Comments about the new album

Let's merge every comment the band or people that are close to the band has said about the new album, help would be appreciated.

Warren Willis (Joe Hahn tech)

''Mike Shinoda is taking rock music to another level'' (LPU Chat)

''The band is experimenting with 8 string guitars, so some songs could be heavy'' (LPU Chat)

Mike Shinoda

''The band is trying all kinds of things we haven’t before. First of all, we’re not in the same studio. All our previous albums (except MTM) were recorded at the same studio; this album is not being done there. All our previous albums were done with a producer at the helm; this album has largely been self-produced. We normally write in a organized and regimented style, recorded into the computer; this album has been the product of a mix of focused experimentation and free form jamming. We’re even tracking parts to tape instead of going exclusively digital.'' (Mike's blog)

Full info.

Chester

-''I think we are really excited about this record just because i know that the music that we are making is fun for us to make'' (Fuse interview)

-''Wholly FUCK Bradcis killing it in the studio right now!!'' (Twitter)

-''Geki: How is the new LP album going? I cant wait.

Chester: It's going great man. The new stuff is fucking heavy as shit dude. It is honestly the heaviest stuff that we have ever done by far. You guys are gonna love it, I can't wait for everyone to hear it.

Geki: When is it going to be out?

Chester: It's going to be coming out soon, we are working really hard on it.'' (Porsche Design M&G

Edited by LIИKIИ JŽЁ

Chester is aware that he made the comment before with MTM, but here is another comment from Chester about the heaviness of the album.

At the same time, working with Mike [shinoda], the guy's so prolific and he has such good vision and he's been listening to a lot of really great punk and metal music that I have a feeling -- I've made the mistake of saying this before, when we were making Minutes to Midnight, I was doing this interview and at the time we were writing really, really heavy music and I said, "It's going to be the heaviest record we've ever made!" And then it came out and it was just not heavy; it was, like, the opposite.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ches...rick-how-629638

This is what Austin Carlile from Of Mice & Men recently said in an interview. We know he is friend with Mike but this is some cool info.

You guys are keeping hard rock alive...

Oli Sykes: We're trying to!

Austin Carlile: We're trying to get the torch passed. I was recently with Mike Shinoda, and we were talking about that. I want the torch. I want rock music to come back. The bands back in the day were the biggest. Those numbers of records sold don't exist anymore, but I feel like people still love the music just the same. I think they're just waiting for artists to come out with albums like that. That's why everybody likes Bring Me The Horizon's record so much because it does that. It's new, and it's good. That's what we hope they do with our new album too.

http://www.artistdirect.com/entertainment-...arlile/10864001

Also, in this interview with Mike, about 2 minutes in, he also talks about how they said MTM would be heavy and it ended up not being heavy. He gives no other info about the sound. But why would he bring up that exact thing if the new music didn't remind him of it being heavy? Lol.

Kevin & Bean interview with STP from 2013.

''I was in the studio yesterday with the boys from Linkin Park and we happen to be writing some pretty mellow music that I was screaming my brains out to until 10 o' clock last night''

EDIT: Here is a link http://kroq.cbslocal.com/stone-temple-pilo...ic-performance/

Edited by Geki

a interview with Mike:

AltWire/LPA [Derek]: Maintaining the drive to continually record and produce music seems like it would be a difficult challenge in the long run. Who or what inspires you to continue the work that you do, and where do you look for motivation these days?

Mike Shinoda [Linkin Park]: When it was our first or second album, we had a more limited scope of the aspects of what we do. And it went beyond writing and recording; I’m talking about the whole picture–how a release and an experience feels to a fan. In general, as we’ve made more albums and experimented with many things both in and out of the studio, we learn how to be better artists, better songwriters, better performers, better designers, better community builders, better communicators. I wouldn’t say we “raise the bar” each time, or that every move we’ve made is better than the last. It’s often all about the journey, taking risks, and enjoying what we’re doing at the time. But while we’re doing that, we strive to innovate and achieve.

AW: You recently made some very interesting comments on the state of rock music, and how the genre has gone soft. Are you unsatisfied with the current version of rock music?

M: The question is, what’s “rock” right now? Mumford and Sons? Capital Cities? AVICII? Vampire Weekend? Lorde? Arcade Fire has basically gone disco, and Trent Reznor spends too much of the new Nine Inch Nails album whispering–and I truly like all these bands, I’m just saying there’s something missing. I guess it doesn’t have to be “rock,” but I’m at a loss for something else I’d call it. I’m looking for ferocity, innovation, and energy without giving up songwriting, sophistication, and craftsmanship. It’s a tall order; even if we’re able to address it on our next Linkin Park album, it’ll take more than one band to really move the needle.

AW: Just two songs from your first five studio albums have eclipsed the 5-minute mark in length. In the future, are you open to writing longer songs and worrying about radio edits afterwards?

M: Sure, I’m open. It’ll happen if it happens–I really don’t write a song to fit a certain time length. When we make a song, the song length is dictated by how the “story arc” of the song progresses.

AW: Is the process for the writing/recording of the next album any different this time around, with Chester off doing his own thing with STP? What challenges does this bring forth?

M: He knew what he was signing up for–it’s very hectic for him, but he’s making it work! I don’t think our progress has been negatively affected in any major way by the STP shows.

AW: You’ve been touring as Linkin Park for over 14 years now. How do you balance keeping your live setlists fresh for yourselves vs. appeasing the fans? Are you sick of playing One Step Closer yet?

M: I think Mike Einziger (or Incubus) said it best, I’ll paraphrase: when I’m onstage, I’m not thinking about what my hands are playing or how the notes go, I’m engrossed in the experience of connecting with the fans, on that stage in that city. So with that said, it kinda doesn’t matter what song we’re playing, as long as everyone is into it.

AW: Although you did do a short run of European Projekt Revolution shows in 2011, the last time we saw a full-scale Projekt Revolution tour was back in 2008. Are there any plans to bring back Projekt Revolution in the future?

M: I don’t know if that will come back in name, but I hope to do a more robust U.S. tour in the next couple of years. We’ve missed playing in a lot of places in the U.S. because there has been such incredible demand overseas. I suppose it’s a great problem to have!

AW: What have you taken away from the process of creating video games?

M: One side project I really enjoyed working on was the LPRecharge.com game. As you know, I was a visual artist before I was a musician–I majored in Illustration and design in art school, and always thought I’d be a designer or painter of some kind. I also grew up drawing video game characters like Mega Man, Samus from Metroid, or Mario and Luigi. So being able to create and sculpt the characters in RECHARGE was a dream come true.

AW: Your gear and instrument collection constantly evolves with each album cycle. What kind of gear are you working with in the studio right now? Anything new that might surprise some people?

M: I’m playing with a lot of different things; I don’t want to give away any surprises, because they might be a part of the next phase in our sound or tour. One interesting thing is that we’re expending off the usual platforms: we’re working on Mac and Windows, and we’re working in Ableton in addition to Protools. And we’re trying to get off of the computer as well, which is unusual for us.

DEATH METAL!!!

“I don’t personally know what Scott thinks of me fronting STP. Let’s put it this way: when my wife met me, she didn’t call my ex-wife and ask if it was okay. I care about Scott and I want nothing but the best for him, but at the same time I know that if I want my favorite band to be productive, then I’m the only guy who can do it.”

“I know that people may initially be sceptical because I’m not Scott. That’s natural. But for those who have seen us play together with their own eyes and heard our EP with their own ears – they believe it. For people who haven’t, and who don’t go to shows or listen to new material but still have opinions on us..well, [raises middle finger] they can kiss my ass. Listen to the EP; come see a show. This is a permanent arrangement, and I promise that you will believe that this is the future of STP.”

K!: So, Chester, what’s happening with Linkin Park?

Chester: We’ve written a lot of music for the new Linkin Park album; Mike’s written tons. When I got back from tour with STP, there was a lot for me to catch up with. They were playing me things, and I was like, ‘Dude, this is fucking awesome!’ The music has tons of energy – we basically want people to listen to it and go, ‘Really? They did that?!’ People will either love it or hate it. They’re the two preferred responses, and we have a real vision set out for this album.

K!: How will it sound then?

Chester: Before I left on tour with STP, everything that Mike had written was really dance-y and sounded kind of like electro. I loved it, and I said, ‘How about we start with this stuff and make it darker?’ and then I come back from tour…and it’s like death metal!(laughs). I just sat there listening, like, ‘Oh shit, this is awesome! So this is where we’re going with it? Cool, I’m down with that!’ Things will keep changing as we write – they always do!

K!: Are you really going to death metal?

Chester: That’s the most amazing thing about writing music in Linkin Park; we take such a massive variety of influences into demo sessions. It could be in any form, from Mike beatboxing into his phone to a completely finished song, complete with words. We take it all into the studio and work on it there, kinda stick to what they already do. I don’t imagine that Pantera ever took any pop-style beats into a recording session and said, ‘Let’s do this! We could pull this off!’ We’ve taken all sort of ideas into the studio this time, from acoustic folk songs to dupsteppy, crazy stuff with insane guitars…oh, and death metal complete with super-intricate drumming. In Linkin Park, we don’t give a shit what we’re doing, as long as it makes our ears perk up!

Edited by TheDamian58C

And in the end only the dubstep and folk songs will be on the album.

I think it went more in "death metal" direction, Rob said something about more active drum play on the last facebook chat. And the album making process is described as organic. Chester said he recorded some screaming vocals to the new album. Etc. So it doesn't seem it gonna be folk or dubstepish.

I think in recent months (especially this month when Chester told me it would be heavy as fucking shit) they have found more of the direction they want to go in. I don't think they knew the exact direction they wanted to take yet when they were experimenting with acoustic folk songs and dubstepey sounding songs. We will see. I think there will be some HEAVY shit on the new album.

Facebook Q & A with Rob Bourdon:

How would you describe the new material that the band is composing? Will you have a more active role in it?

Yes, we've been working on new music and I'm personally very excited about the direction of the new album. Its hard to tell exactly how its going to turn out at this time but we've been spending a lot of time together in the studio and I've done a lot of drumming over the last month. I would definitely say live drums have a more active role in what we are doing.

Thx for bringing all the info it's gonna be really interesting to read this topic when the new álbum comes out.

Wish we had a thread like this for other albums.

Thx for bringing all the info it's gonna be really interesting to read this topic when the new álbum comes out.

Wish we had a thread like this for other albums.