Hip-Hop and Linkin Park

Skipees

Recently, all the "hype" around LP doing EDM collaboration, and with all the discussion about the band's music style, brought me back to band's roots - Hip-Hop.

LP blended a lot of hip-hop in their music around Hybrid Thery and Meteora, they even released two remix/collborations albums - Reanimation and Collision Course. Then came up Minutes To Midnight with only two songs that contain rap verses (Hends Held High and Bleed It Out) and Mike "start" to sing. Later on A Thousand Suns when they drastically splited the album to alternative-rock and alternative-hip-hop songs. Finally they released Living Things, in this album they mix it all again.

So how much do you really care about the hip-hop elements in the band's music? Do you prefer Mike to sing or to rap? New hip-hop collaborations are welcome? Do you prefer intrumentals like Cure For The Itch and Session or more like Tinfoil?

I honestly never cared much for the hip-hop element in LP's music. Ever since I first heard LP in 2000, the thing that really made me love LP was Chester's voice and the rock element of LP. This is probably why MTM is my favorite LP album, it has the least amount of hip-hop influence on the album. I'm not saying Mike is bad at rapping and making beats and stuff, it's just that's not really my type of music.

(EDM is a bullshit word because all dance music nowdays is electronic. Also hip-hop is part of electronic music.)

The M2M and ATS lack of hip-hop releted stuff but LT tried to give back some of them like heavy beats with rap in Lies Greed Misery, Until It Breaks.

I thought ATS had a lot of hip-hop style beats actually. Just non conventional hip-hop beats. MTM was more of a raw alternative rock kind of sound for most of the album, that's why I said MTM had the least hip-hop influence.

There are 9 songs with vocals (exclude the interludes) in ATS, 4 of them are hip-hop songs.

A song can have hip-hop beats without any rapping, it can have singing/screaming/etc. I'm talking about beats, not vocals normally associated with hip-hop.

There are 9 songs with vocals (exclude the interludes) in ATS, 4 of them are hip-hop songs.

Blackout is hip-hop on drugs. Sweet, amazing drugs.

Hip-Hop is a big element in LP's music but they do incredibly without it. Granted I don't know what defines hip-hop but I'd say most of the songs that aren't hip-hop are probably my favorites.

What defines hip-hop? Are songs like APFMH and LITE technically hip-hop or just include rapping?

A song can have hip-hop beats without any rapping, it can have singing/screaming/etc.

Of course, I just compared MTM with 2 from 11 to ATS with 4 from 9.

Blackout is hip-hop on drugs. Sweet, amazing drugs.

Yeah, Blackout is different.

Are songs like APFMH and LITE technically hip-hop or just include rapping?

APFMH is nu-metal (="rap-rock"), and LITE is alternative-rock-hip-hop song.

• 2 weeks later...

When I started listening to LP, I wasn't really into the hip-hop bits nearly as much as the rock, as I didn't really like the genre as a whole. Now, I consider it an integral part of the band's sound. Partly perhaps because I've gained a greater appreciation for the genre as a whole, but to me the hip hop stuff just adds flavour to their music. I think they make better songs with a mix of styles than just straightforward rock songs, which explains why MTM is my least favourite LP album.

I think it helps that Mike is so damn good at it (The Rising Tied is one of my absolute favourite hip hop records). It never feels shoehorned in, the rapping and the hip hop beats have always felt very natural in Linkin Park songs, not like some other nu metal bands of their era.

EDM is fucking stupid. Not the music, but the term. It's like calling all rock, punk, metal, etc "guitar music."

People call to Rock, Punk and Metal genres - Rock.

For example, Metallica members are - "Rock Stars", not "Metal Stars".

As long as you're not working in the music industry it shouldn't bother you imo.

EDM is fucking stupid. Not the music, but the term. It's like calling all rock, punk, metal, etc "guitar music."

Not really. It's an umbrella term for genres like drum and bass, dubstep and house, in the same way metal, punk or hip-hop are umbrella terms for various subgenres.

Not all electronic music is EDM, which a lot of people don't seem to understand now. ATS, for instance, has a lot of electronica on it, but there ain't no EDM except for maybe a bit of The Catalyst.