like 2010. I always see fans citing Mike for saying ''I'm not on some What I've Done shit'' from the Meeting Of A Thousand Suns DVD as if he was saying that What I've Done is some garbage radio song. That is not what Mike meant at all by that, and it's extremely obvious.

The band was talking about how they didn't yet have a ''big single'' for A Thousand Suns, as Rick pointed out. You can hear the entire conversation if you listen. But Brad flat out says that.

Now, I'm sure many people know that Mike Shinoda literally went home in ONE NIGHT and wrote What I've Done, or ''Bang Three''. He brought it into the studio the very next day, Chester recorded his vocals, and it was done. It went on to become one of the band's biggest singles of their entire career, and also caught the interest of Michael Bay a few months later, who wanted to use the song in Transformers.

So now, I'm sure you can piece together what he meant. He couldn't go home and just write a huge single just like that. His quote was ''I'm not on some What I've Done shit, like if that's what you're expecting, like that's all I've got''.

I'm not sure why people think that he thought it meant it was some garbage song, but yeah. I hope this thread can clear that up for many people.

I knew he never meant that What I've Done was a garbage song, but I DID think he meant that he wasn't making a radio rock song in the vain of What I've Done, since it was during that process that they kept saying they were intentionally making songs that nobody would expect from LP. Your explanation actually did clear it up for me.

I knew he never meant that What I've Done was a garbage song, but I DID think he meant that he wasn't making a radio rock song in the vain of What I've Done, since it was during that process that they kept saying they were intentionally making songs that nobody would expect from LP. Your explanation actually did clear it up for me.

Well, I guess I don't mean that Mike thought What I've Done was a garbage song, but a lot of the people who reference that part of the ATS DVD always see to imply it. But yeah, I see what you mean. Basically, the band was frustrated because the label were trying to push them to have a big single for the album, and they didn't think anything that they had yet was such. If I'm not mistaken, that's what the label thought in 2007 also, so Mike made What I've Done which ended up becoming huge.

Mike always sayd controversal things, like the direct attack to Cvrches back in 2014. He s a creative genious and expresses his thoughts with passion

I don't think that he attacked them, actually he praised them for being unique... I found out about Chvrches cause it was in a Mike's spotify playlist and because of him I love them so much.

I think it was just a raw away of expressing that "running away from anything that sounds like Linkin Park" thing that was going on at the time, plus we know the ATS process was very stressful at some moments. Can anyone remind me when he says this in the meeting of ATS?

I don't think that he attacked them, actually he praised them for being unique... I found out about Chvrches cause it was in a Mike's spotify playlist and because of him I love them so much.

I think he was and was a bit hypocritical with what he said considering he's in a mainstream band

• 2 weeks later...

What's funny is that What I've Done has now become the band's most successful song of their entire career in the charts. It was always my favorite Linkin Park song by far from the first minute that I heard it, but this is cool to me.

What? In the End and Numb aren't bigger than What I've Done? New Divide?

Check the charts. It says What I've Done has now become their most successful song of all time in terms of charts. In The End and Numb are probably more well known, though, if that makes sense. New Divide I don't really think is that popular.

maybe because Minutes To Midnight is the only one LP album that was at number 1 all around the world

Yes, that and the fact that What I've Done was huge in 2007 when it dropped. The live performance of it from RTR was even nominated for a Grammy in 2010 or something, anyone remember that? I'll try and find where I read that it has now become their most successful single, it was some article about how LP is back in the charts now.

I remember burning that preview clip of WID to a cd. (It was like 30 seconds long) And repeating it as I drove around haha.

Same here!!! Actually, I can remember the very first time I heard a clip of the song. I was in my 11th Grade English class in High School and I noticed that Verizon had uploaded a 30 second preview of the chorus. It was probably elsewhere online at that moment, too, but it was pretty soon after it surfaced. I asked to go to the bathroom and I listened to it on my phone in a hallway. Haha. I was like this is badass. Then of course, hearing the song for the first time in full, I was at my Dad's house with my best friend at the time and we downloaded it and played it together. Was a special moment for sure.