Interesting BMI entry...

Ashwhisker

Okay, so I was searching through LP's BMI index, and a couple things caught my eye. The first one is this:

"NBA INSIDE STUFF-BG CUES (Legal Title)"

BG cues are the background music used in TV shows, such as Mike's MTV VMA cues. After a little research, I discovered that NBA Inside Stuff is a TV show that debuted in the 1990s on NBA TV. It would appear that at some point in the late 90s, the guys wrote the cues for this show. Now what I find interesting is, Mark Wakefield is credited on this work. However, unlike the other LP songs crediting Mark that Linkin Park later finished (Runaway, Place for My Head), there is no credit to Chester. This would imply that Xero wrote the songs, not Linkin Park, which means they were done before their record deal. Which begs the question, why would an independent band get a deal to write music for a national TV show?

I was also curious about what "Tampa Finals" credited to Mike would be.

Thoughts?

I actually just discovered this, apparently "Tampa Finals" is a track that Mike wrote for the soundtrack to Rob Dyrdek's film, Street Dreams: http://www.skatevideosite.com/skatevideos/...eams/soundtrack

We knew ages ago that Lying From You (as well as Second to None) was on the soundtrack for this movie, but I never knew Mike did anything else for it. And knowing the plot of the movie, I'm guessing the track serves as background music during the finals in the competition in Tampa that takes place near the end of the movie. I'll try to track down more info/possibly a rip of the song.

As for the Xero credits on NBA Inside Stuff, there's always the possibility that it could have been one of the Xero demo tape tracks used in a video montage on the show or as commercial bumpers or something. Remember, the Xero tracks themselves don't have entries on the BMI catalog since the band wasn't signed to a publishing deal at the time they were recorded, only the subsequent versions of them are found on there (Runaway and Forgotten, although the latter is still listed under the title "Rhinestone"). Any kind of musical piece used in a TV broadcast that isn't already listed under another entry has a generic "BG Cues" on the catalog, like Mike's VMA score tracks for example.

Thanks for finding that, it's amazing it took us this long to discover this. And I imagine the soundtrack is somewhere out there, it's just a matter of someone tracking it down.

For the Xero stuff, that didn't even occur to me, I just assumed that it would be instrumentals of the same type as Mike's VMA cues. But still, whether or not it was something we haven't heard, I'm curious how it ended up on NBA Inside Stuff. Maybe someone in the band had a friend in some position of authority? Who knows...

edit: I found an article about the soundtrack, so apparently it was supposed to be released at some point. It says "stay tuned for info" but I couldn't find anything else.

edit 2: There was a comment on the site you provided giving a link to the soundtrack, and I got all excited until I saw it was missing Tampa Finals. The hell?

Edited by Ash

Another interesting fact is that Pictureboard is on that list... so it really exists

what about the song called Nest? is the name of the ND remix that someone did for the transformers moviem, rgith?

Yeah, it has been for a while now.

Has that soundtracked been released? We need to hunt that down.

Tracking down exactly what Xero music was used on exactly what episode of the NBA show is going to be nearly impossible, but it's worth a shot.

I've been googling for a while now with no dice. I'm not sure what avenues to go down now, but I'm thinking watching episodes from the late 90s and looking at the credits has a slim chance of yielding results. It would be great if we can figure this out.

I think now that we know what it is, the best avenue to pursue to get Tampa Finals might be one that I don't always suggest, which is to ask Mike about it. It worked for the VMA score tracks, I don't see why it wouldn't for something like this. He'd probably throw it up on his Soundcloud page if he noticed people talking about it.

Another interesting fact is that Pictureboard is on that list... so it really exists

what about the song called Nest? is the name of the ND remix that someone did for the transformers moviem, rgith?

Just because it's registered doesn't necessarily mean it's out there anywhere ("Vegas Baby" on Joe's entry is a good example of that). There are a lot of songs that get registered and don't get released for a long time afterwards, if they get released at all.

And yeah, "Nest" is the track on the Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen film score that uses parts of the instrumental of New Divide.

Perhaps the track never made the final movie? It would explain why there was no "Tampa Finals" in the soundtrack I found.

That would make sense, especially considering there aren't a whole lot of results that turn up when you Google "Tampa Finals" along with things like "Mike Shinoda" and "Street Dreams soundtrack."

• 3 weeks later...